Author Topic: unable to reset sevice reminders since replacing car battery  (Read 902 times)

Rupert

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2009 ex
unable to reset sevice reminders since replacing car battery
« on: August 27, 2019, 05:02:15 PM »
I cannot reset the service reminders following the instructions in the owners handbook . A further not says that reset is not possible by user if car battery has been replaced or gone flat . Does this mean I will have to visit Honda dealer ?

TonyS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 1.4 EX
Re: unable to reset sevice reminders since replacing car battery
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 05:33:06 PM »
You shouldn't have to visit the dealer and it should reset by following the instructions in the manual.
I have reset my wife's at least a couple of times since I replaced the battery.
The note in the manual states "If your vehicle's battery is disconnected or goes dead, the time and distance calculation of the service reminder is suspended. This will cause the service timing to change. In this case the calculation should be updated by your dealer." 
The way that I read it means that it doesn't say that it can't be reset just that to retain what was the current reminder setting before the battery was disconnected will require a visit to the dealer.
Hope this helps.

Rupert

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2009 ex
Re: unable to reset sevice reminders since replacing car battery
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 06:46:55 PM »
Thanks for your reply Tony. You are right about the wording in the manual , I have taken it as the reason that I can't do the reset . I have done the reset in the past as per the manual but no success now .
 The only change there has been to the car is the battery replacement (and that was back in April).
 I have now also got a " system messenger indicator " light on the dash which I have assumed is because I have ignored the service reminder - The car is running perfectly  any ideas what else I can try as a reasonably competent amateur mechanic ? (short of taking it to a Honda dealer !)

Tags:

anything