Author Topic: New Owner - no Garmin Navigation Traffic  (Read 9116 times)

Who10uk

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2021 EX
New Owner - no Garmin Navigation Traffic
« on: July 04, 2021, 09:35:45 PM »
I recently bought the new Jazz EX. Navigation working fine but am receiving no traffic info.

I know that Garmin Digital traffic ended 30th June. https://discover.garmin.com/en-GB/traffic/

Not sure if I can get traffic for the in built Honda system via Garmin Smartlink or Drive apps orif they only support stand alone sat nav units?

Would have thought at minimum that traffic would be available via the RDS-TMC signal but nothing showing... Have the FM stations carrying the signal all tuned Ok.

Just getting searching in options and not available for Traffic ☹️ See attached...

Issue persists irrespective of location and length of journey.

I know I could use Google maps etc on Android but not always an option for other drivers of car and if I've paid for EX Navigation I would expect to see that include basic traffic info!!

Issue currently escalated by dealer to Honda as they were unable to advise how to get traffic on the unit...

Any help appreciated 🙂

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
Re: New Owner - no Garmin Navigation Traffic
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 09:50:39 PM »
Hi - if you specifically required traffic info on the inbuilt honda sat nav, then its a serious issue.   :-[ Hope the dealer or customer services at Honda can sort it out for you.  I assume you asked these questions before purchase, or checked the spec.

Even my old Toyota Auris from 2014 had a traffic facility on its sat nav.  How reliable that was and whether I used it much is another question.  As with a lot of folks now, I tend to run AA for Google Maps...as this pretty much makes proprietary in car systems redundant, and its super accurate and reliable.   ;D

but I take your point, other drivers might need the built in nav.  and it would be useful to me to know the result of your investigation for the same reason

Who10uk

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 10:07:08 PM »
Thanks. The sales literature doesn't explicitly mention Traffic, just Navigation in general, but Traffic is stated in the manual and why have the Traffic options in the system if they are not functional?

To me I can just about live with no Speed Cam data on the inbuilt system (as seems the norm for in built systems) but personally think avoiding traffic jams, accidents etc is integral to the purpose of a Navigation device!

I will post back any feedback I get from Honda...

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 04:43:41 AM »
My experience with TMC RDS is that it's not fit for purpose.

I used to use the M25 western section J10 to J15 daily,  and it was almost always jammed from about 15:00 clockwise.

RDS would show the tail of the jam back to J15 or J14. Garmin digital would show the jam right back to J12 or J11 (5 mile difference). If I'd used RDS I'd have sat in the jam daily.

Investigations at the time showed that the data from the TM blue sensors get sent to TM HQ, then get processed and sent out to their radio station providers who then do their own processing and send it out. The delay from the road to the car system was anything from 20 to 30 minutes which on the M25 is useless.
The Garmin TA cable traffic seemed almost instant as it was only a few minutes old and was always correct.

Since the demise of Garmin Digital I've been using their Smartphone Link and so far it's just as good.
Let's be careful out there !

Who10uk

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 06:57:19 AM »
Thanks. I'll give Smartlink a go but even if RDS TMC isn't very accurate, Id still like an explanation from Honda as to why the system doesn't appear to be picking that up at all - in case there is a fault with the Navigation system that they need to resolve. As I say, one driver doesn't have a suitable smartphone.

Can anyone confirm what the traffic screens show when they are ONLY using RDS and not a smartphone?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 07:34:51 AM »
Page 42 of the navigation manual shows traffic selection.

Page 73 has more info.

If like mine (Not 2020 Jazz) you don't get the traffic side bar but the roads are shaded dependent on severity and if you have a route plotted you should get popup warnings and options to detour.

Troubleshooting page :

Traffic
Problem Solution
Traffic information is missing or is not displaying
properly. What is wrong?
Verify the following:
● Traffic information relies on a clear signal. If signal strength is low, traffic data
may not be available.
● Check that the traffic feature is enabled.
2 Traffic P. 42
● It is possible that there is a temporary technical problem with your metropolitan
area traffic provider. You can call Honda Automobile Customer Service to see if
there is an outage.
2 Honda Automobile Customer Service Contact Information P. 100
● If the situation persists, see your Honda authorised dealer for assistance.
● Traffic information is available only in certain areas

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 07:37:49 AM by Kremmen »

Who10uk

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 08:07:50 AM »
Thanks again. As per the photo attached to my first post, the traffic screen on the unit just shows as searching and no available subscriptions. I don't see any different colour roads and on a recent long journey had no alerts so am not convinced it is picking anything up 🤔

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 08:40:18 AM »
Thanks again. As per the photo attached to my first post, the traffic screen on the unit just shows as searching and no available subscriptions. I don't see any different colour roads and on a recent long journey had no alerts so am not convinced it is picking anything up 🤔
I looked into this and pretty sure it's not possible to get traffic on the Garmin system in the Crosstar, the solution I've taken is to use Google Maps via Android Auto on journeys where traffic info is important (ie mainly motorways) so it's not a massive problem for me given there's another option

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 08:41:01 AM »
Where are you ?

Who10uk

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 08:50:10 AM »
I'm in the UK and I understand that RDS-TMC info should be carried by the likes of Classic, Capital etc on the FM radio band, all of which are programmed in on my Jazz.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 09:14:09 AM »
As per the information given to dealers:

RDS- TMC Subscription
The RDS-TMC subscription for UK, France and, Italy is no longer funded for both Jazz 2021YM and Honda e models. Therefore, RDS-TMC will no longer function in those countries. It will continue to function in other RDS-TMC subscription countries.

Who10uk

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 10:08:23 AM »
 >:( Well that's a bit crap isn't it?! Would have thought that'd make the built in system rather less useful than it should be. It's something that Honda don't of course tell you when they sell the benefits of the EX model.

Will see what my local dealer suggests but thanks for the feedback anyway.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 11:22:04 AM »
I agree.

Having a built in SatNav that lets you drive straight into a traffic jam is a bit pointless.

Is this just a 2021YM restriction that will be fixed for the 2022YM I wonder.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2021, 12:02:13 PM »
Is this just a 2021YM restriction that will be fixed for the 2022YM I wonder.

It's probably a contract issue with the traffic info providers, and unlikely to change for MY22 (MY = model year).

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2021, 12:58:39 PM »
I've just been out and checked my 2013 Civic SatNav and TMC is working just fine.

Reading Wiki it seems that there are a few flavours of TMC and one of them is iTMC that Inrix have a hand in. Given that Garmin have severed their Inrix connection on their SatNav's recently I can only guess there may be a connection.

Scroll down to UK :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

Tags: