Author Topic: Annoying Window Rattle!  (Read 1714 times)

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Annoying Window Rattle!
« on: November 16, 2021, 07:20:18 AM »
To help de-mist in the mornings (and not just rely on the front demister control) I wind my windows down slightly.

However, I've discovered that, in doing so, the window emits a sound similar to bubble wrap being popped. So, going down a road, with literally every bump / surface imperfection it will make a tapping / popping sound. Once it's opened a bit more the noise stops.

The passenger side is exactly the same, so it is not faulty assembly but a "feature". My dealer said the same. They road tested a customer car and replicated the noise.

Of course, with ACC and with it being winter this is not a huge deal, but in spring / summer I'll find it an annoyance. And can't believe this wasn't picked up during endurance testing!

Photo attached (shows the amount window has to be open when noise is heard + my finger shows the exact point where the tapping occurs if pressed).

Does anyone else have the same?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Annoying Window Rattle!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 07:26:11 AM »
I never open my windows hence why I've not noticed it.

As you say, with climate, not necessary. I only used to open my drivers window to swipe my work barrier pass.
Let's be careful out there !

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 07:31:43 AM »
have the same problem with my mk1 on the passenger side.. its loose play in the runners and mech.. i had to change my passenger mirror some time ago . sprayed plenty of white grease on the runners etc .. the noise has vanished since

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 08:30:08 AM »
I tend to drive with windows down about the same on my Crosstar but haven't noticed the noise

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 12:08:15 PM »
I've had similar on other cars and makes.     

I have just provoked the rattle on my car, by shaking the window   when its wound  down as far as you show. 

It occurs because in that    position the window glass is only constrained from vibrating  by the short upright section of channelling by the mirror. 100mm -( 4 ) " or less depending on exact position.   When its fully up its secured by the whole channelling and when its fully down any glass vibration no longer 'knocks'. . 

Its partly as a  consequence of the car styling.

But that short section of channeling does seem to be quite hard plastic,rather than rubber.  Possibly because its subject to more concentrated wear and tear.

Maybe Honda could or should find a solution

In the meantime I hope the original poster wont be offended if I am reminded of an old Joke  .

" Doctor  I get neck pain, but only when I climb on top of the wardrobe"     "Then dont climb on the wardrobe" 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jayt43

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 12:12:59 PM »
Ha ha, not offended at all :D

Still, now I've discovered it, it does rather bug me!

guest10167

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 02:34:36 PM »
I discovered exaxctly the same thing not long after receiving my Jazz in March. I notified the dealer, who in turn notified Honda (Belgium) headquarters. They replied that the sound is "design specific" (literal translation) and for the time being there will be no counter measures.
Of course I was disappointed by their answer. The only solution was to open the windows a little further than I would like to, as the rattling occured at my personal sweet spot ;).
However, after about half a year of driving, the rattling became significantly less. The windows seem to have 'settled' and now the rattling occurs only on the worst of road surfaces. So I can live with it now.

Still, I'm surprised a framed window can rattle so loudly. I've never had a similar experience with any of my four previous cars, not even the first one: an Alfa Romeo with frameless windows and worse overall built quality...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Jayt43

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 02:59:41 PM »
The only solution was to open the windows a little further than I would like to, as the rattling occurred at my personal sweet spot ;).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Ha ha, this is my exact same solution. And I was also surprised how loud it was! Oh well, I guess I have to go passed my sweet spot and get cold!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 03:13:23 PM »
I'm struggling to understand why, with an air conditioned and heated cabin, with pollen filter, you need a window open ?

Noisier, colder or hotter depending on season.

Probably just me
Let's be careful out there !

Jayt43

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 03:25:46 PM »
Plenty of reasons, but hearing my Jazz in EV mode at low speeds with its "Stranger Things" soundtrack is among them!

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 03:33:59 PM »
I'm struggling to understand why, with an air conditioned and heated cabin, with pollen filter, you need a window open ?

Noisier, colder or hotter depending on season.

Probably just me

Probably they want to open a window to see how by how much the fuel consumption increases.

guest10167

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 03:13:05 PM »
The only solution was to open the windows a little further than I would like to, as the rattling occurred at my personal sweet spot ;).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Ha ha, this is my exact same solution. And I was also surprised how loud it was! Oh well, I guess I have to go passed my sweet spot and get cold!

I would rather close the window than get cold to be honest  ;).

Anyway I hope your windows settle down like mine did over time.

Good luck!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 04:18:31 PM »
When I investigated earlier and provoked a rattle I could kind of see where and why it was rattling . The outside edge of a bit of plastic channel knocking against the plastic of the door mirror trim..  NOT the gap between the glass and the channeling.

If you don't mind a bit of a bodge  and entirely at your own risk   you could try poking a little bit of thin rubber or something into the relevant gap. Its quite a narrow joint. Preferably using  something that can be hooked out again if necessary without causing damage. Again at your own risk

A word of warning. When I was investigating I nearly got my fingers caught in the window as I wound it up. Although I expect Honda, like most cars  have a fail safe emergency stop  feature that prevents physical harm if a body part gets trapped   I think it would, at the very least, have given me  a nasty nip.    I hoped to confirm this but my wife refused to co operate  ;D 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 04:31:08 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 04:31:03 PM »
A word of warning. When I was investigating I nearly got my fingers caught in the window as I wound it up. Although I expect Honda, like most cars  have a fail safe emergency stop  feature that prevents physical harm if a body part gets trapped   I think it would, at the very least, have given me  a nasty nip.    I hoped to confirm this but my wife refused to co operate  ;D
My wife would jump at the chance to slice off parts of my body. Oh, wait!
Neil Ives

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2021, 04:34:43 PM »
My wife would jump at the chance to slice off parts of my body. Oh, wait!

Oh no, she would have been the victim.  My fat fingers  would not have been a proper test. ;)

Tags:

anything