Author Topic: HR-V e:HEV  (Read 3047 times)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
Re: HR-V e:HEV
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2021, 08:16:42 PM »
I don't know what is holding Thomas up. I have written to him twice and all he says is that Honda Germany are very slow and yet there are at least two German reviews on YT.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2021, 02:16:07 AM »
I don't know what is holding Thomas up. I have written to him twice and all he says is that Honda Germany are very slow and yet there are at least two German reviews on YT.

It's because Honda are slow getting him a "Thomas blue" model!

New Auto Express review below. HR-V comes 2nd due to a number of "shortcomings" against the Captur. However, after reading the review they only seem to be a narrow middle-seat and rear door handles which are too high. Whereas the Captur has "cramped" rear seating and gets beaten on mixed fuel consumption (and likely slaughtered on city driving).

Of course, I knew AE would place the Captur first before even reading the article. If Honda had painted the Sistine Chapel they would only give it 3 stars.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-group-tests/356589/honda-hr-v-vs-renault-captur-vs-seat-arona-2021-group-test-review

Starting to like the HR-V more and more, but very happy with my new Jazz as a 2nd car! Now just waiting for the 2023 CR-V to arrive in order to change our main family vehicle.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 02:19:36 AM by Jayt43 »

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2021, 09:35:17 AM »
If I had to list cars I would NEVER buy any Renault would be right at the top of the list!
A friend of mine was recently lent a Captur as a courtesy car.He said it was the most vile car he had ever driven. He didn't have one good word to say about it!!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2021, 02:34:14 PM »
The video on the "HR-v arrived " thread was filmed in Switzerland, but displays a German Umwelt Zone sticker  .
Which suggests the car was supplied by a German dealership.  Spreading the few available  press review cars quite thinly.

They might have  got it by post .(the sticker  that is)  .Many swiss will display them  . But would they have got it so soon? They havnt got a French Crit air sticker, but these take 2 weeks to arrive (custom  printed for the car) and less likely to be needed .

If anyone needs an Umwelt sticker  they last the lifetime of the car and available from various sites  on - line.     But some charge over 14 euro.  I got mine for 6 euro inc postage from this english language site.     I

https://www.berlin.de/labo/mobilitaet/kfz-zulassung/feinstaubplakette/shop.86595.en.php

Crit air are only available from From the official  french government site.  (in English) Its only about 4 euro IIRC 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2021, 04:33:36 PM »
My AutoExpress arrived this morning so i had a good read of the Captur/HR-V/Arona comparison review. First let me say I haven’t driven any of the cars although I do have a Skoda Yeti with the same DSG as the Arona in the test, so anything I say is based on what I have read in the review. I think that the review was basically fair to all the cars and the reviewers seemed to drive them sensibly and not like a rally driver so that comments on noise under acceleration were fair in saying that driven sensibly both hybrid cars were quiet and refined while somewhat noisier under ‘hard’ acceleration. The Captur’s drivetrain was less sophisticated in performance than the HR-V because there was an obvious, though subtle, jolt when the ICE fired up. The HR-V was silky smooth. The Captur had a bigger boot IF the rear seat was slid forward but doing so all but eliminated rear leg room, in the ‘back’ position the Captur had a slightly smaller boot and significantly less rear leg room. Head room was about the same in both cars. The HR-V was slightly more economical than the Captur and while both had good compliant rides the Captur was felt to be better, although the HR-V ranks towards the top of cars in its segment and is comfortable and compliant - just not as forgiving as the Captur. The HR-V steering was particularly praised as precise and yet still light and easy to use when parking etc. At motorway speeds the HR-V is well insulated from wind noise although there is some rumble from the tyres, the review did not comment on the Captur’s refinement on motorway driving.
The review mentioned Magic Seats and did give the HR-V a 4.2 for practicality over 4.1 for the Captur - that did seem strange to me considering the limited rear leg room of the Captur, it’s smaller boot and lack of storage flexibility. One thing Autoexpress did not mention was that heated front seats are not available on the Captur no matter what trim you choose - that could be a deciding factor for some.
At the end of the review AutoExpress chose the Captur but for the life of me studying the comparisons I couldn’t see why.  In the Driver Power satisfaction survey the Renault came in 20th place compared with Honda’s 6th which tells me a lot about the relative quality of the two makes. The element  that skewed it must have been that the Captur is cheaper to buy - but is that sufficient to give it first place?
Note - I haven’t dealt with the Arona because it is not really in the same league as the Hybrid Captur and HR-V.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2021, 06:06:57 PM »
I've read similar comparison reviews in AA and been puzzled by their final verdict.

In some cases I sarcastically put it down to looking through the mag at the advertisers.
Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2021, 02:34:56 PM »
New Kia Niro unveiled today and it would seem to be a real competitor to the HR-V. Design looks much better than existing dull Niro, will have to wait for further details but will be available as ICE, hybrid, PHEV and full EV. Could be a feasible alternative and certainly
worth looking at anyway before committing?

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2021, 05:13:48 PM »
Magazines rely heavily on advertising. I imagine the Renault advertising spend is many times greater than Honda on Autoexpress.
Many years ago I had a colleague who wrote articles for a well known cycling magazine. I was told the story of a supplier who donated 20 mountain bikes to the staff and guess what their latest bike got a 5 star review.
I think magazine reviews offer information but the purchaser needs to make up their own mind.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2021, 05:43:05 PM »
Magazines rely heavily on advertising. I imagine the Renault advertising spend is many times greater than Honda on Autoexpress.
Many years ago I had a colleague who wrote articles for a well known cycling magazine. I was told the story of a supplier who donated 20 mountain bikes to the staff and guess what their latest bike got a 5 star review.
I think magazine reviews offer information but the purchaser needs to make up their own mind.
Of course you are right. New Niro only previewed no-one has seen or tested one yet. Just thought it worth highlighting as a possible alternative to the HR-V for those still considering options.

