Author Topic: Wheel cleaning  (Read 1826 times)

Doric

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid SR
Wheel cleaning
« on: September 11, 2021, 02:21:37 PM »
Just wondering what the members thoughts are about cleaning the alloy wheels behind the plastic covers on the Mk4 Jazz. On my previous Mk2 they did get very dirty over time even with regular cleaning. Will brake dust etc give me problems in the future if I don’t remove the covers occasionally.

Worthingmike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mark 4 Jazz EX
Re: Wheel cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 04:53:31 PM »
I haven't tried but how do the wheel trims come off on the EX

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 04:53:46 PM »
Are they alloy ?

I thought they were just pressed steel.

They come off easily, but only after all wheel bolts are removed, same system as early Xantias.
Let's be careful out there !

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 05:14:07 PM »
According to the Honda website configurator, the Jazz EX has “Alloy wheels 16 inch”. I have never quite understood the rationale for attaching a plastic wheel cover to an alloy but I suppose there is a reason!

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 05:18:42 PM »
According to the Honda website configurator, the Jazz EX has “Alloy wheels 16 inch”. I have never quite understood the rationale for attaching a plastic wheel cover to an alloy but I suppose there is a reason!

Nor me.
Neil Ives

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 05:22:51 PM »

Pretty sure I read somewhere that it was to prevent scuffing.

guest10621

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 05:33:53 PM »

So, not just the bean counters trying to save money then?

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 05:50:35 PM »
Seems totally ridiculous to me. Why not on the Crosstar as well?
Perhaps they thinking the later is because the 'YOUNG' set that are going to buy the 'activity version of the Jazz are not likely to curb the wheels whereas.............!! I couldn't possibly comment on the perceived age demographic of the typical Jazz owner, since I am one!! :-X
If I was to buy an EX they would come off straight away!
 Makes the car look really cheap, perhaps to go with the dreadful peep-peep stingy, useless horn!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 05:59:45 PM »
For many years since alloy wheels were the norm it's taken me almost as long to clean the wheels as the rest of the bodywork.

I'm thinking these plastic covers will be easier and quicker as they just have one surface rather than lots of holes.
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 06:52:49 PM »

Ask Elon Musk why Tesla does the same...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30169467/tesla-model-3s-aero-wheel-covers-efficiency-test/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 07:30:03 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 09:35:28 PM »

I had a loan SR with alloys/plastic wheels just a different design to my EX.

Unfortunately the loan car had scratches on the rims of a couple of wheels, despite the plastic trims.

They looked quite deep, so the covers don’t actually prevent wheel scratches too well.

On some cars they sell different colour plastic trims for the alloys - maybe we’ll get an option of different coloured plastic for styling accessories.

Wivenhoe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 10:19:50 PM »
I think the plastic ‘fairings’ totally detract from the overall look of an EX. How strange the 2 spec’s below have better looking wheels. I have bought a set of 16” Honda alloys - the guy arranging them thought the ‘fairings’ were fitted for improved aerodynamics and hence emissions but since the same engine is in all 3 spec’s I don’t think that is right. They may well offer some protection against damage to the wheel but I am sure they will look terrible when they are kerbed. If not, then it means the rims will be scratched so defeating the objective !

I have bought these wheels, they are being refurbed so will look like brand new and as they are Honda should be good quality. I tried to order the optional alloys and they said not before Nov and likely into next year.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 11:19:53 PM »
I'm not really annoyed by the plastic "windmills" on our EX.
But that can probably also be explained because I was born in the Netherlands...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2021, 10:58:22 AM »
I really like my wheels.. :)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2021, 11:18:04 AM »
Can anyone show me what the wheels look like without those trims?
Neil Ives

Tags:

anything