Author Topic: Auto handbrake setting.  (Read 1953 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Auto handbrake setting.
« on: September 29, 2021, 04:45:38 PM »
I have recently set my handbrake to apply automatically when leaving the car.
I find that it’s applies the brake as expected, but does not always release it, when the accelerator is applied and has to be released manually.
Not sure why.
Has anyone else experienced this situation?

guest9814

Re: Auto handbrake setting.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 05:13:50 PM »
Do you use safety belt ?
Handbrake will only release when driver belt used
If driver belt not locked and you push accelerator with activated handbrake you will see message on screen states that you should release handbrake and car will mowe slightly with handbrake but will stop if i remember right, happened one time (not read all user manual when needed  :))

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 05:16:12 PM »
Electric handbrakes are the devils work,  my bro in law had a Ford C max with electric handbrake and it used to go into garage about 6 times a year with handbrake problems, what a PITA it was ( company car luckily, otherwise he may well have driven it to nearest deep lake and pushed it in ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 05:30:00 PM »
I must admit I do prefer the tried and trusted mechanical lever.

I never used to have to look down to find the handbrake but I'm still often glancing down as I try and find the parking brake lever.

I refuse to use brake hold because I don't want permanent brake lights when stationary blinding the people behind. I think brake hold is a good idea but once my foot is off the brake pedal the lights should go out. If you want them back on because someone is coming up a bit rapid then just press the brake pedal to illuminate them again.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 05:30:53 PM »
Electric handbrakes are the devils work,  my bro in law had a Ford C max with electric handbrake and it used to go into garage about 6 times a year with handbrake problems, what a PITA it was ( company car luckily, otherwise he may well have driven it to nearest deep lake and pushed it in ).
If he could release the handbrake.
Neil Ives

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 06:19:53 PM »
I refuse to use brake hold because I don't want permanent brake lights when stationary blinding the people behind. I think brake hold is a good idea but once my foot is off the brake pedal the lights should go out. If you want them back on because someone is coming up a bit rapid then just press the brake pedal to illuminate them again.

I do use it, and then put the handbrake on a few seconds later.

If you're the last car in a queue on a fast road, it's advised to show brake lights to following traffic.

guest9814

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 06:36:47 PM »
Hmmm
Mine releases without problems on flat parking, but sometimes when the car is parked in a parking lot with a slight slope, the braking pads seems to stick to the discs (but that not rust, maybe hill hold assist) and when the car starts driving behind, you can hear a so to speak, chewing sound for fraction of second, did Kenneve see any warning message on meter screen when this happens  ?
Kenneve wrote that this happens sometimes.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 06:40:02 PM »
I have recently set my handbrake to apply automatically when leaving the car.
I find that it’s applies the brake as expected, but does not always release it, when the accelerator is applied and has to be released manually.
Not sure why.
Has anyone else experienced this situation?
It sounds like you've switched the car off when leaving it (as would be expected). When restarting the car you have to release the handbrake manually while depressing the footbrake. The accelerator only releases the handbrake when you are driving in 'D' or 'B' mode, this is normal and there's nothing wrong with the car.

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 07:16:23 PM »
Thanks guys, looks like Bristol Crosstar has hit the nail on the head.
I did not appreciate that it only works in 'D' or 'B'.

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 10:26:51 PM »
Electronic hand brakes are witchcraft but mine works a treat....... 8)

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 08:46:42 AM »
I reverse off my drive and don't manually release the brake so it must work in R as well as D and B
I think it might have more do do with the seatbelt and whether you have it on or not
I tried to reverse mine a few inches without seatbelt on and the brake would not release automatically.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 08:49:50 AM »
I reverse off my drive and don't manually release the brake so it must work in R as well as D and B
I think it might have more do do with the seatbelt and whether you have it on or not
I tried to reverse mine a few inches without seatbelt on and the brake would not release automatically.
Just to check, do you have your handbrake set to come on automatically?
Neil Ives

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 08:55:32 AM »

Yes.... I put it into P when I stop then release seatbelt and brake then comes on automatically.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 08:57:54 AM by Derkie54 »
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 10:05:51 AM »

Yes.... I put it into P when I stop then release seatbelt and brake then comes on automatically.

I wonder how long it wil be before you will not be able to release the seatbelt unless vehicle is stationary, engine stopped, in P with the handbrake on.... No wonder that older, 'low tech' cars are in increasing demand.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 10:15:34 AM »

Probably more to do with the fact it's a Ford rather than an electronic handbrake.

Tags:

anything