Author Topic: Jazz as a motorway hack?  (Read 18038 times)

guest1451

Re: Jazz as a motorway hack?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 09:49:40 PM »
Really? Magazines reported an increase in Diesel  car sales over the past few years and that more people are taking the plunge to Diesel for their economy and lower emissions thus leading to lower running costs.. I've been reading Autocar and Auto Express alot lately... Before i bought the Jazz i was seriously considering a Diesel but ultimately my minuscule budget could only get an EXTREEMELY high mileaged diesel so my best bet would be a small CC Petrol engine with reasonable mileage.

I must say though i don't think i made the wrong decision cos the Jazz is a great car which does so many things well and if had had to get another car in the future then another Jazz would definitely be on the list.

guest1393

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 01:13:03 PM »
We love our Jazz's.  Mine has been to Cornwall this year and returned mid 40's at 75 mph with a roof box on (396 miles each way).  Now about to go touring around Scotland.  As I see it if you want a faster more comfortable car spend more money and get lower mpg's. 

I used to have the 2.0 s Honda Stream but locally on the West Yorkshire hills I was only averaging around 26-30 mpg.

Of course there are times I would like more "oomph" as it were but on balance the Jazz does a good job (I must be getting old).

Andrew

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
50 to 53 mpg.......motorway around 70-80 mph then the rest of the journey is across from the M62 to Flamborough a total of 76 miles from my house to my holiday home in my wifes 2006 1.4 Jazz SE
More noise than my Daimler Super V8 but that is to be expected, a bit bumpy (on motorways too) even just after a big service the engine has a slight growl which i took to be the start of something bad but im assured its quite normal....will try some new tyres this time......
But as a motorway transport for the right reasons its great....not a Daimler but it does more than 26 mpg ........

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 05:57:03 PM »
The Statement that Diesel Cars are better for emissions is a matter for conjecture, the Nitrous Oxide (Nox) and PM10 particulates are way too high, even the Euro 5 diesels emit two and a half time  the Nox levels achieved by Petrol Cars from a long way back.  Euro 4 Nox was double the Euro 5 figures.

Another issue is the relative scarcity of Diesel Fuel,  refining Crude Oil  into Diesel yields only 20% of the Barrel,  Petrol gives 40%.  If too many choose Diesel, how long before the Wells run dry?

The modern Diesel is too complicated, Turbo-Chargers/Intercoolers  Adblue/ Eolysis additives etc, and then there is the issue of the Diesel Particulate Filter in the Exhaust, try googling that phrase and see how much trouble they are prooving to be.

nrgmilano

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: SE CVT Mk3
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 04:36:13 AM »
About find out as we are going to Edinburgh from London as thought we would try it once as my wife wont drive my car, a mercedes lol. Not entirely looking forward to it but ours is a cvt which some say is better on the motorway.  Mind you it has to be better than a honda 90 I did it on one time 14 hours

Other than that fpr local driving it cant be beaten especially the traffic these days. Its been daying 50 mpg but some say thats not accurate now

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 11:22:46 AM »
Your best bet is to drive a Jazz over a 30 mile journey inc M ways.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »
Nothing at all wrong with Jazz on the motorway,  we have been from Shropshire to John O groats ( several times ) and the other way to Lands End ( many times) and quite a few places in between in GD and GE Jazzes, obviously the Civic is better,  but nothing wrong with the Jazz, it will sit at 80 all day with no drama... only thing is the Jazz is affected by side winds and the 'bow wave' off big trucks more than some cars ( the Civic is not affected at all ).  Really strange thing to me is that despite Civic having 6 gears and almost 500cc more the revs are pretty much the same ( manual gearbox ) at 70mph - crazy.... 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 09:20:19 PM »
One thing I have found with the CVT is that it is vastly more relaxed on the motorway than the manual. 2,500 rpm at 70 as opposed to 3,500 in my Mk2 manual.

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz Sport 1.5 (The Hondarari)
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 09:31:11 PM »
Anyone who thinks that 100K is a lot of miles in a Honda should take a look at this site - one over 700K and still going strong. As Jeremy Clarkson says, 'Its a Honda and will probably outlast the universe'.

http://www.hondabeat.com/highmiles.php

Ours has done 305,000km and still going strong, we have a 2500km round trip over 5 days coming up shortly, car will be fully loaded with 4 people. We have no hesitation in making the trip with the Honda (GE8 Sport 1.5)..

In our old GD1 1.3 idsi we did 4 up touring and regularly drove 1000km plus over a weekend.

Those who say not suited to motorways are nuts!
You only live once - Enjoy your life...

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 10:11:28 PM »
At the risk of being controversial I personally find the Jazz is better to drive at speed quite simply because that little egg beater under the bonnet performs well at higher revs. I find that around town the lack of torque at low revs and gearing and throttle/clutch action in first/second can be frustrating so I tend to just change up very quickly and idle along. Get it out on the open road/motorway and it is just fine. It's never going to be fast but it is faster than many believe when the Vtec kicks in. I suspect that many Jazz owners are unaware of this but that's probably a good thing!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 11:56:40 PM by MartinJG »

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 11:38:40 PM »
At the risk of being controversial I personally find the Jazz is better to drive at speed quite simply because that little egg beater under the bonnet performs well at higher revs. I find that around town that the lack of torque at low revs and gearing and throttle/clutch action in first/second can be frustrating so I tend to just change up very quickly and idle along. Get it out on the open road/motorway and it is just fine. It's never going to be fast but it is faster than many believe when the Vtec kicks in. I suspect that many Jazz owners are unaware of this but that's probably a good thing!

I agree, ours feels a lot better on the open road with a bit of luggage in it, will sit on the speed limit (I've grown up..) all day long.. Glad we have the conventional auto though in our 09.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2019, 08:10:04 AM »
I agree, ours feels a lot better on the open road with a bit of luggage in it, will sit on the speed limit (I've grown up..) all day long.. Glad we have the conventional auto though in our 09.
Although we shouldn't overlook the Kiwi Jazzes having a slightly bigger engine than the UK models (Jazz Sport excepted).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Paul22118

• Oggy
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz auto Dec 2009
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2019, 07:03:07 PM »
Well speak as one finds...........
My 59 plate mk 2 is an i-shift with 63k.  Looked after, but I go from south coast to Hertfordshire and back every other weekend using 95% motorway. In so doing it is great as long as you hold it to around 70 - 75. Keeps up with most traffic and consistently returns 51mpg.

JRHPNG

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2019, 10:01:03 PM »
Although we shouldn't overlook the Kiwi Jazzes having a slightly bigger engine than the UK models (Jazz Sport excepted).

Good point.

I think our 1.5s are around 88kw (118bhp) I didn't realize there was so much difference, the UK 1.4 Jazz is only 62kw (82bhp) according to Google.

Our GD1 was the 1.3idsi (86bhp) and was slow to get up to speed but cruised really well.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2019, 10:15:11 PM »
u

Good point.

I think our 1.5s are around 88kw (118bhp) I didn't realize there was so much difference, the UK 1.4 Jazz is only 62kw (82bhp) according to Google.

Our GD1 was the 1.3idsi (86bhp) and was slow to get up to speed but cruised really well.

The GE mk2 1.4 ivtec is 100bhp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_L_engine
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 11:11:35 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything