Author Topic: "Warning approaching object"  (Read 12117 times)

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
"Warning approaching object"
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
My car warning system got itself in a knot whilst I was driving this morning, reporting "Warning approaching object" on the screen, I turned the parking sensors off but that made no difference, when I stopped I checked the camera and parking sensors were clean, the next time I started up everything was ok. The symbol was showing the front sensors flashing but there was no warning sound.

I hope this is not going to happen again but it looks like a bug in the software to me.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: "Warning approaching object"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 02:28:56 PM »
The warning on my Mk 3 was briefly triggered one day by a vehicle parked in a driveway on the outside of a bend, but it's otherwise been OK.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 02:48:35 PM »
Whatever happened to the Mk1 eyeball ?

Vic.

csp

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 03:00:17 PM »
That is what I used to check the camera and sensors when I stopped.

The trouble is that a system error like that is more of a distraction than any help when you are driving.

guest5924

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 04:42:03 PM »
My Wife was driving yesterday and for no reason the rear approach warning came on ,yes I have had a tow bar fitted
  by my dealer and I turn the system off when towing but it has not been off for two weeks .I switch the system off and back on and it seem fine now but I cannot under stand why it should have just come when driving on the main road .
                                  K L J

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »
I read this thread a couple of days ago and thought smugly "Nope, that's one problem I haven't got". And then today, for the first time in 5 months of ownership, it happened. It's just on the big touchscreen, there's nothing untoward on the circular multi-functional display (which usually shows parking sensor warnings as well). Nor do I remember getting the audible warnings that normally go with the parking sensors.

Now, my car suffers from the "Process system not responding" error and normally I cancel that notification; however today I couldn't be bothered and for the first time I just left it on the screen ... and suddenly for the first time I got the "Warning approaching object" error. I wonder if these are connected, ie the spurious "Approaching object" error is another symptom of an underlying android fault ?

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
What is the "Warning, approaching object" alarm for? If it is to warn of an impending crash then putting the brakes on would be better, and I thought it was supposed to do that anyway.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 09:23:49 AM »
Warning approaching object, is activated by the front parking sensors when near a wall/car.
Well that's the only time I have seen it anyway.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 11:01:52 AM »
Oh, ok that makes sense. We have turned the parking sensors off as they scream when you put it in the garage.

csp

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 11:08:29 AM »
The  "Warning approaching object" does appear when the car is close to an object ie when I put the car in the garage, but on one occasion the warning appeared when I was driving along and no where near any object and stayed on the LCD screen for the rest of the journey even when the parking sensors were switched to off.

I think this could be a software bug in the Android display unit as there was no warning sound.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 11:40:17 AM »
Wonder what effect a squashed fly or other insect would have on front sensors,  I know when it get too much dirt or frost / ice on one or more of my rear sensors they stay on continuous tone all the time reverse is selected as though I am closer than 300mm to an object. 

I assume warning may stay on screen to show a front sensor was activated even when sound was turned off ??

I have noticed small birds,  mainly wagtails,  carrying out a 'dead insect' removal service on carparks by pecking dead insects off front bumpers and number plates - maybe they will now extend this to front sensors  ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 11:43:28 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 10:02:09 AM »
Lol, you should mine screaming when I park it in my garage  :D

But I also had it go off once when an HGV entered a roundabout and passed close behind me. There's also a right hand bend through a village called Anyho where cars parked in a dedicated 'layby' sometimes trigger it as I drive past.

Tags: