Author Topic: Longest ever between washes.  (Read 2495 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Longest ever between washes.
« on: May 01, 2020, 08:38:37 AM »
Today I put my car through the automatic car wash at my local Morrisons. That was the first time washing it since the 15th of October, last year. I usually am quite pernickety at keeping the car clean, but circumstances have just conspired against me over the winter.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Longest ever between washes.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 10:50:54 AM »
Don't think I've ever gone that long. That said, you get a lot more satisfaction from cleaning a really filthy car.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 11:06:02 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised when I saw how well it cleaned up.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 11:23:51 AM »
I'd say that's a result. I cleaned mine a few times over the winter but it was so wet it was filthy again in a day.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

guest9236

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 03:39:39 PM »
Today I put my car through the automatic car wash at my local Morrisons. That was the first time washing it since the 15th of October, last year. I usually am quite pernickety at keeping the car clean, but circumstances have just conspired against me over the winter.

Often wondered, does  a car wash scratch paintwork or damage wipers etc

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 03:46:56 PM »
I wouldn't put a new car through one, though one I visited in the past had the option for a "Brushless wash". Don't know how good or otherwise it was, but it certainly wouldn't scratch the paintwork!
I have never experienced any damage but I have only ever put old and roadworn cars through. The attendant today told me to unscrew my roof aerial (which I had already removed) and the car came out unscathed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 04:02:51 PM »

I have seen pictures over the years of cars that regularly get put through auto car washes with swirls and scratches on the paint from the brushes and the dirt collected on the brushes from your and other vehicles - don't know if an occasional auto wash is too bad,  especially if you get one that washes underneath with jets after a winter to get the salt off...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »
Other than careful hand washing, with the two bucket system, all cars end up with some swirls and scratches. But on 100,000-mile paintwork, it doesn't make a lot of difference.
Took this when I got home:

guest9236

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 06:12:44 PM »
Other than careful hand washing, with the two bucket system, all cars end up with some swirls and scratches. But on 100,000-mile paintwork, it doesn't make a lot of difference.
Took this when I got home:

My goodness that looks smashing I might give it a go.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »
I think most cars end up with swirl marks, even if you use the 2 bucket method, there's no getting away from the fact that, at some point you will be dragging fine grit particles across the surface. That's why perfectionists use snow foam and power washers to loosen the dirt before touching the paint work.

Even my brand new car has a few swirls marks and I reckon it was my own fault. We got that Saharan rain with sand in it and I washed the car. Good rinse with the hose, used a good shampoo and a soft wash mitt. I'm not going to do that again. Just looked at my car now after a few sharp showers and it has actually washed most of the grit off. That's the best time to wash your car, not when we have had rain borne on southerly winds.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 11:53:37 AM »
The detailers out there use orbital sanders and the like to keep their paintwork like new. Any car used on the road suffers paintwork damage no matter how you clean it.

Tags:

anything