Author Topic: MoT suspension advisory.  (Read 3026 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: MoT suspension advisory.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 09:49:30 AM »
Having owned 3 of these cars I’d say the jazz is one of the worst for rusting particularly up here where the roads are salted for 6 months every year! It’s not helped by the lack of paint underneath. The series 2 is even worse in this respect. The slam panel is just primer.

Every panel below 'waist' ( bottom of side windows ) of a car is made with Electro-zinc plated steel, the paint is just for cosmetic purposes... I can remember when cars failed MOT 5 years from new with rotten cills and rust along bottom of doors, many buyers of new cars payed a fair whack for Zeibart ( ? ) or other rust prevention treatments, with varying levels of success.  The rust on chassis and suspension members is often cosmetic as well,  the steel is reasonably thick.  As well as zinc coating chassis structural members get a multi-stage electro phoretic treatment.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 10:20:27 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Harley Dave

• Jazz newcomer
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 EX-L CVT 1.4 with 16,000 miles in Alabaster Silver
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 11:14:38 AM »
I didn't know what a "Slam Panel" was, so I googled it. (Radiator support/surround that the bonnet latches onto)

I concur, the paint on there is not great, mine is discoloured, and I thought this was probably due to having previously (prior to my purchase) been left standing for quite a while (in wet weather) and presumably showing signs of surface rust  which had been "cleaned off"... prior to sale.

I was thinking to give it a coat of Waxoyl or similar as we plan to keep the car for a while but if the issue is the type/colour of the paint, rather than the after-effects of surface corrosion, I might be OK.

Cheers

Dave

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 11:41:18 AM »
And there was me thinking my 2012 Jazz is far less rusty underneath than son's 2012 Toyota Yaris... 8)

Trebor

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: I vtec es auto 2012
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 10:33:03 AM »
What is a slam panel??

Keekster71

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 07:00:51 PM »
Having owned 3 of these cars I’d say the jazz is one of the worst for rusting particularly up here where the roads are salted for 6 months every year! It’s not helped by the lack of paint underneath. The series 2 is even worse in this respect. The slam panel is just primer.

Every panel below 'waist' ( bottom of side windows ) of a car is made with Electro-zinc plated steel, the paint is just for cosmetic purposes... I can remember when cars failed MOT 5 years from new with rotten cills and rust along bottom of doors, many buyers of new cars payed a fair whack for Zeibart ( ? ) or other rust prevention treatments, with varying levels of success.  The rust on chassis and suspension members is often cosmetic as well,  the steel is reasonably thick.  As well as zinc coating chassis structural members get a multi-stage electro phoretic treatment.
Regardless of what they are coating them with its not good enough and the Scottish road salt does it’s worst. Most Scottish cars rot through by year 12.

My neighbour has a 14 plate jazz. I can see the rust starting in the rear arches already. The coating is simply not good enough. I undercoat all my cars with Dinitrol. It significantly extends their life.

The slam panel is the one with the bonnet catch on it. No paint just primer.

I’ve just sold my 08 plate jazz. I had to weld both rear sill ends to get it through the mot. Nasty!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 07:05:07 PM by Keekster71 »
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 08:08:29 PM »
My 56 plate is solid underneath despite spending its entire life within sight of Fife's east coast.

fatlad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 1.4 se
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2021, 09:58:48 PM »
I got an advisory during my MoT yesterday. It says "Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated Nearside front." Tester suggested it was probably OK for another year, (I am only doing 5K a year now).
Do you change the whole linkage or just the ball joint? The car is due a service next month.

Vic.

hi vic
i gotexactly the same on my last MOT too (previous jazz 2009)...
bought both wishbones & drop links for around £60 from euro car parts....my mechanic charged me £50 to fit,,,

the MOT garage quoted £300 for both wishbones & £120 ish for the drop links!!!!!  and then labour on top (the robbing devils) 

go with euro car parts you cant go wrong
'deny everything Baldrick'

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 10:21:42 PM »

I’ve just sold my 08 plate jazz. I had to weld both rear sill ends to get it through the mot. Nasty!
:o That is some rust for such a new motor!! I try and keep that area on my Jazz as clean as poss.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2021, 12:42:08 PM »
This is interesting,  replacing the normal rubber gaiter on a ball joint with 3/4" hose...

https://www.instructables.com/Poor-mans-tie-rod-end-or-ball-joint-boot/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2021, 03:03:20 PM »
Got fed up of waiting for trackrod ends to arrive from autodoc in Germany ( they eventually took 14 days to get here, but the only tracking available from GLS courier was 'collected from supplier' then you cannot see anything until the arrive in UK.   Ordered another pair from RTG11 on Ebay,  Bllstein parts, with 'made in Japan' on them, arrived from Yorkshire in 2 days.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154347230655?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

matching other hand is 42229,  check the length before ordering because 181mm and 201mm lengths available for 2008 to 2015 Jazz,  wifes Si needed 201mm.

Keekster71

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2021, 09:08:10 PM »

:o That is some rust for such a new motor!! I try and keep that area on my Jazz as clean as poss.
I would recommend you remove the plastic wheel arch liner and waxoyl under it. The rust started round the plastic push pin hole under the liner, and spread hidden . I found road  salt under the liner. It gets everywhere :(
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was never meant that we should venture far." H P Lovecraft

Tags: