Author Topic: "wax" glass headlights  (Read 1319 times)

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
"wax" glass headlights
« on: August 26, 2021, 03:29:20 PM »
Hello,
when I picked up the new car I had noticed a kind of wax in the center of both lights and I thought that they had not cleaned the car well before delivering it (in reality this thing can only be seen with the lights on and I noticed this particular time later), I thought that the first wash the problem would be solved,
now that the car has been washed again the problem arises again and I am a bit disconcerted, is it possible that it even has 2 faulty lights at the same time? or is it normal for LED lights to have this effect?
While driving I have no problems, the road is well illuminated.
Has such a thing ever happened to you?
I have not yet been able to go to the mechanic for clarification.
Thanks for the info.
(sorry for english i used google translate)

E27006

• Approved Member
Re: "wax" glass headlights
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 01:45:31 PM »
I think the headlights are not glass but a plastic,  if plastic they will almost certainly have a surface coating to protect from ultraviolet light, ie sunlight.  if you look at old cars their headlights turn  opaque, due to the erosion of that UV protection coating.
I would take the car  back to the dealer for inspection and a warranty assessment.
You can try a polish of the headlight,   use toothpaste, it  is a very fine abrasive polish  which works wonders to restore  old opaque headlights provided they are not too far gone.
However, every polishing can be the earliest step of the erosion of that precious UV coating

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 02:39:22 PM »
I think the headlights are not glass but a plastic,  if plastic they will almost certainly have a surface coating to protect from ultraviolet light, ie sunlight.  if you look at old cars their headlights turn  opaque, due to the erosion of that UV protection coating.
I would take the car  back to the dealer for inspection and a warranty assessment.
You can try a polish of the headlight,   use toothpaste, it  is a very fine abrasive polish  which works wonders to restore  old opaque headlights provided they are not too far gone.
However, every polishing can be the earliest step of the erosion of that precious UV coating

Plan is that while headlight  plastic still in good shape is to regularly wax it, rather than wait until damage is done and get the angle grinder out  :o  I use AutoGlym super resin about once a month, which as well as cleaning the traffic grime also stops flies sticking - I have a theory that traffic grime on the plastic reacting to sunlight damages the plastic, so removing the grime can stop the reaction.   AutoGlym super resin also great for cleaning and protecting UPVC window frames, doors, facias etc - ( they only get done once a year though  ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Wonder

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 07:25:37 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies,
certainly having two defective headlights at the same time on a new car leaves me perplexed or rather incredulous, it is really bad luck.
I have not yet brought the car to check because here in Italy it is vacation time and many businesses are closed, they open again in September.
Anyway, tomorrow afternoon if I can after work I will go to my trusted mechanic / body shop (if it is already open) to ask for an opinion on the problem, then in the following days I will go to the Honda salesman to hear what he tells me.
Anyway, I'll let you know how it ends
Thank you

Wonder

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 10:11:55 AM »
Hi, so I went to my trusted mechanic / coachbuilder (he does not deal with Honda cars) but according to him it is a "normal" thing he says that he has already noticed similar effects on other cars, but clearly he advised me to switch to Honda to be more sure, which I will do today or tomorrow at the latest.
However, a video presentation of the Honda jazz has been posted on the website and you can also see the same effect on the headlight at 1:49.
What do you think about it?
Thanks for your help.
here is the video
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=13610.0

Wonder

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 08:03:18 PM »
Hello,
I then took the car to check at the Honda and was told that it is normal to see that effect in the headlights,
there are practically two glasses, the external one that protects the whole optical group and the one that is on the light itself, and the light passing between the two glasses produces that stain effect on the light (I hope I made myself understood) however it is the effect which you see in the video I posted in the post above.

Tags:

anything