Jayt43

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2021, 05:54:44 PM »
New Kia Niro unveiled today and it would seem to be a real competitor to the HR-V. Design looks much better than existing dull Niro, will have to wait for further details but will be available as ICE, hybrid, PHEV and full EV. Could be a feasible alternative and certainly
worth looking at anyway before committing?

Kia / Hyundai have deserved market share in the UK. Very few missteps in the last 10 years and quality is good.

I service and look after all my vehicles once the warranty runs out and, over the past decade my wife has had a Mk1 CR-V, Nissan Qashqai +2 and Hyundai IX 35 (her current car). The CR-V was completely over engineered and great to work on. Only rust got the better of the main frame (it was coming up to its 20th birthday) so we changed for the Qashqai.

Superficially, the Nissan looked to be built well, but boy oh boy, how I realised how that was not the case. Everything was inferior to the Honda with interior parts perishing at alarming speeds. And once you open things up (like the door cards) it was easy to see where Nissan had skimped on costs. God only knows what the insides of a Renault look like!

The Hyundai has hard plastics galore, but the difference is the thickness / quality of mouldings. Everthing is durable. And the engineering prowess is very close to Honda on mechanicals, just Hondas have better access and re-use alot of established parts (like Toyota).

I've no doubt the Niro would be a sound buy - especially long-term. The current version is too vanilla for me, but the new one has this very odd treatment around the C-pillar. As per the attached image, if they all come in black only that would be a deal breaker for me. I'm also not taken with the headlight treatment under the tiger nose grille. It's rather awkward. Interior looks like the Kia EV6 though, so all good!

For me, the HR-V is a better looking car, especially with a blacked out grille. Conservative yes, but far more elegant. Personally, if I fancied an HR-V I wouldn't wait. The only choice for me Niro-wise would be the fully electric version and I doubt availability would be good for the next year anyway.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2021, 06:14:26 PM »
The black C panel is ugly in the released images, you would hope that production models would have body coloured C panels. Otherwise don't think I could live with it!

Jayt43

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2021, 06:22:18 PM »
The black C panel is ugly in the released images, you would hope that production models would have body coloured C panels. Otherwise don't think I could live with it!

Actually on the Asian Petrolhead site:
they mention at 4:14 that c-pillar colour can be chosen. Still not a fan of that part of the design though, even if body coloured. Otherwise looks smart!

My current thinking is "love my Crosstar to bits, but as the drivetrain works so well, should I have opted for the larger HR-V instead?". The Hybrid set-up works for me right now. Fully electric would be great if a) charging infrastructure in Hungary was better b) costs were slightly more affordable.

The Niro is a good entry point for b) but I think I would still choose the HR-V - mainly because Honda is a more soulful brand which I have more affinity for.

Jayt43

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2021, 08:40:26 AM »
Autocar 8 page review on the HR-V here:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/honda/hr-v

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2021, 11:43:00 AM »
If I had to list cars I would NEVER buy any Renault would be right at the top of the list!
A friend of mine was recently lent a Captur as a courtesy car.He said it was the most vile car he had ever driven. He didn't have one good word to say about it!!

In the dim and distant past I had two Renault 5's a GTL and TS.  Loved them both (especially the polyester bumpers that bounced back after being 'bumped') but have to agree that Renault has gone downhill ever since.

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2021, 11:45:24 AM »
One of the better reviews IMO. He has obviously taken the trouble to do his research before writing, unlike many other reviewers.
i must, however, disagree with his negative points.
Bad
Lacks refinement under power and the front seats lack support
Insipid performance on anything other than low-speed urban routes

1. I can only assume that the seats in the Advance Style, which he was obviously driving, are different from the Advance that I drove (& have ordered)
I am a 6' ft 16 and a half stone lump and I found the seats were extremely comfortable and supportive, even without adjustable lumbar support. As all Honda seats I have ever used, in my 6 previous Hondas, have been.
2.He did say that he used 'Sport' mode, but I have to disagree entirely with him regarding insipid performance AS LONG AS you use 'SPORT' mode. It came very close to my 1.5 turbo DSG Karoq. which is very torquey.
 In Eco & Standard modes it is not punchy, but perfectly adequate for urban driving, even in Eco.
In cross country driving heavy traffic, during which one might need rapid overtakes be ready to flick it into 'SORT' and you will be surprised at the difference it makes (unlike his opinion) I was quite surprised when I did just that and would say it certainly is no slouch, driven with a large degree of 'verve' and accompanying ICE 'drone', which soon disappears after the overtake.
I have not driven far enough or on M way, so cannot comment on his overall MPG. I can only reiterate that on my hours drive I got 70MPG round the Bournemouth/Poole conurbation and 61 after a 4mile dual carriageway (50mph) trip + urban.
It does not pretend to be a sports car and the 'S'. in SUV must mean sports as in windsurfing etc, not sports as in sports car.
I find it interesting that an increasing number of reviewers are beating Honda's given 0-62 time of 10.9 seconds. I think driven spiritedly, the 9+seconds  quoted above is far more realistic.

Tags: