Author Topic: Evidence of a car wash being used on my new car  (Read 2622 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Evidence of a car wash being used on my new car
« on: September 08, 2021, 03:55:27 PM »
I've just washed my new car for the first time. In the bright sunshine today I can see many longitudinal scratches in the paintwork that are typical of an automatic car wash. Since I've been able to afford new cars I've stopped using automatic car washes because they scratch the paintwork.
So, would this be down to the official Honda dealer or the people that applied the ProTech stuff to the paintwork?
Is there any point in making a fuss about this?
Neil Ives

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
Re: Evidence of a car wash being used on my new car
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 05:46:10 PM »
You could try but I bet the ProTech people will blame the dealer and the dealer will blame the ProTech people!
Let us know if you go ahead - but very annoying for owners who want to wash their car themselves, like me.

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 05:53:22 PM »
Update: The scratching is not horrific; just noticeable in the sunshine.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 05:56:56 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 04:04:48 AM »
On a new car I'd be asking them what happened and what do they suggest.

I successfully rejected a new Maestro back in the day because the paintwork was damaged and there were dents.
Let's be careful out there !

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 10:16:49 AM »
I would ask what type of car wash it was?I have many years experience of 'roll-over type washes on my Shell filling stations. basically, they are rubbish. They give a poor wash and are prone to scratching paint.
I have not hand washed any of my new cars for the last 10 years. I use IMO drag through type car wash. They give a superb wash for the money and have never done any damage whatsoever.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 10:28:56 AM »
I use IMO drag through type car wash. They give a superb wash for the money and have never done any damage whatsoever.
I don't know what that is. Please will you explain.

UPDATE:
I've never seen a car wash that dragged a car through. Do we have them in the UK?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 05:24:40 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 05:30:11 PM »
I emailed my Honda salesman. He assured me that the car had never been through a car wash.

I must now assume that the light scratching, (I admittedly only noticed it on the passenger side of the car) may be due to brushing past greenery when passing another vehicle in a narrow country lane. I only noticed the marks when the very bright sun was on that part of the car. We haven't had bright sun since then. 8)

I'll let Mr Honda salesman know. I'm glad I didn't go in all guns blazing.
Neil Ives

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 06:00:37 PM »
I use IMO drag through type car wash. They give a superb wash for the money and have never done any damage whatsoever.

UPDATE:
I've never seen a car wash that dragged a car through. Do we have them in the UK?
IMO car washes are all over the country. We have two in Poole. Google would give you the answer but to save you the trouble of Googling it ....here you are.
https://www.imocarwash.com/
The wash has a set of rollers on a chain that get behind your cars wheels and pull the car through the wash while the brushes (pair of horizontal for wheel cleaning, pair of vertical and one moveable horizontal. Then an air dryer followed by flappy towel type dangly strips.)
Washes go from £2.99 t0 £12.
I have nothing to do with IMO apart from being a very satisfied, longstanding customer.

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 06:30:10 PM »
Now i realise what it is.  We have one in Canterbury.  Do you put the car in 'P' or 'N' - or leave engine running??

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 07:16:42 PM »
Now i realise what it is.  We have one in Canterbury.  Do you put the car in 'P' or 'N' - or leave engine running??
Probably N and release the brake hold.

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 10:07:26 PM »

UPDATE:
IMO car washes are all over the country. We have two in Poole. Google would give you the answer but to save you the trouble of Googling it ....here you are.
https://www.imocarwash.com/
The wash has a set of rollers on a chain that get behind your cars wheels and pull the car through the wash while the brushes (pair of horizontal for wheel cleaning, pair of vertical and one moveable horizontal. Then an air dryer followed by flappy towel type dangly strips.)
Washes go from £2.99 t0 £12.
I have nothing to do with IMO apart from being a very satisfied, longstanding customer.
Part of the confusion was me thinking you were using IMO instead of 'In My Opinion'  ::)
Neil Ives

Karoq

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2021, 10:16:30 AM »

NEVER put it in P or the car will just hip-hop over the rollers, you won't go anywhere and the staff will go bonkers.
Leave it in N with or without the engine running, your choice. I leave mine running.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 08:27:46 PM »

NEVER put it in P or the car will just hip-hop over the rollers, you won't go anywhere and the staff will go bonkers.
Leave it in N with or without the engine running, your choice. I leave mine running.

If you turn off the engine the parking brake might engage automatically. You have to be careful of that.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2021, 09:15:23 PM »
IMO carwashes are great !

I find that the only issue is aligning the front wheel with the chains, I think I have it aligned and the car wash operator is frantically waving their hands but in no real directional help.

Once in position, put the car in Neutral, handbrake off, and engine off . . . . also make sure auto wipers are off !

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 04:34:36 AM »
I enjoy giving my car a good going over. I spend quite a few hours out there giving it the works, inside and out.

Therapeutic ?
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything