Author Topic: Squeaky Clutch Pedal - MK3 Sport  (Read 3147 times)

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
Squeaky Clutch Pedal - MK3 Sport
« on: September 25, 2019, 05:01:54 PM »
Our Mk3 sport has only done a few thousand miles and has developed a bit a squeak when you press on the clutch pedal. I'm just wondering if anyone else has come across this and if there is an easy fix?

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Squeaky Clutch Pedal - MK3 Sport
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 11:32:05 AM »
Thanks for the link. I did do a search but only found threads for the MK1.

But it seems like a common issue so will try the suggested fixes. Thanks again!

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 12:29:32 PM »
Monday morning I will go to the dealer, my clutch is squeeking again.

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 02:03:13 PM »
Monday morning I will go to the dealer, my clutch is squeeking again.

Did you try the method of pushing the pedal down before applying grease/lub?

Someone suggested using 3in1 PTFE lub, I'm thinking of trying this but wondering if anyone has tried this yet?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 02:19:06 PM »

Someone suggested using 3in1 PTFE lub, I'm thinking of trying this but wondering if anyone has tried this yet?

I find PTFE ( Teflon ) lube much superior and long lasting than normal lubes,  in padlocks, locks, motorbike drive chains etc.......  try GT85 - it is widely available and not expensive,  but personally I find 3 in 1 advanced PTFE lube the best and longest lasting.

https://3-in-one.co.uk/products/high-performance-lubricant-with-ptfe/

This lube is safe on plastics and rubber unlike some petroleum based lubes which can attack plastic and rubber and make them swell or break up.   I avoid the 'oil with added PTFE' lubes as they are probably petroleum based.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:26:13 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 02:38:53 PM »

No, my Jazz is still in warranty so only the dealer will touch it until the end of the first 3 years. I hope the dealer will fix this problem, then eventually I will try the method you're talking about.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 02:44:42 PM »

This lube is safe on plastics and rubber unlike some petroleum based lubes which can attack plastic and rubber and make them swell or break up.   I avoid the 'oil with added PTFE' lubes as they are probably petroleum based.
Both PTFE and Silicon based lubricant are usually safe for plastics and rubbers, so they should be ok.
The grease is an oil  with added a sort of "soap", used to keep it creamy.

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 04:22:32 PM »

No, my Jazz is still in warranty so only the dealer will touch it until the end of the first 3 years. I hope the dealer will fix this problem, then eventually I will try the method you're talking about.

Yes our Jazz is still in warranty as well, but I just figured for the sake of a can of lubricant I can save myself the hassle of taking it into Honda and have them pulling things apart unnecessarily. I'll probably do try the lubrication first, and if it fails I'll take it back to Honda.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 06:13:25 PM »
Update.
The dealer dismantled and reassembled the whole pedal assembly, lubricating  each point that could scratch. Now it works fine.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 05:29:07 PM »
Second update.
After an year my pedal started to squeek again.
Tomorrow morning I will buy some motorbike chain grease and a 13mm long wrench and then, during christmas holidays, I will take out the pedal assembly and I will lubricate every single piece moving.
I hope to make a video.

PM

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 1.3 CVT & Manual
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 06:55:16 PM »
I had this on a 2017 Jazz. I lubricated everything and it made no difference.
So, I removed the cotter pin that connects the clutch pedal to the clutch master cylinder and found that the pin (which has a black coloured coating had a matt finish on it. I put the pin in my electric drill and polished the coating to a mirror finish (though still black) using metal polish. Using a little bit of molybdenum disulfide grease on reassembly.
(The pin is held in place with an "R" type split pin on the side that's not visible in the attached picture.)
It's been perfect for the last year - and hopefully many more to come. ;D

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 04:21:52 PM by PM »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2020, 02:14:04 PM »
Good idea and good job. The pin you're talking about is the same for all Honda pedal clutches, it should be squeeky in all cars of the same brand.
Some days ago I removed the clutch pedal assembly (left hand drive, right hand traffic) and I tried to lubricate all parts: spring holes and the master cylinder pin are easy to be reached, while the pedal pin is quite sealed. There is an internal pin, joininig the external frame and "coated" with a sort of plastic lining. Then there is a black tube, which can rotate on this lining, where the pedal and spring holder are welded. The lining (PTFE or Nylon or other hard plastic) should provide smoothness and self lubrication, but I suspect that part of the problem is there. I mede a little hole on the frame (2mm) tryng to reach the internal lining and creating a channel to insert oil or grease, but today the pedal is still making noise...
Now I will try with your way, then I will report.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 02:02:40 PM »
Update.
It does not work, the pedal is still squeeking.
To be honest, I used drill at high speed and only a very very thin sand paper, the pin now looks like a mirror but the annoying noise is still there..
Next step: remove the pin again, clean it again with ultrasonic  in aceton bath, drill and polish paste, re-was, grease  and re-test.
I hope I will solve, otherwise I will remove the pedal center pin with a grinder, build a new pin using the lathe, then I don't know, if necessary I will rebuild also a teflon bushing or I will use a couple of roller bearings.
I'm afraid about removing the two sensors (I don't know how to mount  them again in the same old position), otherwise I would put the whole assembly inside a tray full of oil, leaving it overnight.
I'm very upset about the poor  quality of this car.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 02:18:19 PM by jazzaro »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 05:02:23 PM »
Second update.
It seems that the noise has disappeared, after spraying a little bit of lubricant inside the master cylinder.
Push the pedal, spray, leave the pedal, no more noise.

Tags: