Author Topic: Just bought a 2011 Jazz Hybrid, how to charge 12v battery correctly  (Read 5775 times)

JazzHybrid

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
Hi there guys. I am new to the forum and have bought a nice low mileage Honda Jazz, 2011. :)

I would like to ask - how would I go about charging the regular 12v battery? I have a CTEK smart charger (excellent chargers) and on all my other cars I have used it once every quarter for a good overnight charge and hence I have never had a battery die on me and most of my cars have been around the decade old mark or slightly older.

I like to look after things.

So, what is the best way to charge the regular 12v battery and where is it?

Thank you!

Jonathan  :D

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Just bought a 2011 Jazz Hybrid, how to charge 12v battery correctly
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 03:21:09 PM »
Hi Johnathan.
                    The battery is in the engine compartment to the right of the engine as you face it with the bonnet open.
Connect your charger the same way as you have done in the past if you are convinced that charging the battery every three months makes any difference.
Do you have the radio code in case you disconnect the battery, which isn't necessary.

Vic.

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 05:20:41 PM »
Afternoon, Vic. Thank you for your help. Not sure about the radio code, where would I find it?  :o

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 06:02:46 PM »
Afternoon, Vic. Thank you for your help. Not sure about the radio code, where would I find it?  :o

Should be a card with radio code in the pocket of plastic wallet that has owners handbook in it.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 08:14:21 PM »
I used to have a 2011 hybrid Jazz. I'm sure I charged the battery on a few occasions after I had been away for a few weeks and never took any special precautions: I just connected the charger to the 12V battery and turned it on.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 10:42:06 PM »
Thank you gentlemen. I found the radio code card and also the charge seems to have gone absolutely fine. I drove 150 miles back home today, it really was quite effortless. The cabin is spacious and well made. The only thing annoying me at the moment is the radio, it is fiddly and I am not a fan of touch screens, but aside from that it is great. Also found the radio code car in the owners pack. :)

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 02:06:35 PM »
Well, it looks my battery is buggered. Since my last post, whereby I fully recharged the battery, I opened the bonnet today and put the volt meter on it - 12.1v! It was 12.9v when I took it off charge.

So time for a new batt I think. Question is this - because of the constant stop start, will I regular battery get knackered quickly and hence I need an expensive and dedicated stop start 12v battery or do most Jazz hybrids have a normal battery?

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 05:53:30 PM »
I m using a Bosch one at the moment since January. This is the 3rd battery since owning the Jazz from 2012(09 plate). For some reason they don't last that long. Compare to my Ibiza, battery is small size-in nine years I only changed twice with the same usage. In fact the Jazz I use for long journeys.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 06:17:25 PM »
Does the hybrid motor not start the Jazz?

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 06:47:55 PM »
A Jazz hybrid uses a conventional battery as it does the idle stop restarts and normal engine starts with the hybrid motor/HV battery.

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 07:22:39 PM »
Thank you, Steve. I did not know this. I spoke to a battery seller earlier today who said I need a dedicated stop-start battery and that a regular battery would die in a matter of months. Looks like he was telling me porkies!

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »
Small update - my Yuasa YBX5054 arrived this morning. I took the old battery out (it was showing just 12v!) and plumbed the new Yuasa in. The little battery tray which holds the battery is a little flimsy, but when secured down and weighed down by the battery works as intended.

For anyone interested, the YBX5054 is a direct replacement with a cold cranking capacity of 340a and 40aH. It is 187mm in length, but there is a tiny bit of room in the battery tray so in theory something that is 200mm long would also fit there, providing it is no wider than 130mm. I paid £46 for mine delivered.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 12:12:13 PM »

You could try a further charge on low amps over day/night to see if will come good  -is the green blob showing on the top of the battery?

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 09:55:48 PM »
Sadly not. The white blob with a red dot was showing after I put the CTEK charger on it overnight for a recondition charge. Usually the CTEK revives a knackered battery but I suspect this one has gone too far so it was done. Also, I noted a small amount of liquid at the bottom of the battery tray which could possibly be battery acid and if so, might explain why the damn thing was not in a good shape.

Thanks to all for their help. Great to be part of the Jazz Hybrid family.

;D

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 01:43:20 PM »
OK, best bet- take the battery to your scrap metal yard, I wait until I have 6 to weight in for £

Tags: