Author Topic: TPMS  (Read 1937 times)

Top Down

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: March 2012 1.4 iVTEC EX - Deep Sapphire Blue
TPMS
« on: October 28, 2019, 07:22:32 AM »
I'm on my second Mk2 EX Jazz, brilliant cars and I'm hankering after one of the last of the Mark. However, the thought of the TPMS system is putting me off. I know I could go for a 2014 model that didn't have it - and might even find a 2015 registered car without it but they seem few and far between.

So, am I being over cautious in a avoiding what seems an unnecessary over complication, when a tyre gauge and regular checks are part of my routine? I'd hate to find the TPMS turns out to be the Achillies Heel that spoils an otherwise brilliant car.

I don't think it's something you can turn off and presumably it's one of those expensive MOT warning light failure things?

I think I've talked myself out of it again but anyone have any experience of TPMS on Jazzes?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: TPMS
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 09:18:32 AM »
I had the same concerns, however the 2015 EX Jazz came with the same TPMS as earlier Accords ie not the same as the new model Jazz .
I swop over the winter tyres & steel wheels the warning light comes on after 10 miles or so , when I refit the summer alloys the light goes out within 1 min.
The later model Jazz 2015-19 does have a record of false faults often leading to dealerships advising you need a new Dunlop at £££.
I wouldn't worry about it , bit I miss the steering wheel paddle controls I had on the previous Jazz 2012 MY.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 10:16:16 AM »
I have a 2015 ex from new.
The light did show itself when the car was new but I have had no further trouble with it.
I my opinion you are over thinking things.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 10:45:48 AM »
Now on my 4th Jazz EX, if i remember correctly, all had TPMS and I can't say I've had much problem with any of them.
In 10 years maybe 2 or 3 issues when the warning light has come on.
It's important to follow the correct procedure, as detailed in the manual, when resetting the system and drive a few miles on relatively straight roads, after resetting, so that the system 'learns' the new setting.
There are better TPMS systems around, but I would rather have it, than not and accept the odd false alarm.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 04:55:11 PM »
I was ranting about the system on my Mk3 Jazz. It gave 3 successive false alarms not long after I bought it and all after short bursts of motorway driving. The problem then went away (I recalibrated the system after each false alarm). Never did find out what was wrong but I'm wondering if the car had been stationary on the dealer forecourt for too long. It is still operational as the light comes on when starting then disappears as it should.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 05:50:27 PM »
My Mk3 had a couple of episodes mainly after it was new, when I did a long motorway drive and when I got new tyres.  False alarms each time.

So by the time I got my HR-V I had got used to ignoring it, which I duly did.  Until I went out to put the car in the garage and found the rear nearside flat as a pancake.  Lesson learnt :-[.

My overall comment is that it certainly wouldn't put me off buying the car.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 10:13:06 PM »
I've only had one false alarm, in 18 months ownership.

A heavy loaded seaside run/ return. With a couple of psi extra added. No problem.

A week later. Same run/ return, with only 1 passenger, and less boot luggage. False alarm.....

Checking while still hot, on leaving motorway. I found the front tyres had gained almost 4psi. The rears had gained less than 2psi.....
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 09:08:00 PM »
Maybe I didn't phrase this too well.

The Mk3 Jazz EX doesn't appeal at all. Sorry.

A) I don't like the styling and
B) It lost its panoramic roof, the main distinguishing feature!

It's one of the last of the Mk2 EX's, which were available until 2015, that I'd be after.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 10:35:32 PM »
It's one of the last of the Mk2 EX's, which were available until 2015, that I'd be after.

We have a late mk2 EX. We haven't had it long, only a few months, but FWIW, no problems with the TPMS so far, no false alarms or anything.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 02:13:37 PM »
Maybe I didn't phrase this too well.

The Mk3 Jazz EX doesn't appeal at all. Sorry.

A) I don't like the styling and
B) It lost its panoramic roof, the main distinguishing feature!

The system is the same on both models though as far as I am aware.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 02:28:42 PM »
IIRC for 1 year ( 2015 MY ) Honda tried the 'pressure sensor'  direct TPMS before going back to 'indirect TPMS ' ( ABS pulses ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Top Down

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: March 2012 1.4 iVTEC EX - Deep Sapphire Blue
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 06:40:48 AM »
That's what I understood too, so a system unique to the 2015 Mk2, which makes me wonder why it was abandoned?

Maybe, as someone said, I am 'overthinking it' but in future it may make it difficult and/or expensive to find parts when maintainance of the TPMS system is required?

Oh - and it's not true to say ALL Jazz cars had TPMS. It was only introduced in 2015, so impossible to have had 'only two or three issues' in ten years of ownership, sorry.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:49:20 AM by Top Down »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 11:34:12 AM »
That's what I understood too, so a system unique to the 2015 Mk2, which makes me wonder why it was abandoned?

Maybe, as someone said, I am 'overthinking it' but in future it may make it difficult and/or expensive to find parts when maintainance of the TPMS system is required?

Oh - and it's not true to say ALL Jazz cars had TPMS. It was only introduced in 2015, so impossible to have had 'only two or three issues' in ten years of ownership, sorry.

I've learnt something here because I thought Honda had always used the "Deflation Warning System" as opposed to the more common TPMS. I wonder why they did change as you say. The advantage of a full on TPMS is that you know exactly which wheel is affected.

Gut feeling, if you like the car, go for it. I can't see it being an insoluble problem.

Tags:

anything