Author Topic: Front brake seized  (Read 1359 times)

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Front brake seized
« on: December 22, 2020, 09:13:45 PM »
Went for a short trip to collect shopping from my daughter’s house, only about 2 miles away and was immediately struck how sluggish the car felt and it seemed to freewheel to a stop rather quickly. Arrived at my daughter’s, got out and placed my hand on all 4 wheels and the front one was as hot as a pan on a stove!
Drive straight to my local garage, put it on his ramp and as suspected front wheel locked almost solid, caliper stripped and confirmed extremely rusty piston not wishing to move. New caliper and front pads ordered from Factors and an hour later on my way home.   
Fortunately the garage wasn’t busy and caliper in stock. Paid a bit more for the parts than if I had sourced them myself but happy that the problem was sorted quickly and just before Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Front brake seized
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 10:59:40 PM »
Drive straight to my local garage, put it on his ramp and as suspected front wheel locked almost solid, caliper stripped and confirmed extremely rusty piston not wishing to move. New caliper and front pads ordered from Factors and an hour later on my way home.   
Fortunately the garage wasn’t busy and caliper in stock. Paid a bit more for the parts than if I had sourced them myself but happy that the problem was sorted quickly and just before Christmas.

When you're stuck, you're stuck... you sometimes have to bite the bullet and pay up. You were indeed very fortunate to find the caliper in stock, have it fitted, and be on your way so quickly.

If you can save money on the planned jobs, it makes the unexpected ones a bit more palatable.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 01:25:47 PM »
 :D Your local garage looked after you there. It's nice to hear some positive feedback about the trade for a change.

So, which garage is it? Could be of use to other forum members.

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 01:30:33 PM »
:D Your local garage looked after you there. It's nice to hear some positive feedback about the trade for a change.

So, which garage is it? Could be of use to other forum members.
The garage in question I have used for almost 20 years and the owner has become a friend. Sadly for me he is closing down in a few weeks and starting a well earned retirement so not a lot of point in a recommendation.

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 01:40:20 PM »
When you're stuck, you're stuck... you sometimes have to bite the bullet and pay up. You were indeed very fortunate to find the caliper in stock, have it fitted, and be on your way so quickly.

If you can save money on the planned jobs, it makes the unexpected ones a bit more palatable.

Yes you are absolutely correct.

I am a bit OCD when it comes to preventative maintenance. I’ve now decided that at 15 years old it’s quite likely the remaining 3 calipers are likely to be similarly afflicted with rust so I will be looking to buy in the other 3 in anticipation of this.

As luck will have it I have just spotted a brand new in box RH front genuine Honda caliper which retails at a staggering £500 for £75 on eBay, so I grabbed it.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 03:02:03 PM »
Well, all I can tell you about my experience is that I had to replace both front calipers shortly after buying the old Jazz, but the rear ones have been fine, and they look original.

I fitted cheap pattern ones, and they have been absolutely fine - but I think even I would have been swayed by a genuine caliper at that price. Dirt cheap.

As culzean always says, changing brake fluid regularly is the best way to preserve the life of your brake calipers - preferably every 2 years.

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 03:05:55 PM »
Couldn’t resist the original for that price and it was fortunate that it was the opposite side to the one replaced.

Tags:

anything