Author Topic: Major Overhaul...deep joy.  (Read 1092 times)

MrPolite

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MK 2 Jazz 1.4
Major Overhaul...deep joy.
« on: May 21, 2023, 08:55:05 PM »
Well having bounced around in my shed of a Jazz (most battered example 2023) and not liking it very much at first, due to its rough running, 7 months has passed and...it still runs roughly. And it hasn't improved any.

But yet...I must admit it has grown on me. And nothing else has gone wrong with it. It's just worse as time has gone on...

Having had a look underneath, it actually seems quite solid, a little rust killer and paint on the sill edges should catch things in time. And I still haven't seen a MK2 as cheap as I paid for mine. So I've decided to give it something of an overhaul.  ;D

It's now up on ramps, and will receive:

A replacement starter motor (schreeeeech) what a horrid place it is located!

A new front oxygen sensor

Tappets reset (clack clack clack...) - well I'll have a go at least...

New coil  packs (why do they all look the same but have different part numbers? Would the car really notice the ones that are 50% cheaper? Hmmm)

A new lower gearbox mount

Another oil change

Some rust proofing and undersealing underneath.

Awaiting the arrival of lots of exciting boxes of goodies, including bent feeler guages - it's many a year since I've tackled tappets!

Gonna be a busy week... :o

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Major Overhaul...deep joy.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 10:12:51 PM »
 :D Sounds like a busy week indeed! Keep us updated on progress. Post some photos if you get time.

The coils have different part numbers? Never head of that. You'd have though a coil was a coil, was a coil.

I really like my Jazz, but it has a dent on about every panel. Sounds like a bit like yours. Adds to the character and I'm never worried where I park it. Extremely good little motor and looks fine from the other side of the road!

MrPolite

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 10:58:58 PM »
Oh yes, there's lots of different coil pack numbers, but apparently they don't all fit my 2008 1.4 car.

According to the internet my car needs 30520BR003 or 30520BR013. Of course they seem the most expensive ones, don't they?

Assuming that the engine is basically the same, why can't the ones from a 2017 1.3 model at half the price be used? They look the same, but Auto Doc's info and eBay say no! If they weren't such a faff to access I'd try them anyway...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 11:01:04 PM by MrPolite »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 02:30:12 PM »

jazzphil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GE
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 04:32:15 PM »
+1
In fact, why are you replacing a lot of these parts?  Have they really all failed? I can understand some preventive maintenance if your car's done colossal mileage, but otherwise...why?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 07:11:53 PM »
My starter motor had done almost 150K and it was as good as the day Honda fitted it. What is the problem with your one?

MrPolite

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 07:47:18 PM »
Why am I replacing all these parts?

Well the idea was for the car to run well for a good bit yet, however that plan may change with my latest discovery...

Car suffers from missing and poor performance, especially when hot, appears to be a sign coil packs are breaking down. They are 14 years old after all...

The starter motor is increasingly screeching and groaning, clearly on its last legs.

The tappets are clattering like an old Simca....

...but the engine uses no oil or coolant, and I think would respond well to a good bit of tlc.

HOWEVER...

...all that may be academic, as I've just discovered a hidden horror in the boot, caused by very poor previous crash repairs.  :o

I don't think its really worth doing much with, I'd say this significantly compromises the structure of the car.

Have a look yourself and comment!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/7kMhCpm
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 07:50:56 PM by MrPolite »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 10:45:52 PM »
That looks worse than the Mk1 I scrapped at Christmas time.  :(

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2023, 11:39:24 AM »
I wouldnt spend any money on it.  If you think it might just be non-structural surface rusting you could risk an mot fee and might be lucky and get another year out of it  - as it is.   

Thinking outside the box, and if you are adventurous  you could use the remaining time looking for a similar  shaped model thats  mechanically sound and rust free but a bargain price because of  some superficial crash damage . Simple bolt- on things like smashed lights, grill, crumpled front wing, dented door panels etc.(swop the whole door) .  Then cannibalise your car for parts to make  one goodun.  It could be a newer car if parts are the same.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: