Author Topic: Self driving Jazz?  (Read 990 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Self driving Jazz?
« on: September 12, 2021, 06:57:49 PM »
I discovered LKAS today. I knew that if I wandered too close to the edge of the road the car would try to turn the wheels away from the edges of the road, (even if there is no white line by the way). I didn't realise until I saw a video of someone trying it that the car will drive itself. I had the car in cruise control, my hands were lightly holding the wheel, the car was making the bends in the road by itself. If I took my hands off the wheel a red warning popped up. It seems the steering wheel needs a small nudge from the driver every few seconds. I don't imagine I'll be using self-drive but it's an interesting novelty.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 08:16:02 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Steve P

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz EX
Re: Self driving Jazz
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 07:24:41 PM »
On a recent long motorway journey, I found the lane assist feature invaluable. Combined with the adaptive cruise I found it really helped to make the trip far less  fatiguing.

I don't use it on shorter drives, but i'm glad it's there to use when needed.

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 07:44:19 PM »
On a recent long motorway journey, I found the lane assist feature invaluable. Combined with the adaptive cruise I found it really helped to make the trip far less  fatiguing.

Is it legal to use in the UK?
Neil Ives

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 07:49:48 PM »
Immediately forget the term "self driving" (as far as the Jazz is concerned)!!!
You have safety features at your disposal, that's all! YOU ARE THE DRIVER, NOT THE JAZZ!

Honda SENSING has been created to keep you, your passengers and everyone safe. It’s an intelligent suite of advanced safety features that will assist you as you drive and underlines our commitment to road safety.
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/world-of-honda/honda-sensing.html
If nothing goes right, go left!

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 09:47:02 PM »

Is it legal to use in the UK?
Yes, if you take your hands off the wheel for any amount of time it sounds an alarm so you can't just sit back and do nothing. It's fine on motorways but I tried using it on a dual carriageway with sharper corners and it needed some help steering round some of those

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 11:12:20 PM »
The system seemed to need a little input from the driver; not just a contact on the wheel. I imagine the electric steering has a feedback sensor.

Then we apparently have a different EX...
Just holding the wheel for a short moment is enough to make that weird red warning disappear. No need to "help" the car.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 08:08:32 AM »
The system seemed to need a little input from the driver; not just a contact on the wheel. I imagine the electric steering has a feedback sensor.

Then we apparently have a different EX...
Just holding the wheel for a short moment is enough to make that weird red warning disappear. No need to "help" the car.
A contact touch was not enough for me. Even a slight grip would be sensed as a driver intervention.
Neil Ives

Tags: