Author Topic: Doh!!  (Read 3000 times)

DCJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Hybrid MK4 Jazz
Doh!!
« on: November 17, 2021, 09:43:54 PM »
Hi all, hope everyone is well.

Managed to do this (photo attached) earlier...

Caught the side of the car on some cast iron pipe that was jutting out at the bottom of a soil stack.

Never done anything like this to a car before, any thoughts on repair costs at all?

The scratch isn't very deep, but deep enough if that makes sense. The body work has pushed in on the door and unfortunately the sill is dented too  :(

Expatman

• Approved Member
Re: Doh!!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 10:32:09 PM »
Try one of the “Dents” companies who do repairs on-site. They will quickly tell you whether they can do it or not. Neighbour had a small  6” dent repaired by (I think) Chips Away they did an excellent job and you couldn’t see where the dent had been. I believe he paid about £150 - but that was couple of years ago.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 11:01:11 PM »
Hi all, hope everyone is well.

Managed to do this (photo attached) earlier...

Caught the side of the car on some cast iron pipe that was jutting out at the bottom of a soil stack.

Never done anything like this to a car before, any thoughts on repair costs at all?

The scratch isn't very deep, but deep enough if that makes sense. The body work has pushed in on the door and unfortunately the sill is dented too  :(
Buggeration!
Neil Ives

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 05:50:44 AM »
A dent company may be able to fix it for you where you are.

I know someone who had caught their front wing and dented/scratched it.

After a couple of hours it had been completely repaired and you couldn’t tell anything had been done to it. It was fixed on the drive, and they even had an awning if the weather had been raining.

Cost was a couple of hundred- I believe they quote based on the size of repair required.

DCJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 06:22:34 AM »
Thanks all for the replies.

Buggeration Indeed!

I've contacted Chips Away, their initial service seems good, will see how I go later today hopefully.

I have also contacted Car Care Plan, as when I signed up to the PCP on the car that was something that was offered "in the price..." we agreed on at the time. I'm not sure it's worth the paper it's written on, but will see what they say.

Thanks again all, will let you know how I go.

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 07:12:11 AM »
This was one of my considerations for choosing the Crosstar version - simply because my wife had a similar incident in her Hyundai IX35. The bottom has sacrificial plastic and, although that's not cheap to replace either, it took the brunt of the impact without denting the floorpan.

Of course, with any car you can go for a 100K without having so much as a dink. So just very unlucky and I guess it made a horrendous noise!

Upside is that it for the experts it should be all in a day's work. I've had friends with similar and I thought they would never get a perfect repair. But afterwards it was impossible to spot. So, fingers crossed, this will be the same!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 08:31:01 AM »
Another vote for Chipsaway: repaired dent in Jazz boot. Two years old repair.. looks like new.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 09:00:31 AM »
... I have also contacted Car Care Plan, as when I signed up to the PCP on the car that was something that was offered "in the price..." we agreed on at the time. I'm not sure it's worth the paper it's written on, but will see what they say.
I also took out that scheme. Please come back and let us know if it was a good idea.
Neil Ives

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 09:18:42 AM »
Try one of the “Dents” companies who do repairs on-site. They will quickly tell you whether they can do it or not. Neighbour had a small  6” dent repaired by (I think) Chips Away they did an excellent job and you couldn’t see where the dent had been. I believe he paid about £150 - but that was couple of years ago.

I used chips away for some damage and they were great, you couldn't tell it had been repaired.
I would try them first and see if they can do it.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

DCJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 07:48:56 PM »
Hi all, thanks for the replies, appreciated.

I've had a quote back from Chips Away, they've been prompt and easy to deal with so far

The estimate has come in at £432.

Obviously a fair bit more than I was hoping for, but I understand the work involved.

I'm waiting on the Car Care Plan people to get back to me, once I've had an answer from them I'll let you guys know for those that are interested.

Thanks again all.

hemming

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 09:25:51 PM »
I had a more minor scrape a few years ago and the estimate from Chips Away was, IIRC, about £260.
On the recommendation of a friend I went to a local (Gloucestershire) body repair chap who hummed and ahh'ed and said "how would £70 sound?" It sounded great and so was the work he did. If you can get a reliable recommendation you may save a considerable sum.
Hope you are happy with whatever you decide to do.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 05:38:52 PM »
Chip away type enterprises are great for some types of damage . Some  Dents can be pulled out with a sucker puller, scuffs  and damage polished out, slight scratches filled and colour blended. possibly with a fine air brush.   As soon as the damage is bad enough to need more extensive filling, and  the whole panel or a substantial area needs spraying  and expertly blended to the original  it may be cheaper to take the car to a body shop.   To some extent  whether it was a deep gouge or a slight one that necessitated the respray  wont make much difference the overall cost.   And if the panel is easily replaced  and sprayed  such as a front wing, some quite horrendous damage may be relatively cheap to repair.

The photo shows  damage left on my corsa  in a car park by person unknown.    My only consolation is damage to his car was probably much worse.
Its not as bad as it looks.  The paint was mostly his.    I was able to polish 99% of the damage out myself with fine wet and dry and T cut.  I had to fill 2 small nicks down to the plastic  with colour matched  scratch paint. 
Ideal job for chip away.  But I have a bit of bodywork experience and it cost less than £10 in materials.  More than good enough for a 10 year old car.

With  minor damage that need not involve an insurance company  I've read that its best not to even enquire about it with your insurers.    Even if you make no claim  it will be recorded as you having an accident and considered an increased risk.   It wont affect your no claim bonus, but it might affect the next renewal premium , or a quotes from other insurers (They share information) .But you wont know the price is higher than it might have been.

A bit off topic, but two other insurance gems I learned recently. When I bought the Jazz I decided to keep the yaris for a while  as its on winter tyres.    I assumed my no claims bonus could be used for two cars.  Not so. The second car has to earn its own no claim bonus. Some multi car policies offer a discount thats not a true NCB, but amounts to a similar saving.

So my wife  insured it in her name with a different company. The quote was for her having a history as a named driver on my policy.   On the actual application the price had gone up by £6.  She then noticed her date of birth was wrong by one day due to a typo. When she corrected this the price came down  again. The  call centre didnt know the reason  but its probably because with the wrong D.O.B her 'history' was not recognised by the Motor Insurers bureau.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 05:40:26 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

DCJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2021, 07:31:51 PM »
Evening,

Hope everyone is well.

Thought I'd update you on my wounded Jazz and reply for those that asked about the "cosmetic insurance" experience.

I'd struggled to get hold of that company from the start, so tried elsewhere while waiting on them.

Chips Away were very prompt in accessing the damage over photos on WhatsApp and quick to get a quote back.

£430 and about a days work.

However, the cover I took out at Honda's suggestion appears to be useless. It's with a company called Car Care Plan in Bradford. I hadn't heard anything for over a week so called them.

After waiting over half an hour for them to pick up the phone (admittedly, not unusual for companies these days...) they started to process my claim.

Without seeing any photos I was advised that the repair cost would be around £24.

£24!

They said they'd send me an email and for me to reply to that with photos of the damage. After that I should expect to wait a few days and they would respond.

Once I'd done that part (the email did arrive later that day), I thought I'd check them out online for reviews.

Let's just say that in the main they're terrible at best. Long waits, ignored claims, claims kicked out because of some small print buried away, people finally having work done after six months only for it to be beyond substandard, the list really did go on and on.

After reading this I got in touch with a local bodyshop who have excellent reviews on Google etc.

Speaking to the gent there tonight, he's advised that he'll need the car for 3 days and will have to spray both the back door where the damage is and also the front door in order for the colour to match in. Also here's confident he'll sort the sill out easily enough.

He also noticed straightaway that it's a pearlescent paint on it, explaining that while he could never match Honda's machines, he will get the finish so that it's not visible (here's hoping!).

Total price for their work is £370.

I'm going with that option, it's booked in for a couple of weeks time. Fingers crossed it comes out well as I do love my Jazz, I couldn't be happier with it and am still annoyed every time I walk up to it and see that scratch and dent!

Also, I'm going to email Honda regarding their affiliation with Car Care Plan. How a company as reputable as Honda can advise signing up to a product with a company that seems as terrible as Car Care Plan I'll never know. My intention is to get a refund from them and cancel the plan, we'll see how that goes...

Thanks all.

Dave

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2021, 08:15:52 PM »
Well, thanks for the update Dave. Please come back after the work is done and let us know how it went. It is very annoying when a new car gets damaged.
Neil Ives

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2021, 08:48:17 PM »
Hope it goes well.

I bought a 10yr old Yaris a couple of months ago, very nice condition, low miles/one owner etc. It had been traded in at the main agents, the dealer I bought from got it from them direct.
The top rail of the drivers door is silver, the vertical post at the back is black. The silver had a patch which obviously had been scratched somehow and an amateur repair resulted in a paint reaction which left it "bloomed". I asked for that to be fixed before taking the car. Their mobile paint guy happened to be there on another job, looked at it, and started talking about doing the whole roof side rail "to match". I said on a 10yr old car all I wanted was for an even gloss paint on the top door frame rail, leave the other paint as factory. He was talking £100 to the dealer.

When I collected the car the door had been fixed to an excellent standard. Turns out the mobile paint guy was on holiday, the dealer took it to  a local paint shop, they did just the door frame, as far as I can tell it's a perfect match, and the roof rail is still factory paint. Result. Turns out they charged £50, and the dealer has a new paint shop service!

Tags: