Author Topic: SRS Control Unit  (Read 17374 times)

guest1328

SRS Control Unit
« on: April 01, 2010, 03:53:28 PM »
4 months out of warranty and the AirBag light has come on.  (24000 miles)

Honda Garage maintain it is the SRS control unit and want £413.88 !!!!  plus fitting - a total of £533.73 !  Naturally I am not a happy bunny. 

Anyone know anything about these units - its probably a small black box worth about £10, that simply plugs in. 
Or an independent garage that will do the work without the outrageous thievery that is Honda?

I've noticed it mentioned about complaining about work that is necessary out of warranty - who to?

Thanks in advance for any information  and sorry if this message seems a little "tense"!
Vince

guest869

• Topic Starter
Re: SRS Control Unit
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »
The SRS unit contains software that has had a lot of development and it may have accelerometers in it. It will also probably have its own power source. Normally it is mounted on the tunnel.

Basically it monitors the crash sensors (typically accelerometers mounted on the bumper and sills ( if you have side airbags)). If the acc. trace is typical of a crash then the airbags deploy.

So in theory it is a simple bit of kit. It monitors accs. and decides if the output is typical of a crash, if so it sends a voltage to deploy the appropriate airbags.

You could get one from a scrapper but ensure it has the same part number. Fitting should be simple once you get at it which may mean removing seats and carpet.

guest1328

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
John,

Thanks for the reply.

My main concern with getting a replacement is that I'm told it may need setting up with Honda plug in kit. So i would have to take it to a garage anyway.  Have to say this seems unlikely as during manufacture I cannot see them setting each up individually.

I have a workshop manual on a CD, I'll give it a search.

Have to say I am distinctly loath to pay Honda anything, for the principle if nothing else!

Vince 

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 07:32:38 PM »
Would this place be of any use?

guest1328

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:16:32 PM »
Thanks Geoffers.

I've sent them a enquiry and am taking the thing to another dealer for a second opinion on Saturday.

Fix it, then its straight into AutoTrader for the little red beauty!

ricksmith

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 09:48:25 PM »
Thanks Geoffers.

I've sent them a enquiry and am taking the thing to another dealer for a second opinion on Saturday.

Fix it, then its straight into AutoTrader for the little red beauty!
Please keep us informed of the reply.

Thanks

Rick

guest1328

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 02:45:58 PM »
2nd Garage maintain it is not the actual SRS unit, but the actual Driver AirBag (or a connection between the 2).  Gives great faith.  How we would have laughed after buying a replacement SRS Module to find it made no difference.

Either way it's £500 +.   

I'm going to try the Customer Care line at Slough to see if they will be willing to contribute.  However, being Honda, they will probably charge calls by the minute. 

I did have the slight satisfaction of telling a salesman the likelyhood of buying a new Honda when he mistook my impatient pacing for eager anticipation.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 12:07:11 PM »
Go back to the original dealer and ask then to recheck also ask what their contribution would be then tell then you intend to go to Watch Dog Consumers Assn Honestjohn D Tel etc etc.
Good Luck

guest1328

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 09:51:35 AM »
Latest development is that Honda insist on a full diagnostics, which is reasonable I suppose.  This will cost £49.  (so must be about 10mins work at Honda rates!)

They will then consider a contribution to the cost - probably about £49!

Bu**er is M'Lady wanted to buy a Citreon in the first place, I convinced her that a Jazz would be far wiser because of its reliability! 

ricksmith

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »
Hi

Any developments on this saga???

guest1328

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 10:41:45 AM »
Full Diagnostic carried out Monday the 12th.   Took them 4 hours!

Problem was allegedly in the drivers seat air bag.  When the mechanic took it for a spin the light went out.  Hooray!  Drove a mile home and it came on again. Boo!

The seat air bag will need to be changed.  I am awaiting any response from Honda. 

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 09:17:54 PM »
In theory changing a seat airbag is an easy job, it is attached to the seat frame with two bolts and has an electrical plug that needs un plugging.

However getting to the airbag will involve removal of the seat cover and possible the foam ........ not an easy job, but not impossible.

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 06:59:16 AM »
It is highly unlikely the seat air bag is faulty. I asked my work collegues and they said they have never known an actual module to go faulty.

More than likely it is the wiring or the plug to the airbag.

The SRS should have a diagnostic function that will inform of the faulty airbag. All this means is that th airbag will not deploy in an accident.

John

PS I test airbags and work closely with the people who develop them.

guest1328

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »
John,

I agree it is probably in the wiring, as why would it go out after the mechanic had fiddled about?

Would it be reasonably easy to take the seat out and get at the wiring to check for a duff connection?

Vince

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »
Yes it is easy to check the airbag. I electrically test all my wiring before each test. There should be an electrical plug under the seat somewhere.

However it is vital that the meter is on the correct setting because it doesnt take much to ignite an airbag

If the airbag goes off with the seat out of the car and the seat is airbag side down then the seat will get propelled in to the air.

I will have to check the setting I use on my meter but I am sure I measure ohms and it should read 3 ohms.

There is an electrical plug on the base of the module and that just clips in. Getting at it will involve removing the seat back cover. Start at the base of the rear of the seat back and there will be some clips. The rest is try and see.

Again airbags are dangerous. The airbag is about a large carrier bag in volume and it fills in 15ms. That is 15 thousands of a second. Not a 10th, not even a 100th of a second, faster than that................

Tags:

anything