Author Topic: Catalytic converter stolen from my 2003 Jazz SE Sport  (Read 9644 times)

Stinger888

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz se sport
Catalytic converter stolen from my 2003 Jazz SE Sport
« on: March 03, 2021, 08:43:37 PM »
Hi everyone,
I had the misfortune to be a victim today and am looking at the best way to replace my CAT.
I have seen alot of exhaust kits on EBAY but am wondering if anyone has any experience after fitting them as to how long they last for or have any recommendations as to which brands..any help would be appreciated in this difficult time.
Thanks!

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Catalytic converter stolen from my 2003 Jazz SE Sport
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 09:14:25 PM »
Hello Stinger888,

Really sorry to hear of your problems. Cat theives are absolulte horrors.

Have a read of these, should have all the info you need. Sadly, you are not alone with this problem.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11989.msg81384#msg81384

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11266.60

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 09:18:22 PM »
Sadly, threads like yours are appearing on here on a regular basis. As Westy says, lots of information in this recent one

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11266.0

I've fitted BM cats on other cars, and a few members on here have fitted them to their Jazzes. Cheapest option for the whole kit, you will probably need a cat, middle pipe, lambda sensors and fitting kit. Something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-JAZZ-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-EXHAUST-STOLEN-ON-YOUR-CAR-THIS-KIT-YOU-NEED/265005234828

There are also kits which include the back box too, if you need it.

Stinger888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 10:07:08 PM »
Sadly, threads like yours are appearing on here on a regular basis. As Westy says, lots of information in this recent one

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11266.0

I've fitted BM cats on other cars, and a few members on here have fitted them to their Jazzes. Cheapest option for the whole kit, you will probably need a cat, middle pipe, lambda sensors and fitting kit. Something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-JAZZ-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-EXHAUST-STOLEN-ON-YOUR-CAR-THIS-KIT-YOU-NEED/265005234828

There are also kits which include the back box too, if you need it.

Thanks for the swift replys guys

Sparky Paul, you mentioned the BM brand but the Ebay link doesnt seem to specify the BM brand...is it another generic brand as the kit seems like what i need!
Thanks

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 10:49:20 PM »
Sparky Paul, you mentioned the BM brand but the Ebay link doesnt seem to specify the BM brand...is it another generic brand as the kit seems like what i need!

If you look in the item specifics, last item in the box is "Part Manufacturer: BM Catalyst". You can check with the seller if you want to confirm, but most of these cheap cats are BM.

Is your car a manual gearbox? The lambda sensors supplied with the kits are for manual only.

Stinger888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 11:35:14 PM »
Thanks for clarifying...yes its a manual gearbox. Undecided as to get complete system or just cat + centre box, i would be trying to fit myself so is it an easy job to attach rear box to new parts?

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 07:51:01 AM »
I think the difficult bit is if the bolts are corroded. Also it's important not to over tighten them. There's a specified torque, typically my Haynes doesn't say what it is. The back box joint is supposed to flex, otherwise it can break off. Happened to me  :(
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 01:17:07 PM »
Thanks for clarifying...yes its a manual gearbox. Undecided as to get complete system or just cat + centre box, i would be trying to fit myself so is it an easy job to attach rear box to new parts?

Have a look at the back box, see if it's getting ready for replacing. If it is, you might as well do it while you are under there. Have a good look at the joint, that's where your problems will start joining it to a new middle pipe. You will probably need a fitting kit for the old back box anyway, unless it's fairly recent.

I think the difficult bit is if the bolts are corroded. Also it's important not to over tighten them. There's a specified torque, typically my Haynes doesn't say what it is. The back box joint is supposed to flex, otherwise it can break off. Happened to me  :(

The bolts for the rear joint are shouldered, and you are safe to tighten them right up to the stop. If the joint is assembled correctly with the correct bolts and fire ring, the springs give the joint the flex required. Correct torque for these 8mm bolts is 22 Nm or 16 lbf.ft, tighten each side in stages so as not to displace the fire ring gasket.

The joints can be assembled incorrectly, you see this quite a lot - and if the bolts have been substituted for normal bolts, as sometimes happens when the old ones are snapped or cut off, it's never going to work properly.

Stinger888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 04:29:25 PM »
The exhaust package arrived today ;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catalytic-Converter-Exhaust-Stolen-on-your-Honda-Jazz-This-is-the-kit-you-need/164167891065

The kit supplied 4 bolts/springs and 3 nuts which doesnt seem to supply enough bolts for the 3 holed flange as well as the manifold and back box ... can someone enlighten me on this and if i need extra bolts what size?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 05:16:50 PM »
My immediate guess is that there are 3 studs in the manifold, use the three new nuts. The two pipe flange joints use 2 bolts and springs each, the bolts usually go into tapped weldnuts fixed to one of the flanges.

I may well be wrong, someone who has done the job will be able to give chapter and verse.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 05:39:44 PM »
Off the top of my head...

The four springs/bolts are two kits of two - one set for the middle pipe to back box, and one set for the front pipe to manifold. The nuts for the rear joint should be captive to the middle pipe.

The only thing supplied for the cat to middle pipe joint (3 hole flanges) is normally the flat gasket. If three nuts are supplied, the corresponding studs may be welded to the cat? Otherwise, you'll have to find 3 bolts - you obviously can't re-use the old ones!

Attached below is a pic of the layout

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 06:14:39 PM by sparky Paul »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 05:57:02 PM »
The Honda diagram shows 3 nuts and bolts for the cat rear flange, items 29 and 4

Stinger888

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 06:23:12 PM »
The kit stated "everything you need" but I still got to find 3 flange bolts and also the nuts for the spring bolts?

Looking on the Honda schematic the spring nuts for the manifold and the back box have different numbers as well so does that mean they are different..could someone tell me the bolt and nut sizes i need please.

When will this nightmare end  :'(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 08:07:37 PM by Stinger888 »

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 08:01:39 PM »
fwiw, I pulled this image from an ebay listing for just the fitting kit for the BM Catalyst made cat for the GD jazz

3x bolts are visible in their kit.

Have you contacted the seller to ask them why their kit is missing the 3x manifold bolts?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 08:25:25 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 10:57:50 PM »
The kit stated "everything you need" but I still got to find 3 flange bolts and also the nuts for the spring bolts?

Looking on the Honda schematic the spring nuts for the manifold and the back box have different numbers as well so does that mean they are different..could someone tell me the bolt and nut sizes i need please.

Don't worry about the part numbers. Aftermarket and OEM part numbers will be different, and the front and back spring bolt sets are the same - parts 14 & 15 on the Honda diagram.  Before we start, I'm assuming that the nuts supplied are for the centre joint, and don't fit the shouldered bolts.

There are no nuts for the manifold joint, the bolts screw into the manifold casting. You have the manifold bolts, springs and gasket.

The rear box joint nuts should be welded/captive on the middle pipe.

I think they assume you will re-use the 3 bolts from the cat/middle pipe joint. As you don't have them, you will have to replace. M10 I think.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 04:01:59 AM by sparky Paul »

Tags:

anything