Author Topic: Enjoyment of driving the Mk4 Jazz  (Read 14289 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Enjoyment of driving the Mk4 Jazz
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2021, 04:30:47 PM »
The myth of perfectly safe computer controlled autonomous vehicles that never make a mistake is just that - a myth.  Even with stupid, careless human drivers the fatality rate in USA is less than 1.2 per 100,000,000 vehicle miles - that is a hard act to follow for AV.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191641/traffic-related-fatalities-in-the-united-states-since-1990/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2021, 05:38:48 PM »
Who, on earth, wants a perfectly safe computer controlled autonomous car?  :(

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2021, 07:06:36 PM »
You missed the part about managing a fleet of commoditized autonomous vehicles in oversized urban environnments.

Smart cities does not need humans doing repetitive stupid things.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2021, 07:18:22 PM »
You missed the part about managing a fleet of commoditized autonomous vehicles in oversized urban environnments.

Smart cities does not need humans doing repetitive stupid things.

The more things humans stop doing the stupider they become, if you don't use your muscles they waste away, if our don't we your brain it shrivels up and is in danger of falling out of your ear.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2021, 07:23:28 PM »
..........your brain it shrivels up and is in danger of falling out of your ear.

This is how we protect ourselves...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kenneve

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2021, 07:29:06 PM »
Hi Guys

Referring to my original post and the need to be able to switch Off these annoying features.
I know how to disable LKAS, but am having trouble in disabling the CMBC & RDMS systems.
Now I know one has to do this for every journey, but I'm having no luck in following the instructions, in the manual.

Can one you Mk4 guys give me a simple blow by blow procedure, for disabling these two systems. Something that is easily done at each start-up?
I must be getting old  :-[

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2021, 07:58:56 PM »
The myth of perfectly safe computer controlled autonomous vehicles that never make a mistake is just that - a myth.  Even with stupid, careless human drivers the fatality rate in USA is less than 1.2 per 100,000,000 vehicle miles - that is a hard act to follow for AV.

And which is the fatlity rate of autonomous driven vehicles, partially (with safety aids) and full?
Better for a Mk2 Honda Jazz or a Mk3 or a Mk4? Or a Tesla Model3? Definetly, when I walk on a pedestrian crossing, I prefer that cars approaching to me are cars WITH the autonomous braking system, it's better that a car have both safety systems, a good driver AND a computer continuosly checking that the driver is careful and in good conditions.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 08:29:49 PM by jazzaro »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2021, 07:25:38 AM »
Just to be safe with autonomous cars, we'll be best reverting to this tried and tested safety measure!  :D

**update - well there was an image of a man with a red flag walking in front of a car, but this has been removed! Confusing?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:58:40 PM by Westy36 »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2021, 07:50:28 AM »
I noted the idea behind the 37mph limit was to allow the driver to give control to the car in motorway jams/slow traffic.

I'm still not convinced.
Let's be careful out there !

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2021, 08:30:11 AM »
Referring to my original post and the need to be able to switch Off these annoying features.
I know how to disable LKAS, but am having trouble in disabling the CMBC & RDMS systems.
Now I know one has to do this for every journey, but I'm having no luck in following the instructions, in the manual.

Can one you Mk4 guys give me a simple blow by blow procedure, for disabling these two systems. Something that is easily done at each start-up?
I must be getting old  :-[
Don't worry. I had the same problem. The procedure is described on page 482 of the on-line version of the manual and the confusing part is that you appearing to disable the LKAS but it puts RDMS back in it's cage. It might also disable LKAS - I don't know - which is the silly part as LKAS is a sensible system but RDMS doesn't work on many British roads. 

I noted the idea behind the 37mph limit was to allow the driver to give control to the car in motorway jams/slow traffic.

I'm still not convinced.
Neither am I. If the system needs white lines to work then it will struggle in slow moving queuing traffic where all the camera can see is the back of the vehicle in front.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2021, 11:11:05 AM »
Perhaps the vehicle being cleverer than the driver will hang back to see the lines.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2021, 02:09:28 PM »
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.  ;D

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2021, 02:18:24 PM »
According to the Daily Telegraph this morning the cost of insuring a self drive car will be prohibitive for years until the insurance industry can properly evaluate and price the risk.
Hopefully not in my lifetime.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2021, 04:59:36 PM »
According to the Daily Telegraph this morning the cost of insuring a self drive car will be prohibitive for years until the insurance industry can properly evaluate and price the risk.

Well presumably if an autonomous vehicle has a crash the obvious ones to blame will be the vehicle ma manufacturer.....this could make dieselgate look like a kid's party...

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2021, 06:37:53 PM »

Well presumably if an autonomous vehicle has a crash the obvious ones to blame will be the vehicle ma manufacturer.....this could make dieselgate look like a kid's party...
But maybe the driver activated it in the wrong conditions, or touched the controls inadvertently etc.etc. This is a lawyers dream of claim and counter claim..........!

Tags:

anything