Author Topic: How to swap Engine  (Read 1808 times)

TommyW

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012
How to swap Engine
« on: May 15, 2020, 06:11:36 PM »
Been given a 2012 Jazz in great condition apart from knackered engine. Managed to pick up a low mileage replacement and now looking at the best way to fit.
Before I crack on any tips for fitting would be really appreciated? ie
Does it go in from below or is it easier to install by removing radiator and bumper (it need a new rad anyway)
Also is it easier to leave the gearbox in place or do they come out/in as a unit?
 ...and any other things I need to do to make it a simple swap
Thanks

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: How to swap Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 06:43:18 PM »
Having replaced /repared several engines and gearboxes over the decades, drop the entire front supension/subframe/gearbox engine and lift teh body up is easiest - if you have the lifting equipment..

Alos assumes you have a full set of spring compressors/ball joint separators/special tools.. and preferably a work bench heavy duty..

But modern engines are aluminium and so much lighter.. (memeories of a Trumph 2.5PI cast iron straight 6 plus gearbox... my right big toe has never recovered since...the crankshaft fell on it despite safety boots...the crankshaft was OK...

TommyW

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 11:55:58 AM »
Ok thanks for the advice. I’ve got a decent workshop but no 4 post lift - however I do have a chain hoist and other ways to lift the car and block up safely! Is it possible to remove the bumper and radiator and install from the front?

ianhj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Si
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 02:26:17 PM »
These links may help.

This is for a 2017 Jazz though I would think a GE is broadly similar:

Look at last post. Yes engine can be dropped from the bottom which would be my preferred way. If you take off the transmission you'll not have much else to remove eg ac condenser, alternator, some hoses and connectors.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-13/58643-engine-out-top.html

Good luck. Take it slow and steady and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Oh yes, get yourself a copy of the Haynes Honda Fit Manual. Its based on the American version but most of it applies to our cars.

TommyW

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 08:06:30 AM »
Thanks, in the link the guy reckons it’s a million times easier to remove from the top. I’d rather not have to take out the gearbox, subframe etc so I’ll take off the front and see how easy it is first!

TommyW

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 07:40:06 AM »
I can categorically confirm you can change the engine from above without the hassle of lifting vehicle and removing subframe gearbox etc or even bending the vin plate. Take off air con compressor, alt, pulley, inlet manifold, engine mount and lower with the engine slightly twisted then when at the right level turn back to line up gearbox. It is a very tight fit but by taking your time it will ease in without force.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 11:41:31 AM »
Your engine out/back-in photos would be of interest on the forum.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 02:31:44 PM »
Your engine out/back-in photos would be of interest on the forum.

I concur.

Anyone that has tackled an engine swap will tell you how helpful someone else's experience of the same job is, and all cars have their own quirks and best methods.

ianhj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Si
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 06:31:06 PM »
Well done and thanks for the update.

:)

Tags: