Author Topic: Water collecting on top of air box?  (Read 1699 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Water collecting on top of air box?
« on: August 30, 2020, 11:30:12 AM »
Hi,

I've notice that a small pool of water is resting on top of the air box (air filter housing). Is this normal?

Car is still working ok. It just looks like a design floor, but this forum is the place to check if it's normal for a Jazz.

Thanks.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Water collecting on top of air box?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 11:49:09 AM »
Is your under shield missing? Have you been driving through flooding? Is your radiator level okay? I have never noticed any water in mine but then again, after a journey in heavy rain, I tend not to be too keen to lift the bonnet. Just get the car in the garage and get inside for a brew.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 01:25:43 PM »
Just had a look on mine and the Mk 1 has a different system.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 02:55:18 PM »
Never noticed and water on top of airbox - as Jocko says  is the undertray in place and have your driven through standing water or extra heavy rain ?   I struggle to think how water could get up that high in the bonnet,  is the seal strip along where bonnet meets scuttle missing or broken ? There are some drain holes in plastic scuttle above airbox but they are supposed to drain into a piece underneath and away - maybe there is a problem with where scuttle joins up above airbox or the drain holes are blocked.  Try pouring water down grill in front of windscreen above airbox see if any gets through.  Other wise there is a sliding plastic flap in the centre of plastic scuttle with 'frame number' on it, is that missing or broken. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 04:44:19 PM »
Hi,

I've notice that a small pool of water is resting on top of the air box (air filter housing). Is this normal?

Car is still working ok. It just looks like a design floor, but this forum is the place to check if it's normal for a Jazz.

Thanks.

Hi,
I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago.
Wasn't bothered since it's plastic and there'd been some heavy rain.
Just checked  and it's there again.
Noticed the holes in the scuttle above as mentioned by Culzean but haven't investigated where they're supposed to drain to.
My car is about the same age as yours (14 plate).

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 06:35:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  :D

Undershield fitted and I've not been driving through deep water, floods or out rallying!

We've had a lot of rain in Easy Anglia, which is nice for my lawn as its looking green again, but perhaps not so good for my Jazz.

JimSh: You've noticed the same? So it could just be a Jazz thing?

See the attached photo of the scuttle. Does that look correct? The one previous owner only every had it serviced at Honda, so I'm assuming its all there. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 07:03:33 PM »
Looking at the seal, could I suggest you give it a smear of Vaseline or the like. Not a lot, and when you have done, wipe it all off with a bit of kitchen towel.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 07:08:06 PM »

JimSh: You've noticed the same? So it could just be a Jazz thing?

See the attached photo of the scuttle. Does that look correct? The one previous owner only every had it serviced at Honda, so I'm assuming its all there.

Looks the same as mine only cleaner.
My car is normally parked facing downhil so the water has been collecting at the front of the hollow as in your first photos.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 08:14:11 PM »
Our Jazz Mk2 faces downhill when parked and never noticed any water in airbox recesses - we have had some pretty torrential rain as well - as I said before try pouring water into scuttle and see where it goes, the drain holes in your photo drain into the lower part of scuttle and need to check if there is a gap in joint between upper and lower part of scuttle which may allow water out if car is parked on a sloping drive.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:53:57 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 12:48:30 PM »
Have just looked under my Mk2 bonnet.

Slight rim of dirt where yours had water - which suggests maybe a little has lodged there and evaporated.

Went through 1 foot high floods in March - no obvious issues.. .(but very slowly.. had a big build up of leaves and small twigs on bottom radiator grille on the front outside of car..

I suspect the drain holes above on the bulkhead are blocked.. the bulkhead seal level level falls near there so if you park with driver's side higher, water will naturally fall onto the airbox and collect.

Won't do any harm if the airbox is properly closed...

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 03:39:59 PM »
Hi,

Thanks.

Had a look again today.
Poured water into scuttle and it seemed to drain away.
Had a poke with a plastic straw. There seemed to be some crud at the holes at the extreme ends of the low points.
Poured in more water which seemed to drain away fine.
By this time I noticed that the water was draining out at the back of the wheel arches.
Will have another look next time it rains.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 03:26:10 PM »
Opened the bonnet today and the water is back.
There's a group of Scot's pines across the road and they've been casting a lot of needles but the drainage holes appeared clear. Had a slightly deeper poke with plastic "straw". Water drained away as before with no apparent leakage.
I'm not particularly bothered about the water being on top of air filter (plastic) but maybe there's water getting to other bits under the bonnet too.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 03:51:11 PM »
It collects on mine as well but only there nowhere else. I don't think that it is a problem.
It only seems to collect when the car is stood overnight or any length of time in the rain, not when being driven.
It's your fault Jim, I never noticed it until you mentioned it!

Vic.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 03:57:25 PM »
I wouldn't have noticed either without the post from Westy36.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 10:11:39 PM »
My Mk2 does the same, probably a design oversight not to include a drain path for water accumulation but it won't cause any issues.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

Tags:

anything