Author Topic: Traffic road sign recognition system  (Read 2146 times)

AndrewBowyer

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar
Traffic road sign recognition system
« on: September 23, 2021, 10:21:38 AM »
Wondering if anyone else has issues with the road sign recognition system. On my Crosstar it frequently fails to see a road sign but more annoying is it’s tendency to cancel the dash notification after a few hundred yards despite no other sign being passed. Asked the dealer who basically shrugged his shoulders. My first Crosstar was fine though.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Traffic road sign recognition system
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 10:38:12 AM »
Search the forum.  There is a load on this topic.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 10:40:11 AM »
I've tried using that system but it hasn't been very successful. I suspect our road signs are not always as recogniseable as in Japan. I've noticed that this year in the UK has been very bad for road signs being obscured by overgrowth. I fear it's going to be one of the safety systems that I will not be using. It's a shame, I was hoping it would be useful.
Neil Ives

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 11:04:40 AM »
My experience is that it's at least half a mile and probably more before the last speed sign recognised is replaced by two dashes. The system in the Mk 4 Jazz is a bit better than the previous generation in recognising degraded signs but the problem of vegetation blocking sign visibility isn't easily addressed by the technology. The camera is looking forwards with a constant field of view whereas the human eyeball can glance sideways when close to a sign to get a better look.

Those responsible for managing roadside vegetation have been able to save significant money by reducing the frequency of vegetation clearance as advoated by those who want the verges to have greater floral diversity. Whereas in the good old days the vegetation was managed by people with hand tools who could be far more selective and give particular attention to clearing around signs it's now done with a flail mower on a tractor which munches everything it gets near so they tend to avoid getting too close to the signs.

Overall I find the sign recognition to be a useful aid. The frequency of speed limit changes on some roads makes keeping track of the current limit difficult and the little display is helpful.

Section 8 of this https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/782724/traffic-signs-manual-chapter-03.pdf makes interesting reading.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 11:53:50 AM »
Mine seems OK.

It does sometimes struggle in the dark but if it sees a sign it displays it till it changes.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 11:58:18 AM »
Mine seems OK.

It does sometimes struggle in the dark but if it sees a sign it displays it till it changes.
I passed a 20mph sign. The car slowed. The 30mph sign was missed by the car. This was day one; I hadn't figured out how to cancel the limiter. I had a queue of impatient drivers behind me. Such fun!  ;D
Neil Ives

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 12:41:13 PM »
I find it good, it will pick signs way to the side, and picks up the mini repeated ones
But not good enough to use as limiter. It seems to drop speed after a distance, so it needs to see regular signs.
But where we have the mini reminders is where speed limit is not apparent and where speed traps are more likely.
Using Sat nav (waze  app) is needed to fill in where it goes blank.

It has been more mixed South of the border here - Ireland has changed from mph and miles to metric, with km/hr written on speed signs.
It would miss the 100 ones freq.

But as a silent warning, it is useful.
I find judging speed in hybrid hard, as at 30 there is difference in almost silent motor cw engine charging.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 12:42:29 PM »
Page 413 of the online manual :

'Intelligent Speed Limiter'
Let's be careful out there !

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 01:06:11 PM »
I find judging speed in hybrid hard, as at 30 there is difference in almost silent motor cw engine charging.

I set the manual limiter most of the time when in town.

Occasionally when I've done so I've surprised the drivers of certain German marques by accelerating speedily away from traffic lights and then keeping steady at the speed limit. Those electric motors have a bunch of torque.

As my driving instructor (ex. police driver) said, "There's no law against acceleration."

(General Relativity might disagree.)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 01:21:14 PM »
My first Crosstar was fine though.

Wait! What? You're on your second Crosstar already?

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 03:00:22 PM »
I find it pretty good apart from the icon being quite small on the dash.

I had it on my previous Volvo and the Jazz one is better than that system. There is still the occasional sign that it misses or speed limit it picks up from a visible side road sign, but pretty ok otherwise.

The Volvo system often got confused and thought 60mph road signs in the newer font were 50mph! The Jazz on the same roads doesn't have this issue.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 05:42:48 PM »
My Garmin satnav ( a stand alone one ) bongs when approaching a lower speed limit and shows the speed limit on the screen all the time, in red box if you are going faster, the limit changes pretty much as I drive up to sign, and even if sign is hidden by bushes or dirty, which is often the case these days.

And it works in the dark and snow....
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 05:45:49 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 06:23:00 PM »
Sat navs are great for speed limit details, with the in built system for temporary changes/etc. using the two in combination for full coverage.

My main internal speed limit info comes from TomTom on the infotainment screen via Apple CarPlay.

I usually have it running all the time due to regular traffic problems in the area.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 06:48:19 PM »
Sat navs are great for speed limit details, with the in built system for temporary changes/etc. using the two in combination for full coverage.

My main internal speed limit info comes from TomTom on the infotainment screen via Apple CarPlay.

I usually have it running all the time due to regular traffic problems in the area.

Temporary changes are normally impossible to miss, with massive speed limit signs and cones, you would have to be sleeping to miss them.  I have noticed more and more permanent  50mph limits appearing in the middle of nowhere on the country roads by us though, for no apparent reason.....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sportse

• Approved Member
Traffic road sign recognition system
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 08:45:44 PM »
Unfortunately the local council hasn’t cleared the hedges from many speed limit signs so they are invisible, alongside road signs.

Many councils have used lockdown as an excuse to drop speed limits.

They surveyed the roads when people weren’t using them, and concluded that the speed limit could be dropped!

There are several near me that have gone from 60mph down to 40mph as a result of a survey undertaken.

Tags: