Author Topic: Farewell to the Jazz, hello to the HR-V  (Read 1362 times)

Pogglefish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda HR-V Adv. Style in Sand Khaki
Farewell to the Jazz, hello to the HR-V
« on: Today at 12:33:59 PM »
So I traded my Jazz in for an HR-V last week.  I was actually planning to get another Jazz, but a combination of deals available on the HR-V, several new ones that they wanted off the forecourt on 24 plates, and the particular one that I bought being in a the (let's say) distinct colour of Sand Khaki, actually made it about £15 a month cheaper for me to lease an HR-V than a new Jazz.

After one week, my initial thoughts on the difference between a Mk.4 Jazz and the current HR-V are as follows:

- The HR-V is a lot more comfortable.  Like the Jazz, the steering wheel still doesn't come out quite as far as I'd ideally like, but the seats are much better.  It is also a little quieter insider at high speed.

- Whilst, seats up,  the boot in the HR-V is not noticeably different in total size to that of a Jazz, it is shallower and therefore has noticeably more floor space, so bags do not have to put on top of each other as often.  Seats down, there is quite a bit more load space.

- The HR-V has three driving modes (sport, normal, eco) as compared to just two (normal and eco) in the Jazz.  The only use for sport so far found is when it is necessary to accelerate quickly on (say) a short slip-road which brings me to:

- The HR-V can accelerate faster than the Jazz, but both cars are equally happy with the high-speed cruise.

- Being a bigger car, the HR-V's fuel consumption is slightly worse; I averaged high fifties in the Jazz, low fifties in the HR-V so far.

- The HR-V has a better stereo.  Actually I think the unit might well be the same, but it has more and better speakers.

- The HR-V has some toys that the Jazz does not have, but none of these are things you could not live without (hill descent control (why? it's not a 4x4 and doesn't pretend to be), dual zone air-con, automatic tailgate, air vent diffusers and possibly a couple of others so minor I have forgotten them).

- The HR-V does not have silly plastic fins on its wheels.

In summary therefore, the HR-V is very slightly better than a Jazz.  It is not, in my opinion, £8,000 better than a Jazz (which would be the difference in full new price, top of the range to top of the range) but if you lease/PCP your cars as I do, and you can get an HR-V for less per month than a Jazz with all the care packages thrown in for free, the change is probably worthwhile.

- Pogglefish
« Last Edit: Today at 12:36:16 PM by Pogglefish »

JB

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Advance Sport Hybrid
Re: Farewell to the Jazz, hello to the HR-V
« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:54:06 PM »
I have [sport, normal, eco] in my jazz advance sport.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:56:49 PM »
I have recently being offered a great deal on the HR-V if I traded the Jazz in (which I paid cash for). I have owned the Jazz for only 1.5 years, and 18000 miles, so still have 3.5 years warranty/4 services left too. The cash plus the Jazz offer was ridiculously cheap and I can see why people do the swap.

Me... not for me. Having moved down to a Jazz because my previous Renault Capturs were too big (just one reason), the last thing I want is another SUV type sized vehicle.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:40:50 PM by Nicksey »

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:36:33 PM »
The only thing that also holds me back, apart from the fact it is my wife’s car, is the size. The Jazz is perfect for zipping around town etc., whilst also being so unbelievably versatile. I a sure the HRV is as good as described by those who have bought one, but it is horses for courses really.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:50:16 PM »
I've had my HR-V for almost 18 months. It's definitely a nicer vehicle to drive and more comfortable to ride in than the Crosstar it replaced with less intrusive safety aids. On paper the HR-V boot is no larger than the Crosstar's but it looks and feels much bigger (one reason it was bought). At the moment my HR-V has averaged 13% worse mpg than the Crosstar with the same usage pattern but this includes two winters and only one summer.

I agree that the HR-V would benefit from being slightly narrower. I would like the Mk 3's drivetrain in the Mk 2 HR-V's bodyshell! However, I think most vehicles are becoming more obese in order to get good scores in the safety tests but road widths and parking spaces haven't changed. I wonder if Honda's design team focus too much on prioritising the north American market rather than Asia and Europe.

I get offers from my dealer (currently discounts on pre-reg vehicles) which never include the Jazz. I wonder why? Is it the only Honda that sells itself?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:56:32 PM »
Dealers don't want you to change cars just provide another finance package to get them through this month's target.

crosstarhonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz crosstar
« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:32:45 PM »
Last April traded in the crosstar for a new hrv! Had a cracking deal with gatwick honda. One year to the day and 12,500 miles later another great deal, car plus £3,000 and another brand new hrv. So, second hand car values still strong and new car prices at rock bottom. All because of car wow and motorway who the dealer matched. Well chuffed.

Tags:

anything