Author Topic: RIP Sir Frank Williams  (Read 608 times)

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
RIP Sir Frank Williams
« on: November 28, 2021, 02:51:08 PM »
One of the all-time greats of F1 has sadly passed away.

Thanks for all the great memories Sir Frank RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
Re: RIP Sir Frank Williams
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 11:09:07 PM »
He had a reasonable innings considering the health implications of being wheelchair bound.
The success of his team; the size and diversity of the Williams technical centre in using f1 engineering outside f1 and not going after vanity hypercars ; getting a female to lead the f1  team ; and showing disability should not be an impediment to what a person does.
An impressive life.
Their factory museum is well worth visiting, even for the topiary.

On a macabre note, the picture of his rolled Sierra 1.6 shows how we should temper our nostalgia for cars of yesterday.
A modern car likely would not have left the road, and the structural strength and airbags of today mean very different outcome.

https://wae.com/news/millionth-formula-one-fridge-fitted-in-new-sainsburys-store-as-supermarket-drives-toward-becoming-net-zero-by-2040/

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: RIP Sir Frank Williams
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 12:24:30 AM »
I was never quite sure what to think of Frank Williams as a person, I rather got the impression he wasn't the most friendly of characters, but that may well be misguided. Sad news anyway.

As for old cars, indeed whenever someone says how nostalgic they are for their old Morris/Sunbeam/whatever, I usually comment that (a) they were usually pretty awful things in reality, (b) you never want to have a crash in one.
I happened to pass a Morris 1000 today coming in the opposite direction, the stink of unburnt hydrocarbons was eyewatering (literally). A chap I worked with 30 odd years ago died in crash in a Morris 1000 on the M6, if he'd been in a modern car it's very likely he'd still be here. Be very careful in old cars (says me riding motorbikes....).

Tags:

anything