Author Topic: Manual / CVT general discussion.  (Read 5530 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Manual / CVT general discussion.
« on: October 25, 2018, 04:35:25 PM »
I have started this thread as I don't want to thread drift other threads. Some may find my opinions contentious but I am not trying to upset or annoy anyone.

I am a believer in leaving a torque converter transmission (Jazz CVT) in this case, to do its own thing, particularly when stopped for short periods. This means foot on brake, engine auto off, unless repeated very short stops are required when I switch the auto stop start off. Now for what may be the contentious bit. I think that the drivers who put an auto into neutral or park during a normal traffic length stop may be reverting to decades of manual transmission use. The excuse of " I want to turn my brake lights off " does not work for me. They would probably be the only car in the queue without brake lights on. I will select neutral and handbrake on for a long stop to give my foot a rest and if it is a really long stop turn the engine off.

Feel free to discuss.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 04:38:15 PM by Skyrider »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Manual / CVT general discussion.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 05:14:20 PM »
I agree with all of this. I do find keeping the foot on the brake can be a pain at times usually at lights with a long stop time and have been tempted to switch off - I would do at a level crossing.

On the auto idle stop, I turn mine off if I know I'm not going to be stopped at lights - so, typically, on the way home, having gone through my last lot of lights, I'll turn it off. I hate it auto stopping in my drive and then restarting.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 05:28:50 PM »
Driving a manual hire car for two weeks reminded me how tiring it is to keep the clutch depressed during short traffic stops. So shifting into neutral becomes a habit.  Keeping a foot on the brake alone is not so tiring, as the pedal is not so far depressed as when de-clutching, and the pedal pressure is less.  But for a long stop in the cvt I go into park and switch off.

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 05:51:28 PM »
But for a long stop in the cvt I go into park and switch off.

No problem with that, remember that the driver behind you will twitch when your reversing lights flash as you go through reverse to get to drive to move off. :o

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 06:11:22 PM »
It's decades since I owned an automatic and I'm now looking forward to the arrival of my CVT.  At the moment I think I will be driving it exactly as described in the opening by Skyrider.  The difference on the HR-V is that it has Brake Assist so we will see.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:12:53 PM by ColinS »

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 06:45:12 PM »
It's decades since I owned an automatic and I'm now looking forward to the arrival of my CVT.  At the moment I think I will be driving it exactly as described in the opening by Skyrider.  The difference on the HR-V is that it has Brake Assist so we will see.

Brake assist will not make any difference, it is an emergency stop assist. The Jazz has it.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 06:58:44 PM »

Brake assist will not make any difference, it is an emergency stop assist. The Jazz has it.

Sorry I meant Automatic Brake Hold

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 07:04:37 PM »

The Jazz has that too. :-)

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 07:11:40 PM »

Really?  Did that come in with the face lift then?  I talking about the 10 minute brake hold.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:15:21 PM by ColinS »

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 07:18:34 PM »

Really?  Did that come in with the face lift then?  I talking about the 10 minute brake hold.

I don't know of a ten minute brake hold system, I thought you meant the hill start assist function.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 07:26:56 PM »
One thing fpr
The excuse of " I want to turn my brake lights off " does not work for me. They would probably be the only car in the queue without brake lights on. I will select neutral and handbrake on for a long stop to give my foot a rest and if it is a really long stop turn the engine off.

I think many drivers don't realise that cars with brake hold leave the brake lights on.   VW group cars didn't used to but they changed it a few years ago.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 07:36:41 PM »

I don't know of a ten minute brake hold system, I thought you meant the hill start assist function.

That's because it isn't on the Jazz but it is on the HR-V

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 07:37:58 PM »
One thing fpr
The excuse of " I want to turn my brake lights off " does not work for me. They would probably be the only car in the queue without brake lights on. I will select neutral and handbrake on for a long stop to give my foot a rest and if it is a really long stop turn the engine off.

I think many drivers don't realise that cars with brake hold leave the brake lights on.   VW group cars didn't used to but they changed it a few years ago.

Yeah I noticed that on the demo car.  Bit of a design fault I think

Skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 08:21:53 PM »
What is the ten minute brake hold used for?

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 08:43:42 PM »
What is the ten minute brake hold used for?
Keeps the brake applied after releasing the brake pedal until the accelerator pedal is pressed. You can use this system while the vehicle is temporarily stopped, such as when you stop at a traffic light.

Tags: