Author Topic: Long distance travel with Jazz, problems?  (Read 4306 times)

JazzyJazz1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 Graphite (2006)
Re: Long distance travel with Jazz, problems?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2021, 09:32:13 AM »
Give the auxiliary drive belt a quick visual inspection to make sure no serious cracking or fraying, that is all Honda do to check them. The belts will past well past 100K.

Thanks I recently did that actually... it look OK, not perfect but OK. It is squeaking a bit and my dad who is a car mechanic sprayed some W40 and its a lot less noisy now. AC has just been filled and is working perfectly. Been trying to find mechanic failures on this car for the past weeks but cant seem to find any. Only some spots of rust, the same old problem of a little bit of water in the boot and a gear box that a little stiff and bearings are a bit noisy but again nothing that my dad said was problematic to quote: "you can this car for at least a few years like this" ... which was exactly my plan and I'll sell it (for parts) as soon as real issues come up. But with only 140,000km it should be OK to drive another 100,000km which is my goal. Then I spend 1000 euro on 50,000km driven with this car. Always serviced by Honda, new tires and relatively new brakes with just 10,000km of wear on them. So plan is to drive it till death and see how far I get with my little budget. 

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2021, 10:37:37 AM »
Give the auxiliary drive belt a quick visual inspection to make sure no serious cracking or fraying, that is all Honda do to check them. The belts will past well past 100K.

Thanks I recently did that actually... it look OK, not perfect but OK. It is squeaking a bit and my dad who is a car mechanic sprayed some W40 and its a lot less noisy now. AC has just been filled and is working perfectly. Been trying to find mechanic failures on this car for the past weeks but cant seem to find any. Only some spots of rust, the same old problem of a little bit of water in the boot and a gear box that a little stiff and bearings are a bit noisy but again nothing that my dad said was problematic to quote: "you can this car for at least a few years like this" ... which was exactly my plan and I'll sell it (for parts) as soon as real issues come up. But with only 140,000km it should be OK to drive another 100,000km which is my goal. Then I spend 1000 euro on 50,000km driven with this car. Always serviced by Honda, new tires and relatively new brakes with just 10,000km of wear on them. So plan is to drive it till death and see how far I get with my little budget.

What kind of 'mechanic' sprays WD-40 ( a petroleum based product ) on a drive belt  :o  The real remedy was to check and adjust the tension,  could be a shonky short term fix causing a long term problem.  Mind you, once WD-40 dries it does become a good glue, as well as a very efficient dirt magnet.

The old saying 'what is the difference between superglue and WD-40 ? about 3 days'.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 01:17:47 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2021, 09:23:33 PM »
I remember spraying wd40 on exposed pulley bearings etc to identify which one is in need of replacement  :D it makes them go quiet for a few minutes if they are on the way out.

I'd change the belt for sake of £20 or so. Mine snapped at about 130,000 miles without warning. The ribbed type have a sneaky way of looking OK but one day the belt slips a bit and they just give in.

JazzyJazz1

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 Graphite (2006)
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2021, 03:46:03 PM »

What kind of 'mechanic' sprays WD-40 ( a petroleum based product ) on a drive belt  :o  The real remedy was to check and adjust the tension,  could be a shonky short term fix causing a long term problem.  Mind you, once WD-40 dries it does become a good glue, as well as a very efficient dirt magnet.

The old saying 'what is the difference between superglue and WD-40 ? about 3 days'.

not belt just on the pulley... belt is fine

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 04:12:20 PM »
The ribbed type have a sneaky way of looking OK but one day the belt slips a bit and they just give in.

Cracking really needs to be checked from the side and the underside of the belt, ideally when the wheel arch lining is removed.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2021, 05:17:46 PM »
Please advise alternative sources for the belt,  the Honda part from a Honda Dealer is (from memory) over £70

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2021, 05:34:38 PM »
Try someplace like Bearing Services.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2021, 06:19:28 PM »
https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-jazz-serpentine-alternator-belt-2002-2008/

I got one for Civic from Cox, ( I had the aircon clutch in bits at 70,000 miles so decided better to fit a replacement while I had access - Cox did supply a threading / routing diagram with the new belt, thank goodness, it was tricky enough to get the belt going around the correct pulleys the correct direction with the diagram.  Belt length varies if aircon fitted or not - the MK1 2002 to 2008 is manual tension by pivoting alternator - later models are tensioned by a spring loaded idler pulley.   
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2021, 11:44:00 AM »
If you are in the UK, useful suppliers of auto parts which I often use are
https://www.gsfcarparts.com/
https://www.eurocarparts.com/
They both have outlets over much of England at least, or postage is usually free above a relatively low price point. Make sure you use the relevant discount code when ordering, they change regularly.
They both stock well respected brands for many parts, Dayco, Conti, Gates etc for belts, just need to see what the options listed are (often shows a budget version as a search result but optional products are generally listed to the side).

I have no commercial connection, just a customer.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2021, 06:58:03 PM »
I got mine from euro car parts, was about £15

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2021, 07:22:59 PM »

Considering the faff to get to the belt and fit a new one, and the results of a belt failing - and the OEM one is known to last 120,000 miles or more I do not see the point in skimping.  I was engineering manager in a huge automated warehouse and we had more belts in the facility than you could shake a stick at,  and I know cheap belts were  not a good investment.   Especially if they failed during busy periods,  some of the worst belts we had were Continental, don't know if their tyres are any better ?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 09:50:27 PM by culzean »

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2021, 11:53:51 PM »

Considering the faff to get to the belt and fit a new one, and the results of a belt failing - and the OEM one is known to last 120,000 miles or more I do not see the point in skimping  and I know cheap belts were  not a good investment.
Agree, i do not seek a cut-price part which may no last. I assume Honda buy in the belt from a manufacturer and add a big markup to the price.  I'd like to know the name of the manufacturer  who supply to Honda.

Tags:

anything