Author Topic: I'm selling the Jazz !  (Read 9106 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: I'm selling the Jazz !
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2021, 07:35:24 PM »
I had two 99's back to back. I've always liked Flakes.

The green one was the best of the two, but a botched respray had the paint flaking off and the colour changing.
The red one was bought to replace it.

LJs JAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es cvt
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2021, 09:12:57 PM »
Most or the problems mentioned above are now sorted, not had any experience with DSG autos but am on my 15 th VW group car now, never had any serious problems. The TSI or TFSI engine is a gem, I am on my third  now a 1.2 TSI and I get better MPG from this than the jazz. Also worth considering is the dealership, spares situation is far better than Honda, in my experience. Recently my VW needed a part which was a " non fast moving " item no dealer  or the main depot at Milton Keynes had the part. The required part was flown over next day to Milton Keynes, and was at my dealers the following day and fitted straight away. In contrast our Jazz was off the road 2 MONTHS on one occasion waiting for parts after being damaged in an accident. The body shop said they cringe if a Honda comes in because they get pestered by  the  customers wanting to know how long there car is going to be. We still have the jazz, its a good little car, but the VW is superior, in my opinion.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2021, 10:08:29 PM »
I used to really like the Saabs, and I was looking at getting one several years ago, but I think they are a bit old technology now, however if I end up getting a 2010-12 car I will consider them, but I am looking for something a bit newer, and hang on to it for a while.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2021, 11:25:40 PM »
I had a feeling you weren't looking for a banger  ;)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2021, 12:18:24 AM »
Was that Vauxhall Calibra? I don't recall any other Vauxhalls made in Uusikaupunki.

Indeed it was, an early non-turbo 16V 4x4 in Star Silver. The non-turbo version of the 4x4 had a very short production run, I believe less than 500 in total were assembled, all at Valmet.

Very rare car now, only a couple still registered in the UK, last time I checked. Wish I still had it... it was stolen off the driveway in 1996.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2021, 12:35:10 AM »
Very rare car now, only a couple still registered in the UK, last time I checked. Wish I still had it... it was stolen off the driveway in 1996.
Those were the days. When Vauxhalls were worth stealing.

I test drove a Vectra 2.5V6 for a week back in the late 90s. Probably 1998. A real wolf in sheep’s clothing. Nothing really on the outside to show what it was capable of. First car I drove with Traction Control. I headed to the hills in snow to try it out, up the A58 to the M62 Junction 24. Pressed the button, set off and skidded all over the place before realising it was on by default and I’d turned it off!

I used to commute to Normanton near Wakefield at the time and the M1 to A1 link road was being built meaning long roadworks with a 50 limit along the M62 either side of the M1. So I’m in the Vectra doing 50 as per the limit and some bum hole in a BMW was trying to intimidate me to move across so he could intimidate the car in front of me! All the lanes were full and doing roughly the same speed and I was at the 50 limit so I just ignored him.

Once we reached the end of the roadworks I moved over and he pulled alongside to presumably swear at me before pulling away. I smiled nicely at him, gave him a wave and floored it. Safe to say I did not see him for dust. I had never before reached the speed I did that day and never since. I daren't say what it was but what normally feels like a long sweeping right hand bend as you near Normanton felt like a tight corner at that speed.

I returned the car, knowing what it would always tempt me to do and ordered a sedate 2 litre first generation Honda CR/V.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 12:37:14 AM by richardfrost »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2021, 06:58:07 AM »
Was that Vauxhall Calibra? I don't recall any other Vauxhalls made in Uusikaupunki.

Indeed it was, an early non-turbo 16V 4x4 in Star Silver. The non-turbo version of the 4x4 had a very short production run, I believe less than 500 in total were assembled, all at Valmet.

Understandably I have been looking quite closely to what is going on at Uusikaupunki. It's one of the few vehicle manufacturing companies in Finland, and thus it was one of the few potential employers for me before finding my way to "green technology", which in this case means land military camouflage green  ;D

If you ever happen to travel to Finland, Uusikaupunki car plant has very nice museum presenting cars made in there. It just takes three hours from Helsinki to get there.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:04:08 AM by TnTkr »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2021, 09:41:56 AM »
I gave up on VW Beetles in the mid1970's went over to SAAB's, several 96's toured all over Europe then onto 99s inc 99EMS after seeing Sig on the RAC rally when it was based at Chester. Missed out recently on another 96 advertised locally.
Still considering importing Mk2 Jazz RS from Japan once I can work out the new import fees & no lockdown.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2021, 10:50:57 AM »
The Vauxhall Calibra was such a good looking car. I haven't seen one in a very long time though. Didn't know they were Finish made.

Nice Saabs Jocko. Such a unique shape the Saabs.   

Most or the problems mentioned above are now sorted, not had any experience with DSG autos but am on my 15 th VW group car now, never had any serious problems. The TSI or TFSI engine is a gem, I am on my third  now a 1.2 TSI and I get better MPG from this than the jazz. Also worth considering is the dealership, spares situation is far better than Honda, in my experience. Recently my VW needed a part which was a " non fast moving " item no dealer  or the main depot at Milton Keynes had the part. The required part was flown over next day to Milton Keynes, and was at my dealers the following day and fitted straight away. In contrast our Jazz was off the road 2 MONTHS on one occasion waiting for parts after being damaged in an accident. The body shop said they cringe if a Honda comes in because they get pestered by  the  customers wanting to know how long there car is going to be. We still have the jazz, its a good little car, but the VW is superior, in my opinion.
I genuinely didn't know that about Honda and parts delay. Every day is a school day. :D

Re VAG, sorry, but they have produced some very bad engines & gearboxes. ALL manufacturers have their achilles heels, but it's how badly VAG have dealt with them in the UK that is the issue for me. With known problems, post the short 3yr warranty, they bat customers away and deny issues such as timing chain tensioners exist. I'm pleased you've not been affected, but I know people that have lost thousands, and seen Technical Bulletins that evidence very poor VAG behaviour towards customers. Deny rather than recall. Add in 18k long life servicing.......for the very brave IMHO.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2021, 11:40:30 AM »
I test drove a Vectra 2.5V6 for a week back in the late 90s. Probably 1998. A real wolf in sheep’s clothing. Nothing really on the outside to show what it was capable of. First car I drove with Traction Control.

It needed traction control too. I test drove two cars when I bought that, both pre- traction control, a front wheel drive and the 4x4, both with the 150bhp red top 16V. I drove the front wheel drive car first, and on winding roads, even that was easy to get the front torque steering and scrabbling for grip - a bit scary really.

The 4x4, on the other hand, was incredible, like it was glued to the road. It was a great car, and although I have driven all sorts of cars since, it's still the fastest thing I have ever driven around bends. It didn't have the power of the turbo version, nor the turbo lag, but more than enough to have fun with. Surprisingly roomy, and practical too with the hatchback.

Honda link: It was the lowest drag coefficient of any production car until the Honda Insight arrived in 1999.

In it's original form, without the bodykit and spoiler of the turbo version, one of the best looking mass produced cars of the modern age, IMHO. This is the really rare one...

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2021, 12:11:36 PM »

Agreed. That still looks fantastic to me.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 12:14:13 PM by richardfrost »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2021, 12:15:59 PM »
The Vauxhall Calibra was such a good looking car. I haven't seen one in a very long time though. Didn't know they were Finish made.
Not all Calibras were made in Finland, they were produced in Germany too. I don't know if there was any logic or some specific drivetrains made in Finland. I just know they made the Calibra badged as Opel, Vauxhall and Holden. My high school classmate had a basic fwd naturally aspirated Calibra, which was made in Uusikaupunki.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2021, 12:42:45 PM »
Not all Calibras were made in Finland, they were produced in Germany too. I don't know if there was any logic or some specific drivetrains made in Finland. I just know they made the Calibra badged as Opel, Vauxhall and Holden. My high school classmate had a basic fwd naturally aspirated Calibra, which was made in Uusikaupunki.

Early on, I think it was only the low volume models that were assembled at Uusikaupunki, the main production was at Opel Russelsheim.

The Calibra was based on the Cavalier (Vectra A). When it was replaced by the Vecra B in 1995, Vectra A production ceased at Russelsheim, and all Calibra production was moved to Uusikaupunki.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2021, 12:47:22 PM »
Agreed. That still looks fantastic to me.

Identical colour & model to mine. I loved it.

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2021, 12:09:45 PM »
Hello Ozzie,

I’ve put a post on regarding difficulty in starting my hybrid 2011 68 K miles,
 Wondered if you could look and advise of your ownership experience with your cars?
In particular, filters but Spark plugs and changes etc?

Any help greatly appreciated plus enjoy your retirement.

Thanks in advance
Dave C
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

Tags:

anything