Author Topic: Gearbox oil Change - How?  (Read 16178 times)

tomreys

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Jazz
Gearbox oil Change - How?
« on: June 16, 2019, 09:16:38 PM »
Doing a full service on newly bought Jazz & Want to change the gearbox oil for it as well as the gearbox doesn't feels as smooth as it should.
It's a 2012 Jazz 1.4 Engine / Manual Transmission - without the paddle shifts ,just the regular one.

Got a few questions:
-What oil do I need exactly? And how much of it is needed?
-Also do I need to do some kind of flushing done as well? If so would probably need double the amount? Or the Flushing is not really needed?

-How do you fill it up? Can you fill it from top with a funnel and a hose, or you need to pump it up with a pump from the bottom of the car? Not really sure what kind of access you get for this car.
-Do you need to position the car in any special way or?

-Also might be a stupid question ( I have never changed transmission fluid on any of my previous cars), but is there a way to check the condition of the oil before replacing it? Like some kind of reservoir/dipstick etc?

tomreys

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Gearbox oil Change - How?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 11:32:57 PM »
Bump,would really appreciate if someone could share this info.

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 12:57:03 AM »
HI very easy job just done mine 2010 jazz 1.4 i shift auto but with the manual gear box, all you need is 2 ltrs of honda MTF fLUID if you have auto cvt it is cvt fluid for the manual gearbox a funnel a long piece of clear pipe to fit on the end of the funnel and the two replacement washers for the drain and fill. easiest way i found was to remove the passenger side wheel and you will see the drain and fill  plugs take out the FILL plug first 17 mm, then the drain plug 3/8 square because if you drain the oil and cannot get the fill plug undo you are in trouble!! drain out the oil. then place in the hose into the fill hole, with the drain plug in and new washer( paid 17p each from honda dealer)  feed the hose from the top of the engine bay down, and fill with clean oil, about 1.4 ltrs  until it overflows, and replace plug with new washer, there are a couple of vids on you tube no filters either to replace very easy job good luck!!

tomreys

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 12:00:02 PM »
HI very easy job just done mine 2010 jazz 1.4 i shift auto but with the manual gear box, all you need is 2 ltrs of honda MTF fLUID if you have auto cvt it is cvt fluid for the manual gearbox a funnel a long piece of clear pipe to fit on the end of the funnel and the two replacement washers for the drain and fill. easiest way i found was to remove the passenger side wheel and you will see the drain and fill  plugs take out the FILL plug first 17 mm, then the drain plug 3/8 square because if you drain the oil and cannot get the fill plug undo you are in trouble!! drain out the oil. then place in the hose into the fill hole, with the drain plug in and new washer( paid 17p each from honda dealer)  feed the hose from the top of the engine bay down, and fill with clean oil, about 1.4 ltrs  until it overflows, and replace plug with new washer, there are a couple of vids on you tube no filters either to replace very easy job good luck!!

Thanks dude, really needed the amount I need to get as Couldn't find that info anywhere.

I suppose this is the fluid for manual gearbox?
Honda MTF-3 ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-New-Honda-Ultra-MTF-3-3L-0826799902HE-x-3/223320852637?epid=22031187153&hash=item33fef5c89d:g:fokAAOSw6-Nbqk3q

So you just pour in the new fluid to the brim till it starts overflowing and coming out? That's it?

Also what size washers do you need? Re-using the old ones is a no-no?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:29:47 PM by tomreys »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 12:36:04 PM »
If you have a decent socket set with 3/8" drive wrench it will fit directly into the drain plug.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RayS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 06:58:13 PM »
I recently changed my gearbox oil on my Mk1, which I believe has the same manual transmission ( if it doesn't, please ignore the rest of this post!). You will need 1.6L of mtf oil. This comes in 1L bottles. The drain plug is located close to the driveshaft & the fill plug above it. Make sure you can undo the fill plug before removing the drain plug or you will be in big trouble!
 The crush washers are different sizes. The drain plug is the same size as the engine oil drian plug. The fill plug is larger at 28mm O/D. I used a 5/8" PVC hose along with a 5/8" 90 degree barbed angle to refill. I am not familar with the engine bay on the MK2, but on my mk1, I found it easier to remove the battery & tray to allow easier access to insrt the fill pipe. There are youtube videos to help.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:00:59 PM by RayS »

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 07:08:27 PM »
Good post. On mark 2 I managed to thread the plastic tube down from the top of the engine without removing anything.

tomreys

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 07:10:56 PM »
Bump, Can anyone confirm this is the fluid you need for Manual Transmission for the 2012 Jazz?
and 1.4litres is the quantity needed for 1 change?

Honda MTF-3 ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-New-Honda-Ultra-MTF-3-3L-0826799902HE-x-3/223320852637?epid=22031187153&hash=item33fef5c89d:g:fokAAOSw6-Nbqk3q

So you just pour in the new fluid to the brim till it starts overflowing and coming out? That's it?

Also what size washers do you need? Re-using the old ones is a no-no?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 07:35:06 PM »
That is the correct oil. With the car on level ground fill casing until it starts to run out of the fill/level port. Once it stops coming out, add a little more, leaving it to dribble out, then leave it until no more comes out before refitting plug. I usually just use the old washers, though I have never changed the Jazz transmission fluid.

RayS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 08:23:01 PM »
 Fill plug Crush Washer is 28mm O/D, 20mm I/D & 2mm thick.
Honda part number: H9410920000. £0.85 each.
 Drain plug crush washer 22mm O/D 14mm I/D X 2mm.

tomreys

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 11:39:59 AM »
Just changed the oil, It was Super super super easy! As easy as changing engine oil.. Never would have thought that!
Only required 2 persons ,one to pour in, other to keep the hose end in place from underside.

1.6 litres went in, reused the old washers and I couldn't believe a simple oil change can make the gearbox feel completely different. Will change on the Mk1 as well now that it gave such a difference!
I thought they fill the gearbox oil for manuals for the life of the car...

Tags: