Author Topic: AC clutch not engaging.. yippie-kay!  (Read 1875 times)

Brakballe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II GG3
AC clutch not engaging.. yippie-kay!
« on: April 20, 2023, 05:40:01 PM »
Hi all in this sacred congregation!
Ok, finally we had nuff sun up so it got hot enough outside so to for the first time have a need for a (working) AC, which.. didn't work..
OK. I have read a previous thread here and is in progress finding out what it is about. Good thing is that I know my way around electronics by profession and is not shy from doing some tinkering. For now I have stated that the clutch is not engaging. And the pecking order to me looks like this:
1. Check fuses, done
2. Check relay. In progress, hard to access here. Think I need (re)move the battery then pull out the relay and check it.
3. If not the relay, measure the AC clutch solenoid.
4. Cry..

The car is a 2011 GG3 with 71k kms on the odo.

What I'm asking about is a kinda poll about those of yours that have had problems with the AC clutch not engaging on your Mk.II what was the reason? Basically the most common reason and the fix.

For now I will burn some incense and do Viking rituals in hope for it's just the relay when I finally can access it..

Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 07:10:15 PM by Brakballe »

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
Re: AC clutch not engaging.. yippie-kay!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 07:33:40 AM »
Have you had the pressures checked?

This is always the first thing to check as without any refrigerant the clutc will not engage.

Brakballe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 10:38:19 AM »

This is always the first thing to check as without any refrigerant the clutc will not engage.

Hm.. nope. OK. Will check it. That was the thing on yours?

GBH

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 06:23:35 PM »
This is always the first thing to check as without any refrigerant the clutch will not engage.
[/quote]

[/quote]

My Jazz is fortunately OK but have had problems with with other cars I owned.

After paying out lots of money on having someone look at them and suck air through their teeth, with the comment "It could be ......." and then spending more money when it wasn't, I ended up buying a set of gauges and a book on the basics of Automobile A/C systems and taught myself how to fault-find. (It did help that I had an engineering background).

Brakballe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 03:33:55 PM »
Did just order a set of cheapo gauges. Where do the low pressure switch sit?

This is always the first thing to check as without any refrigerant the clutch will not engage.

[/quote]

My Jazz is fortunately OK but have had problems with with other cars I owned.

After paying out lots of money on having someone look at them and suck air through their teeth, with the comment "It could be ......." and then spending more money when it wasn't, I ended up buying a set of gauges and a book on the basics of Automobile A/C systems and taught myself how to fault-find. (It did help that I had an engineering background).

« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 03:37:10 PM by Brakballe »

GBH

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 03:06:34 PM »
Cannot help regarding "pressure switch" because as  said I have not needed to work on my Jazz (yet).

The set of manifold gauges I bought (eBay) were similar to these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353520273609?hash=item524f7348c9:g:CYUAAOSweGVguFO6 .

They came with all the necessary hoses & connectors in a blow moulded box and full instructions in Chinese! However, they have paid for themselves with regard to finding the actual problem. For example, it was suggested by several people that the low pressure switch on my Volvo V70 was faulty but after replacing it and still finding that the clutch did not engage I bought and used the manifold set of gauges and found that the refrigerant pressures were low and needed recharging.

Brakballe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 07:42:39 PM »
Cool, and where did that "the low pressure switch on my Volvo V70 was faulty but after replacing it and" sit?!?!

GBH

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2023, 07:45:33 AM »
The low pressure switch on the Volvo was located at the top center of the firewall, in the low pressure side of the pipework. Easy to see and reach, but then everything on the Volvo was easier to reach with plenty of room to work, unlike the Jazz where I cannot even pull a fuse from the main board so have to ask my son to do that as I am considerably less supple than a few years ago. :(

Brakballe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 06:38:14 PM »
New gas! Was almost empty. Way below the "low pressure switch" engage.
NOT WORKING!

Now: check solenoid relay, low pressure switch and clucth solenoid.

Yes, fuses done.

Must be some with a MkII with a busted AC fixed that know what it was about?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 09:27:14 PM »
Is the clutch itself engaging? With the engine running and the AC switched on, check the compressor is actually turning.

Brakballe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2023, 08:58:45 PM »
Is the clutch itself engaging? With the engine running and the AC switched on, check the compressor is actually turning.

Thats the thing: clutch is not engaging

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2023, 09:16:56 PM »
Then the clutch itself may be defective. Can you connect a multimeter to the connections and check you are getting 12v there? If so, it is a faulty clutch.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2023, 07:50:05 AM »
I have no experience with your model of Jazz, but the most reliable way to check if the clutch is still functional is to power it independently.  Often the electrical connection is directly on the unit rather than with a flying lead. If so unplug it and arrange a separate 12V supply and earth to the terminals and see if it operates, do this with the engine stopped of course. At least it will tell you if it is faulty or the problem is elsewhere.

GSX600FMAN

• 2014 Jazz Hybrid GP1
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE6 1.4EX, GG6 1.4EX. Now Jazz Hybrid (2014) April 2019
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2023, 05:12:01 PM »
I would say the easiest thing to do first is to take it for a AC service ( may be your Honda dealer approx £108) they should probably drain your refrigerant, measure it, ‘clean and condition’ it and replace with the correct amount after then performing a pressure / vacuum test for leaks. If your system is good it will all work as should, if not they should at least know the issue, wether it’s c clutch, low or high pressure switch (if there is a high pressure switch) or relay. Then work from there if it don’t work. Let us know.

GSX600FMAN

• 2014 Jazz Hybrid GP1
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE6 1.4EX, GG6 1.4EX. Now Jazz Hybrid (2014) April 2019
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2023, 05:36:08 PM »
I would say the easiest thing to do first is to take it for a AC service ( may be your Honda dealer approx £108) they should probably drain your refrigerant, measure it, ‘clean and condition’ it and replace with the correct amount after then performing a pressure / vacuum test for leaks. If your system is good it will all work as should, if not they should at least know the issue, wether it’s c clutch, low or high pressure switch (if there is a high pressure switch) or relay. Then work from there if it don’t work. Let us know.

Tags:

anything