Author Topic: Crosstar ACC spooked by motorway gantries  (Read 989 times)

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
Crosstar ACC spooked by motorway gantries
« on: September 05, 2022, 12:36:49 PM »
Twice on a recent journey on the M1 Motorway with ACC set to 70 on sections clear of traffic ahead the car suddenly braked to around 60 mph when very close to an overhead gantry (the ones with lane/speed indicator boards), and then returned to 70 immediate after passing under. For the rest of the 150 miles journey there were no issues.  Anyone else had this?  Should I report it?

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
Re: Crosstar ACC spooked by motorway gantries
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 01:42:44 PM »
I would call that a software bug

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 01:46:56 PM »
I still maintain allowing the car to control your speed dynamically isn't always safe.

I tried ACC when I first got mine and it wasn't consistent.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 05:34:49 PM »

I've not noticed it yet  in the UK  but sometimes on a continental journey  mine  showed a conditional speed limit sign   (eg 30 kph  with some stars under it which I assume means in snow) They were definitely not actually displayed,  (It being August and I looked specially. )   And it also displayed some signs that were there, but indicated they were time related   (eg only during the rush hour)There  was a small time plate, but could it have read that?     So I think some speed limits might be included in the system as GPS co ordinates  rather than actually reading their physical presence.    Maybe its a glitch related to this. The gantry might sometimes display   variable speed limits and the sytem may have slowed you down for  this, even though it wasnt currently displayed.  Just an idea.  Do you have it set to comply with speed limit signs? 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 05:38:25 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 06:22:44 PM »
I don't believe that the OPs issue is with false speed indication (intelligent speed limiter), I think it is the ACC seeing the gantry as an obstruction ahead, possibly by the camera aiming too high.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 06:57:21 PM »
Its not just Honda, in my Toyota it's such a nuisance and irritates me with unnecessary braking, even though it only occasionally happens, I have given up using it.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 06:11:06 AM »
The moral here is, don't follow a 21 plate, or newer car too close because it could unexpectedly hit the brakes.
Let's be careful out there !

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 07:02:34 AM »
The moral here is, don't follow a 21 plate, or newer car too close because it could unexpectedly hit the brakes.
Or don't follow ANY car too close.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 09:35:58 AM »
I have had the issue of the ACC? seeing something on the left, for instance a slow moving truck, and putting the anchors on. I am now expecting this behavior so I dab the accelerator which tells the system to resume. This behaviour is no longer as scary as it was when I first bought the car.

I wonder if the camera view can be turned slightly to the right.

Despite this 'glitch' I often use ACC.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 09:39:49 AM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 09:48:10 AM »
If it is a function of ACC or Collison damage mitigation it sounds like the system occasionally detects a gantry, regards it as   a solid hazard and brakes. But because its so high  it might only detect it at the last moment and will only have time to slow to 60 mph before the car is again clear of the apparent hazard and   resumes normal   speed.

I'd have a word with the dealer.  Its possible the detection sensitivity   needs calibration, or the sensing camera may be pointing a bit too high.   (Were you for instance  carrying  a heavy load in the boot?  Just a though here.  Does anyone know if adjusting headlight beam height to compensate for  car loading also  adjust camera aim height?  If not then maybe that a refinement Honda could consider for the future)  ) 

Its possible that adjusting follow  distance  for the ACC using the normal dashboard controls would make a difference,   but you shouldnt have to  rely on your own adjustment to minimise an issue with the camera calibration

« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 09:52:37 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 10:00:14 AM »
I have had the issue of the ACC? seeing something on the left, for instance a slow moving truck, and putting the anchors on. I am now expecting this behavior so I dab the accelerator which tells the system to resume. This behaviour is no longer as scary as it was when I first bought the car.

I wonder if the camera view can be turned slightly to the right.

Despite this 'glitch' I often use ACC.  ;D

Likewise, also occasional barrier where no hard shoulder.
Overall still happy to use and stay alert for any vagaries that may occur - most from other drivers behaviour.

R2D3

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 12:07:52 PM »
Were you for instance  carrying  a heavy load in the boot?

I think you may have got the answer.  We were returning from Southampton to York after a two week cruise with fairly heavy luggage in boot & on folder back seat.  It's never happened before so this may just be the cause.  Will be doing a similar journey in a couple of weeks without the luggage so it will be interesting to see if the same gantries cause an issue.

Tags: