Author Topic: First service tomorrow. “Extras offered”  (Read 3031 times)

Jazzyone

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 hybrid
First service tomorrow. “Extras offered”
« on: March 22, 2023, 12:59:47 PM »
First free service on my Jazz SR tomorrow. Had a courtesy call today from Vertu Honda dealership asking if I want extras that they offer. Which are an engine flush besides the oil change ( it’s only done 3k miles).A fuel additive in the petrol tank to help clean fuel system. Lastly an air con treatment to disinfect it!. All for £49 !!
I’ve said I’ll think about it but I won’t be having them. Anyone else been offered similar? I think it’s just a way
To try and boost income but I’ve never been offered these on any car. Times must be hard but if they offer 5 years free servicing what do they expect.
Have to say that it’s probably the nicest car to drive of any I’ve owned. It’s so comfy and effortless acceleration makes it a pleasure to be in and of course very economical.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: First service tomorrow. “Extras offered”
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 01:29:45 PM »
I agree. I didn't get offered anything extra but I would also have declined.

Shouldn't need it on a new car.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 02:56:56 PM »
Yes - I usually get these upselling "offers" from my dealership. They always ask me if want to replace the batteries in both remotes in addition to fuel additives, air con service etc.

SouthernExile

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 4 SR Crystal Black (70 Reg)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 02:58:16 PM »
Yes, when my Jazz had its second annual service in September 2022 I was phoned up beforehand and offered the same extras, all of which I refused. My five year service plan was not free but it was half the usual price, so not much of a money-maker for the dealer (which in my case is also Vertu Honda).
I can't see any motive for these offers other than a rather feeble attempt to make some marginal profit on the servicing operation. They must know that most people will refuse them.
Meanwhile, they are selling second-hand cars which are the same model, age and mileage as mine for only about £1k less than I paid new two and half years ago.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 03:16:27 PM »
Never been offered those extras and would decline.   Engine flush - never.       Aircon disinfect and petrol treatment might be a good idea in year 3 but you can easily do both  yourself for less than half that price.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 03:41:47 PM »
Good point about fob batteries.

On my Civics I changed mine at 3 years but with these keyless jobs that are presumably transmitting/recieving all the time, apart from the 2 button trick, how often should you change them to be safe ?

Don't want to get caught out with a dead fob.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 04:10:51 PM »

On my Civics I changed mine at 3 years but with these keyless jobs that are presumably transmitting/recieving all the time, apart from the 2 button trick, how often should you change them to be safe ?

I learnt from experience with my past 4 Renaults, all of which were keyless. I always carry a spare battery in the glove compartment now. Not that I have needed it, because there was always a warning message on the display that tells you the battery is getting low. As yet, not had the Jazz long enough to see if this happens on a Honda.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 04:43:37 PM »
Good ploy, carry a battery or 2, thanks.

Single CR2032 I think.

Guinness 2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Sunlight White
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 04:45:22 PM »
I had an H-RV for 7 years - just replaced it with Jazz Hybrid. Changed the batteries in my keys twice (was notified by the car both times) but only just replaced the battery in my wife's key (no notification apparently!) for the first time. Great idea to carry a spare battery in the car.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 05:25:33 PM »
Just checked my fob battery.

This fob I used from Sep 21 to Aug 22. The car had only done about 2,500 miles on that fob and it's spent most of its time hung up deactivated.

Even so, after 18 months it was borderline (bottom gauge is button battery) :

I've got some 2032 in stock so after I've tested the spare tomorrow I'll do the in use key :

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 07:05:44 PM »
Jazzyone,(& anyone else interested)
May I as an ex Shell Retail person make the following comments.
Oil flush at 3k miles? they are having a laugh. All manufacturers dealers use fully synthetic oil these days. They all have a quoted 'life' of 10K miles! (but servicing demands 10k miles or 12 months.
Fuel additive to clean the system at 3k miles again they are having a laugh! At that mileage even if you use supermarket petrol (as I do, cos I'm a tightwad! ;D) your fuel system will be pristine. If you use Shell VPower, you would NEVER need a fuel cleaner!
Air con deodorant. OH PLEASE! this isn't a joke they are just taking the P!
Fob batteries...... Buy on EBay rather than pay dealers or high street prices. Duracell 2032 with free postage 99P!!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314207059850?hash=item4928333f8a:g:lzkAAOSw2DNh9mTM&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA0F3H11I3v1Zg0obF1JS51odwxMVKHgDUbXxO%2BkRh87WVyBQwCwTLqoU2sMfsnYEIIxVHUiv0GoZSBS3ZfQ6yjoV1vKtXRaPisaa53XkOjB6HpmFpB9M4FfWEabB5DkKVREJ%2BuxdZnS3i9ZY3EWW90UNGGie6ZcagnUt3k24DQs1J%2FzlgN9bFxngHIaUDn9%2Bp2AsYF%2FCfIDJ%2FLC7Ei33RXthL5obEo097fokPfFP4ZyctIRGW2XfCu14tbuav0UEuhdjgUnFKNW4X1c9MaLzduU0%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8ryp6vhYQ
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 08:08:00 PM »
I bought the 5 service pack for my jazz for £649 which is cheaper than not paying in advance . I wouldn’t let a dealer put engine cleaner into my car nor any fuel tank additive. I only buy non supermarket petrol as I think it’s better and on my last Nissan car got 7 to 10% more per tank with shell ! If Honda don’t say it’s needed then don’t let your dealer . My dealer offered me new wiper blades at my first service but they were still ok . My wife’s Toyota gets a free battery swap at every service . (And you can see then do the service from behind the glass wall in the customer waiting area )Even on 5 year free to the customer every dealer still makes a profit . Many buy the oil in 45 gallon drums and oil and air filters are discounted massively to the dealers . Finance and servicing are the big profit centres for dealers - go study their annual company published accounts to see the figures..

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 09:11:59 PM »

Mine went recently but the car did warn me that the battery was low before it would have expired. Putting a new one in was pretty simple.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 09:55:53 PM »
Lidl often have Lithium coin cells on sale at reasonable prices. The uncommon size is the one in the Mk2's fob.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 04:10:47 AM »
If you do carry a spare fob battery also carry a suitable coin or tool to prise open the 2 halves.

Tags:

anything