Author Topic: using sat nav for specific routes  (Read 1475 times)

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
using sat nav for specific routes
« on: July 26, 2022, 07:48:01 PM »
Today we went from Canterbury to Heywoods Heath. But we wanted to avoid motorways and go via Ashford, Sissinghurst, Tunbridge Wells and East Grinstead. If we used Apple CarPlay and told it to avoid motorways it still directed us via Maidstone, and we didn't want to go that way. The same for inbuilt Garmin maps. Also we have a standalone Garman satnav which (although we didn't use) would probably have done the same. Basically, although we roughly knew the route, we still wanted to have live traffic to warn us and take us round any diversions - of which there were several. Am I doing something wrong, can it be done or is this just beyond satnav capabilities?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: using sat nav for specific routes
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 05:49:22 AM »
The built in unit is crippled compared to a standalone Garmin PND.

What you can do, but it's a faff, is to plan your route on a PC using Garmins Basecamp then transfer the file to the PND.

I wanted to do similar many years ago but having Microsoft MapPoint I used that as it also has a Garmin friendly export facility. Worked well.

Basecamp isn't the easiest to use but those who take time to learn it are pleased.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: