Author Topic: Crank shaft oil seal replacement every oil change?  (Read 1464 times)

wr_uk

• Registered Member
Crank shaft oil seal replacement every oil change?
« on: November 26, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »
Have a Jazz mk2. Has full service history at the Honda dealer for the last 5 years every time Ive had the oil change they called me up to tell me the crank shaft oil seal need to be replaced at £90 a time.

Is this normal?

Ive flagged it up this time and waiting to hear back from the dealer as Im starting to think its either not been fitted properly or there a problem somewhere else that making it look like the seal has a leak. Or I could be completely wrong and this is normal.

Anybody else had similar experiences?

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Crank shaft oil seal replacement every oil change?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »
I personally think you're getting ripped off.

Email Honda tech dept and ask their opinion.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 01:44:53 PM »
You are the first person I have heard this happening to. Sounds like the seals are being damaged when fitted or the crankshaft surface is damaged and keeps tearing the seals. Could be damaged due to the number of times seal has been changed!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 01:58:26 PM »
I had an oil leak from under the engine on a Mk 1 that I owned. It was under warranty and the dealer suggested that it was a crankshaft oil seal but on examining the problem realised that it was coming from the sump oil seal.This seal is a black one that fits in a groove in the sump.
They changed the seal but a few miles later the leak returned so they replaced the seal again only for the leak to return a few miles later.
I asked if, when the seal was changed, they used gasket cement. I was told that because of the design of the seal it didn't need it but they had never come across this problem before.
My response was that the leak was still there so what are you going to do about it? They changed the seal again but this time used gasket cement as well and lo and behold the leak stopped.

Vic.

wr_uk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 02:09:11 PM »
They've not changed it this time round after I questioned it. I need to take it. they've cleaned round it and I have to take it back in about 3 weeks so they can establish if it is the crank shaft seal or not.

I'll be well pissed if it turns out to be something else considering they told me that the leak was due to the crank shaft seal and its been replaced 5 years in a row

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 04:40:40 PM »
I'll be well pissed if it turns out to be something else considering they told me that the leak was due to the crank shaft seal and its been replaced 5 years in a row

5 times!  :o

Sump gasket is favourite, but it's not difficult to figure out - bottom pulley usually flings oil all over if the crank seal has gone.

wr_uk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 04:53:13 PM »
sparky Paul. i'll make a note and put this too them depending on what they say.

Cheers

Tags:

anything