Author Topic: Running-in period.  (Read 3282 times)

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
Running-in period.
« on: September 17, 2021, 10:56:32 PM »
With the Mk. 4 and the Atkinson engine should there be, or need to be, any running-in period at all?  If so, what is the method?

With mine (now at 400 miles) I've just always kept it in Economy mode (which i like anyway) and not gone above 50 or so.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 10:58:58 PM by Hugh R »

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Running-in period.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 11:21:08 PM »
According to our (Polish) Honda dealer, running in an engine is something from the history books and as long as you drive normally, it is not necessary nowadays.
Our Jazz now has about 750 miles and is driven "normally". That means it has already hit 85 - 90 mph a few times recently...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 04:41:20 AM »
In the good old days, after about 1,000 miles the cylinder head needed re-torquing to tighten the compressed head gasket and the oil needed changing to remove iron filings from the sump.

Both the above required keeping revs as low as possible during that first period.

With modern head gaskets and cylinder bore machining neither is now required.
Let's be careful out there !

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 08:15:21 AM »
There are no specific running-in requirements. Controlling engine revs, not absolute speed, is more important. The car will happily potter along at 60 mph at little over 2000 rpm but if you try to do the 0 - 60 in 10 seconds then you'll probably be pushing the revs towards the red line.

Some people reckon that Honda may have also programmed the ECU to include a running-in period after which the engine feels a little more willing. However, the Mk. 4 Jazz's hybrid system is likely to hide any change.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 10:09:04 AM »
I took mine easy for the first 600 miles, using maybe 1/4 accelerator and lifting off slightly if the engine revs went higher than I wanted.

I still found I was making great progress without having to make much use of the petrol engine revs.

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 10:54:21 AM »
First 500 miles I was gentle with the throttle. Yes I know on modern cars running in is not a requirement but what’s the harm in taking it easy? Now at 1000 miles, have used the acceleration that requires the engine to Rev on a few occasions. But have still not done kick down (foot to the floor) or whatever the correct expression is for the automatic transmission within the hybrid drive.
Let’s face it the whole nature of the car encourages steady progress rather than a boy racer approach!

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 01:58:08 PM »
The dealership said "Avoid braking heavily for the first 600 miles or so" just like you would if you'd just fitted new discs and pads.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 02:47:16 PM »
Is that because they are new discs and pads :)
Let's be careful out there !

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 03:36:46 PM »
Is that because they are new discs and pads :)
Presumably!  :P

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 06:17:42 PM »
According to our (Polish) Honda dealer, running in an engine is something from the history books and as long as you drive normally, it is not necessary nowadays.
Our Jazz now has about 750 miles and is driven "normally". That means it has already hit 85 - 90 mph a few times recently...
But what does the Honda handbook contain about the fist few hundred miles?  The purpose of running in is to heat-cycle certain components, such as the pistons, the piston will change shape (albeit a modest amount) under the heating and cooling cycle.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 07:03:07 PM »
But what does the Honda handbook contain about the fist few hundred miles?

Not one word, not even one letter...
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 08:52:40 PM »
There’s one tiny paragraph hidden away in the owners manual about running in.

It just says take it easy on the brakes for the first 200 miles, and not to use maximum accelerator for the first 600 miles.

I believe some Honda manuals also say not to drive above 112mph for the first 600 miles, but that’s likely just Germany and it’s also above our top speed too.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 09:00:31 PM »
Hidden away on page 401!

It should be page 1:

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2021, 09:00:57 PM »
re John R's comment about Honda programming in a 'running in' period to the ECU.  I would agree, thats what it felt like to me, engine now feels considerably more willing now im over 3K miles on the ODO.   8)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 05:16:53 PM »
re John R's comment about Honda programming in a 'running in' period to the ECU.  I would agree, thats what it felt like to me, engine now feels considerably more willing now im over 3K miles on the ODO.   8)
The car may have covered 3000 miles but don't forget that with the hybrid system the engine would have been running for less than 1500 miles.

Tags: