Author Topic: Rear brake  (Read 836 times)

militarymick

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC
Rear brake
« on: September 21, 2021, 07:28:55 PM »
Hi folks, I hope someone can help....problem, binding n/s rear brake....I cannot see how to pull the calliper out enough to access the pads. The top hose is so short and the handbrake cable on the bottom has too little free play.I only moves out by about 15m/m..!.if the cable would pull out it would not Be a problem..but ..despite unhooking the end and removing the spring clip where it passes through the body of the calliper I cannot pull the cable from the calliper as it's rusted solid.Yet not too many  miles back agarage fitted new pads and they couldn't have detached the cable to do so...im baffled.!!?

bobby boy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.2S
Re: Rear brake
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 08:52:14 PM »
Trace the handbrake cable back under the car, and remove the first two clamps which locate the cable.This gives enough movement to move the caliper and remove the pads.

militarymick

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 07:38:55 AM »
Thanks for your reply...I'm sorry I forgot to mention I did remove the clamp on the suspension arm...but even then I had to lever strongly at the calliper just to access the lower sliding pin..! There just doesn't seem to be enough slack still despite pulling as hard as possible with mole grips on the calliper.Is it possible to remove the bracket holding the cable to the calliper ( which I didn't realise was not part of the casting ) ,in situ, ?. (I would be wary of attempting this on a 12 year old car as I'd guess the small bolts would be well siezed..??)
Thanks for any further insight.!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 07:43:02 AM »
The rear calipers unwind and need a tool (any ).
I would spray all liberally with a proprietary rust remover and leave 24 hours.

bobby boy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.2S
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 12:23:30 PM »
Removing the rear brake caliper on the jazz is normally a straight forward job,(plenty of videos on the net to follow) . I'm baffled why you had difficulty accessing the lower mounting bolt? I wonder if the garage who replaced the pads did not line up the caliper piston with the pip on the back of the inner pad ,and it has jammed making the caliper hard to remove.

militarymick

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 04:13:21 PM »
Thanks for your reply...the bolts I was referring to hold the handbrake cable bracket to the calliper.
  I checked out the vid and I think where I came to a stop was my caution .!!..it goes against my engineering nous to brutally lever the top of the calliper against the pull of the hydraulic hose 😮... very poor design Honda..!...
  At the moment the brake is not binding (after all my tapping with a copper mallet, and manipulation..!...I'm guessing the problem to be siezed/sticking pads ,rather than a seized piston.I will dive in again if there is further trouble...which I won't hold my breath on.!....cheers folks.

Tags: