Author Topic: Situation with a Compact Spare Tyre for a Jazz 2018  (Read 5477 times)

seeknp

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 I-DSI SE CVT-7 5dr 2005
Situation with a Compact Spare Tyre for a Jazz 2018
« on: October 25, 2021, 11:06:30 PM »
Hi.

THIS IS ON BEHALF OF A FRIEND. OK

She has a 2018 Honda Jazz. She tells me that when she bought it new, it was not supplied with a Compact Spare Tyre.
As a owner of a 2005 Honda Jazz my car has a Compact Spare Tyre.

Is it correct that no spare tyres are sold with later models of Honda Jazz?
They appear to be quite expensive and it seems strange to me that her car does not have Compact Spare Tyre.

Can owners of a 2018 Jazz please advise if their cars were sold with a spare tyre.

Thank you

Alistair
Usk
Wales

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Situation with a Compact Spare Tyre for a Jazz 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 07:42:41 AM »
None of the Mk3 Jazzes (ie between late 2015 up to mid 2020) came with a space-saver spare (or a jack) as standard. Instead you got a bottle of sealant and a small compressor. You could buy one as an extra, complete with a different foam insert to fit around it. In some of the later cars, Honda actually changed the design of the under-boot area so that it wasn’t big enough for any sort of spare wheel; your friend can tell if she has one of these by looking under the foam insert to see if her car has the threaded socket to take the retaining bolt for the spare wheel. If that's not there, she may not have space for a spare even if she wants one.

It can be quite an uncomfortable feeling not having a spare, but punctures do seem to be rare these days and your friend might like to consider whether she really sees herself changing a wheel at the roadside rather than calling out a breakdown service; personally I’d prefer someone else to do it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 11:19:46 AM by ColinB »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 10:04:52 AM »
I have a space saver spare wheel and infill bought from Honda for when I had my MK3 ex. I kept it hoping it would fit my new car but the PCD is wrong. It has never been used. If your friend is interested I would like half for what I paid for it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 12:32:19 PM »
My 58-plate Mk2 wasn't going to come with any spare until I specifically requested the dealer fit a compact spare.

Thankfully it was never been needed in the 12 years (and 145,000 miles) I had the car, and the current owner (a relative) hasn't needed it yet. Actually, given the age of the tyre, it probably needs replacing even though it's never been used.

2robbie2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 3
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 03:11:01 PM »
I purchased an ex-demonstrator 69 plate Honda Jazz straight from the dealer and this only came with the compressor and foam. As others have pointed out, the wheel well in the boot that previously held a spare wheel is no longer deep enough to do so on the later Mark III Jazz models and does not therefore have a fixing point to stop it moving around or coming free in an accident (there are a number of previous topic threads about this matter if you look back).

Having said that, I purchased a space saver spare wheel and put it into the wheel well with a lot of sheets to prevent it moving around and have also secured the compressor, foam and a Honda Jack in with it for good measure. For safety, I secured the space saver wheel with 4 ratchet straps connected to the 4 tie-down points in the boot. The thin floor carpet board that covers the wheel well now projects very slightly above where it should be and is not perfectly flat, but I have covered this with a Honda Jazz boot tray so it is not visible and doesn't present any problems with shopping etc.

It works extremely well for me and gives me peace of mind for all my journeys. In the event that I go on long trips away lasting a few days or more (rare), I take a full size spare wheel with me for good measure and also tie this down with ratchet straps.

Perhaps I'm being too over cautious on this and from what I have read, the foam and compressor will fix most punctures, so please don't be too fearful if you just rely on this. Furthermore, many breakdown companies now carry multi-fit spare wheels for an emergency.

FarNorthJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi CVT
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 11:53:51 PM »
My 2018 Jazz EX,  bought used in 2021 came with no spare wheel and a plastic moulding in the wheel well containing a compressor and a bottle of sealant.

You will need to check the size of the wheel well after removing the plastic moulding,  but most 2018 models should be able to take either a full size or a space saver

Buying new from a Honda dealer is expensive,  but you can get quite adequate wheels on ebay.  Some are new or used space savers,  and some are full size used wheels that will match the style of the existing wheels. (check the images for the wheels - some may have cosmetic damage that will not matter if only intended as a spare)   For full size wheels, the choice on ebay is to buy only a wheel rim, ( and get your local tyre shop to fit a cheap tyre),  or to get a rim complete with a part used tyre. 

Remember you will also need to buy a jack, -  check that the anvil on the jack will fit the seam on the sill of the Jazz and lift without any risk of slipping off.   I was able to get a genuine Honda jack on ebay. You will also need a hold down bolt to lock the spare wheel in place. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 10:14:23 AM by FarNorthJazz »

Gzbev

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 09:34:31 PM »
I have a space saver spare wheel and infill bought from Honda for when I had my MK3 ex. I kept it hoping it would fit my new car but the PCD is wrong. It has never been used. If your friend is interested I would like half for what I paid for it.

Hi, I might be interested in this depending on price and where you are in the country.

Thanks

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 05:57:32 AM »
When replacing tyre repair kit with a spare wheel - space saver or full size - you need the tools to replace tyre (jack and wrench) and items to keep the spare tyre in place.
Here is the list of the parts I purchased for the full size spare in my GK Jazz:

84550-T5S-T30 Box assy, cargo floor
83850-SD2-000 Plate, anchor bolt
83853-SA7-980 Bolt, anchor, 79 mm
89211-S05-003 Wrench, wheel
89310-T5A-E01 Jack
42700-TAR-G01 Disc Wheel 15x6J

The new shallow floor pan came for MY2020, so up to MY2019 there is space for a full size spare tyre.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 06:02:27 AM by TnTkr »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 10:26:55 AM »

Hi, I might be interested in this depending on price and where you are in the country.

Thanks
I live in the Midlands.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 03:32:13 PM »
Honda's spare wheel kit.

Gzbev

• Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 01:57:30 AM »
I’m in the West Midlands, how much do you want for it?

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 10:13:46 AM »
Well there you go we could be neighbours.
Cost me £205.20, I still have the original receipt.
I would like £100.00.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2021, 07:26:39 PM »
Sounds like a bargain. I managed to put together a kit from fleabay, an unused spare sacesaver wheel of the correct size from a breakers and a 15" insert with jack etc, but I did have to alter the top of the jack (was Hyundai) to suit the Jazz sill seam, so a lot of faff and cost around £70 altogether. £100 for the right stuff is a bit of a no-brainer.

Gzbev

• Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2021, 12:20:30 AM »
Well there you go we could be neighbours.
Cost me £205.20, I still have the original receipt.
I would like £100.00.

I’m in Stourbridge, if it fits my wife’s 17 plate’s boot I’m interested

Madelvic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: EX Navi
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 05:11:40 PM »
FYI a full size wheel fits in the wheel well.  We have a fifth alloy and tyre

Tags:

anything