Author Topic: Courtesy headlight suddenly stopped working...  (Read 1604 times)

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
Courtesy headlight suddenly stopped working...
« on: November 23, 2021, 06:54:22 PM »
Hi folks,
Noticed this morning that when my wife unlocked the car and tonight after pulling up the courtesy headlights didn't activate. We haven't as far as we are aware made any adjustment to the settings... Any advice welcome..

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Courtesy headlight suddenly stopped working...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 08:21:55 AM »
Broken lamp?

Toptek

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 10:02:33 AM »
Just an update... Tried it later last night. Opened the car with the remote and no light came on, progressed to open the door and again no lights.
Sat in the car and turned the light stalk to the off position and it's working again.
I thought it had to be set via the set up menu together with the duration.

Toptek

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 04:10:21 PM »
Same thing, just unlocked the car, no headlight light came on. Opened the door, only the roof light came on, started the car and the headlights came on. Checked the auto off setting via the system menu, it's set to 15 seconds, turned the engine off and no auto headlight function...
Not sure if there's anything else I can do..

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 04:48:00 PM »
you can change how long the headlights stay on in the settings on the round screen

sorry you tried that i didnt see
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 04:51:22 PM by monkeydave »

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 05:20:32 PM »
From the manual:
The headlight auto off timer changes the length of time the exterior lights stay on after you close the driver's door

If you unlock the door using the keyfob button the interior light comes on before you open the door, but not the headlights.

RobS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 67-plate 1.3 S
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 07:18:20 PM »
If you turn the headlight off before turning the engine off (might even be before removing the key from the ignition) and then lock the car the lights don't come on next time you unlock the car. At least that's the case for my Jazz S

Toptek

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 01:30:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It was working again yesterday when my wife went to work, I will keep an eye on it.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 01:21:56 PM »
Hi folks,
Noticed this morning that when my wife unlocked the car and tonight after pulling up the courtesy headlights didn't activate. We haven't as far as we are aware made any adjustment to the settings... Any advice welcome..

This Q made me realise that it works erratically on my car as well, so I did some trial and error to try to work out why that was. I think it’s all to do with what you do with the rotary switch on the end of the LH stalk when you park the car.

The first thing to note is that the “off” position isn’t a simple make/break that cuts power to the lights. What it seems to do is disable the automatic systems that turn the lights on, or keep them on. And, once disabled, those systems don’t reset until you start the engine and drive away. Consider two scenarios:
#1. You park the car in the dark and want the headlights to stay on, so you don’t touch the off switch, just lock the car and walk away. The lights will stay on until the auto-off timer turns them off. When you return to the car and unlock it, the auto-on function is still enabled so the lights come on (if it’s dark enough), and will stay on until the timer turns them off.
#2. You park the car in the dark and don’t want the headlights to stay on, so you use the off switch to turn them off, which actually disables the auto-on function. Then you lock the car and walk away with the lights off. When you return to the car and unlock it, the lights won’t come on because the auto-on function is still disabled. That function will only reset when you start the engine and drive away.

At least, that’s what seems to happen with my car. Six years of ownership and still uncovering quirks!

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 02:28:08 PM »
Just tried mine Colin and it does exactly the same.  Like you say we learn something new all the time.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 04:00:14 PM »
As I park some way from the apartment, I set the delay to zero, so they go off as soon as I close the door on leaving the vehicle.  Otherwise, I was hanging around waiting to check that they went out! I rarely touch the lighting switch.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 01:13:39 PM »
I switch off the lights manually after stopping the engine. I don't want them to be off  when I am leaving the car. Unfortunately there no option to force that.

Tags:

anything