Author Topic: the mystery of the Engine light  (Read 787 times)

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
the mystery of the Engine light
« on: August 15, 2022, 04:09:56 PM »
strange thing happened saturday .. had to do a 4 hour round trip to Oxfordshire and back to the west midlands.. as we all know it was damn hot.. had a trip to a nice pub by the thames for some grub. but when we left following our son inlaws honda civic 4 years old lol.. the trusty ol jazz had a sudden loss of oooomph . only slightly when accelerating from 3rd etc. anyway i then noticed the damn engine light had popped up glaring me in the face from the dash grrrr.. although the car seemed to run fine apart from a slight sluggish acceleration.. as my cat was stolen a couple of months back i put it down to maybe a cheapo aftermarket lamba sensor packing up.. anyway drove back to shropshire ok even on the motorway.. light was still on yesterday.. this morning refilled her up for the week ahead . as soon as we pulled out the garage i noticed the engine light had gone out.. ? been fine ever since .. freaky ?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: the mystery of the Engine light
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 04:22:16 PM »
There are generally two types of fault, those which are "latching" and those "non-latching".

Latching are basically serious or significant issues, principally those which will cause emission control to be compromised. As the name suggests, these cause the MIL to come on and stay on (latch) until someone goes in and cancels it. The MIL stays on even if the original fault goes away on its own.

Non-latching are less significant faults, some which may compromise drivability or emission control to some extent but if the fault goes away (e.g. poor intermittent electrical connection, a sensor slightly out of range etc) and the system returns to normal operation the MIL can cancel on its own. A fault code may well still be stored in the ECU for future reference.

Sounds like you had a non-latching type fault, possibly a hot fuel handling issue for example, which once it cooled and sorted itself means the MIL has gone out again.

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 04:41:19 PM »
had it booked in today at the garage . although now its out he said leave it for now and they will look if it comes back again .. another strange thing was on the return trip bearing in mind we had the air con . on all day . it kind of faded and was like the fan blower stopped working ? i turned it off for about 10 mins then all was well again .. faded away  as before so turned it all off again .. then not far from home upon turning it all on again . its been working fine.. very strange .

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 07:38:43 PM »
I had a similar issue. Light came on after a 40-mile trip but as it was raining and I was a mile and a half from home I pressed on. It reset before I reached home and years later, has never come back.

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 07:42:47 AM »
I had a similar issue. Light came on after a 40-mile trip but as it was raining and I was a mile and a half from home I pressed on. It reset before I reached home and years later, has never come back.
hope mines the same. although on the air con issue yesterday i thought although its all operating ok its not as cold as it was . so maybe time for a top up

Tags: