Author Topic: New HR V. Another negative review.  (Read 4416 times)

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
New HR V. Another negative review.
« on: October 26, 2021, 01:17:59 PM »

This is from CarGurus. Again there is the complaint about the rise in engine revs if you floor it, but barely a mention of the environmental and fuel economy of the hybrid system.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: New HR V. Another negative review.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 01:22:12 PM »
This 'professional' reviewer doesn't know how to drive a hybrid.

As mentioned many times, they review them like they're testing a performance car.

Totally invalid.
Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 01:35:21 PM »
This 'professional' reviewer doesn't know how to drive a hybrid.

As mentioned many times, they review them like they're testing a performance car.

Totally invalid.
But is it invalid? The reviewer did say that driven lightly it was a pleasant car, however, if you try and get a little more performance or cruise at motorway speed then the engine noise was loud and could be felt through the steering wheel. I agree that many reviewers test drive like a rally driver but every review now makes the same point, we will have to wait until we get owner driver reports before knowing the "truth".

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 02:11:05 PM »
The speed limit on UK motorways is 70 mph (113 kph). At that speed, the (gasoline) engine of our Jazz is barely audible. What has Honda done to make the HR-V suddenly noisy?
If nothing goes right, go left!

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 11:56:08 PM »

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 06:53:53 AM »
Cars with CVT gearboxes are just different from manuals and torque converter automatics.  Hybrids are different again.   A lot of these testers are just silly.  Many seem frustrated racing drivers or like to pretend that they are racing drivers, always mentioning how much or how little "feel" there is through the steering etc etc. 

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 06:59:05 AM »
Unless the HRV is different, I'm finding my Jazz to be quieter on the motorway than my previous 9G Civic.

I cannot hear the engine kicking in and out or running on motorways. The only indication I have is the 'instant MPG' bar flicking between under 70 and at 140.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
New HR V. Another negative review.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 08:40:57 AM »
My Jazz is quieter on the motorway than my previous low revving diesel Volvo.

The HRV has almost the same engine/motor and isn’t that much bigger.

The only time it’s noisy is if you want to accelerate up a steep hill, but that’s only for a few seconds.

Most of the time the engine is perfectly fine and quite quick accelerating at 60-70mph without much noise using 1/2 accelerator.

If you try to get 100% acceleration all the time then it is noisy, a lot of journalists seem to do this when 80% is much quieter - it just doesn’t feel fast even though the speed is increasing fine.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 08:43:30 AM by sportse »

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 10:50:20 AM »
Top Gear has published a positive review of the HR-V, mentioned engine noise but discounted it as a problem easily controlled by the driver.
More positive reviews now as UK road tests by a wider group of drivers on UK roads are published.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 11:01:25 AM »
Unless the HRV is different, I'm finding my Jazz to be quieter on the motorway than my previous 9G Civic.

I cannot hear the engine kicking in and out or running on motorways. The only indication I have is the 'instant MPG' bar flicking between under 70 and at 140.
I am not sure why people who dislike the CVT 'MOOO' buy any car fitted with such.
Personally I don't mind it. I have owned a MkII jazz. and SWMBO has a MKIII currently. Neither of us are 'offended' by it. The only thing she really does not like is the long pause between hitting the throttle, and the car actually gathering up it's skirts when exiting a side road. It can cause a few scary moments sometimes.

My Karoq 1.5 DSG is pretty loud when given full 'beans' about the same as the CVT, but at least it gets up and goes when so instructed!.
The one thing about the Karoq that I will be glad to see the back of, when I get my HR-V of is the delay similar to CVT on takeoff, which is a mixture of turbo 'wind-up' and DSG 'lag'.
I was most impressed on the Crosstar drive, with the way it leapt off the mark under E power. INSTANT torque & GO! LUVLY!!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 01:20:19 PM »
Cars with CVT gearboxes are just different from manuals and torque converter automatics.  Hybrids are different again.   A lot of these testers are just silly.  Many seem frustrated racing drivers or like to pretend that they are racing drivers, always mentioning how much or how little "feel" there is through the steering etc etc.
Well done TG you are the first to mention the regen paddles! So important in a hybrid.
So far the only thing that is concerning me is the 'get-up-and-go' or lack thereof, apparently, for overtaking/Mway joining.
Since 90% of my driving is urban I am hoping it is not too dreadful. Roll on my test drive!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 10:32:02 PM »
f you try to get 100% acceleration all the time then it is noisy, a lot of journalists seem to do this when 80% is much quieter - it just doesn’t feel fast even though the speed is increasing fine.

The Jazz is very understated when pulling away, whilst still providing more than enough acceleration.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 04:05:38 PM »
...Breaking traction isn't difficult at all!  :o  ;D

Tags:

anything