Author Topic: Hello from Berkshire  (Read 1403 times)

guest10621

Hello from Berkshire
« on: September 08, 2021, 04:49:11 PM »
Hi there!

I got my first hybrid car in late July - a 2021 Jazz EX in Shining Grey metallic.

I wasn't too impressed with the standard wheels so opted for a set of JA1601 alloys instead. I also have the Cargo Pack and rubber mats front and rear. The Jazz will be used mostly for local journeys, with perhaps the occasional trip down to the south coast. In the 7 weeks that I've owned it, I've only done just over 600 miles. So far I'm liking it a lot - except for the Road Departure Mitigation system  >:( and the over enthusiastic Climate Control :(

I have owned two Honda cars in the past: a 2013 CR-V and a 2005 Accord. Before the Jazz I had a Toyota C-HR 1.2T (non-hybrid).

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Hello from Berkshire
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 05:04:34 PM »
I haven't used mine in anger yet, still on 19 miles in the garage, but, I've experimented and the RDMS is easily turned off.

If you hit the button down by your right knee the 3 main systems are shown in the speedo panel, in green. Each one can be selected in turn and turned off via the steering wheel left side controls.

When I return home from Reading, early Sunday mornings, before first sparrows, I'm often the only car on the road. There are a few 2 or 3 lane dual carriageway 'S' sections where I safely cut both corners and the last thing I want is the steering wheel to try to wobble me round the S between the lines.
Let's be careful out there !

guest10621

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 06:40:42 PM »
I did try it with the RDMS disabled soon after I got the car and it was definitely better with it off. But then I got to thinking: what would happen whenever my ancient brain forgot to turn it off? The likely result would be that I would be even more startled when the system activated itself because I wouldn't be used to it.

Since then I have been leaving it enabled and I have been trying to adapt my driving style in order to "mitigate the mitigation system". This doesn't mean that I am driving safer, just that I am driving lines that satisfies the system's algorithms which in my view are far too cautious (probably due to known limitations of the sensors).

One situation it consistently gets wrong is on country roads where there is enough space for two vehicles to pass safely. Occasionally an oncoming vehicle will be closer to the centre of the road, so I will move slightly left to give a little more clearance which then causes the RDMS to throw a panic wobble right at the time I need to be driving more smoothly. In none of the cases where this has happened was I anywhere near dangerously close to the edge of the road.

I think I will persevere with it for a bit longer, but if it gets too annoying I will go back to disabling it.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 08:18:52 PM »
Hello and welcome. :)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 04:52:27 AM »
As I was leaving the M25 to the M40, eastbound, there was a fairly new repaired section of road. As usual they'd finished off the join with that shiny black stuff, about 3" wide in the centre(ish) of the lane.

I'd forgotten to turn off RDMS and for the few hundred yards that this black line existed the RDMS was all over the place :

I really must remember to turn it off.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 06:14:20 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 05:31:03 PM »
As I was leaving the M25 to the M40, eastbound, there was a fairly new repaired section of road. As usual they'd finished off the join with that shiny black stuff, about 3" wide in the centre(ish) of the lane.

I'd forgotten to turn off RDMS and for the few hundred yards that this black line existed the RDMS was all over the place :

I really must remember to turn it off.

Just got back from feeding my daughter's cats. I remembered this post about the shiny black repair line. I have just had an identical experience although I have no photo. The system "recognised" a shiny black repair line and fired off as I crossed it. I was some distance from the actual official lane marking.

As I have been doing a lot of stop start stuff, more than usual for me, I haven't been turning the system off but I thought I'd mention this given that my experience was identical.

Tags: