Author Topic: Bonnet stay clip  (Read 2095 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Bonnet stay clip
« on: September 19, 2019, 09:35:07 AM »
The clip which holds the bonnet stay (white plastic near battery) has broken. Does anybody know how to remove the broken remains and fit the  new part?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Bonnet stay clip
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »
Looking at a new one it just pushes through the mounting hole and the spring clips hold it in place. May just have to break it to get it out unless you can squeeze the clips in somehow.

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 10:58:58 AM »
Thanks. Should be more obvious when I get new bit.

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 04:16:20 PM »
Yep,
It does just clip in, I had to replace the one on my previous MK2 Jazz.
It goes in easy enough.

Steve

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 02:56:08 PM »
Yep,
It does just clip in, I had to replace the one on my previous MK2 Jazz.
It goes in easy enough.

Steve
Priced part on internet. From £2 on ebay to £4 from Cox motors for genuine Honda.
Cox also wanted £4 for postage.
Then I remembered that I drove past the local Honda dealer every other day. They moved about 6 months ago.
Out of curiosity I thought I would price it in there.
Big plush showroom with no wee side door for parts dept. Receptionist at main reception desk referred me to another reception desk manned by two ladies one of whom asked me what I wanted and then went to fetch somebody from parts.
Receptionist came back and told me he was out but wouldn't be long.
I sat and waited, read all the brochures on the desk and then started to look round the cars in the showroom.
A few minutes later the guy from parts appeared, took down the registration no. of the car and then went to price part - £1.97 they could order one in for next day.
Picked it up this morning.
Old part came out like a broken tooth with a pair of pliers and new one pushed in no bother. 2 minutes.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 04:11:29 PM »
Big plush showroom with no wee side door for parts dept. Receptionist at main reception desk referred me to another reception desk manned by two ladies one of whom asked me what I wanted and then went to fetch somebody from parts.
Receptionist came back and told me he was out but wouldn't be long.
I sat and waited, read all the brochures on the desk and then started to look round the cars in the showroom.

I find it really wierd buying parts from main dealers nowadays. A few years ago, each dealer whould have a dedicated stores counter, sometimes a hole in the wall, sometimes with its own entrance, but invariably where a chap in a brown smock would have access to computer catalogues, or in the old days, microfiche and paper books.

Now, you almost always have to go to the main reception desk. They then send for someone out of the back, while you stand about like a pudding for 10 minutes. When someone looking as equally bemused as you finally arrives out of the depths of the offices, you then have to describe the parts you require while they scribble them down and scuttle off for prices. Anything complicated turns into a very long winded job.

Stand by for an anecdote.

For many years, I used a local Vauxhall dealer which had an excellent parts counter run by an oldish chap, clad in aforementioned brown smock, who was the most helpful bloke I have ever encountered in the motor trade. A few years ago, I needed a dealer only part for my father's old 1997 Astra F, so I thought I would call in.

Anyway, it turned out they had moved to shiny new premises out of town, and the stores counter was no more - it was all dealt with through the main reception. When the the spotty stores lad finally arrived and I told him what I wanted the parts for, he looked at me like I had two heads - I may as well have been asking for a starting handle for a Light Six.

JimSh

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 05:27:54 PM »
I suppose the idea is you go in looking for a washer and come out having bought a car.
I agree about the knowledge that the old spares guys used to have and then there were the microfiches.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 07:54:35 PM »
Yes agree about buying parts from dealers, having to ask in main showroom at reception desk and wait around like a muppet while they try to find someone from workshop , that is why I don't get parts from them any more, filters from Opie oils, pads and discs eurocarparts and other stuff like drive belts from Cox motors......
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 10:10:11 PM »
I remember buying parts for our old Austin 1800. As I said what I wanted the old guy in the brown smock wrote the half dozen part numbers on his pad, stuck the pencil behind his ear, went off and came back with the parts. No computer, no microfiche, no catalogue. Brilliant.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 02:35:40 PM »
When we were on a 2 day rally in Wales in 1970's needed a fuel cap before we entered the next stage found a dealer open ,rushed in asked for a cap - they took one off a new model in the showroon - no charge. Off we went ...
Happy days

Tags:

anything