Author Topic: 1.4 EX and USB query.  (Read 15973 times)

guest776

1.4 EX and USB query.
« on: February 02, 2009, 04:14:33 PM »
Hi there, My Girlfriend has just ordered a new Jazz 1.4 EX with Ishift. when we went on a test drive we tried out here Ipod touch through the USB connector and all works fine IE shows songs, albums, artists, ETC. We was told that you can connect a USB device to the adapter.
I went and purchased a 4gig USB flash drive (Sandisk Cruzer) and copied a load of albums to it straight out of my itunes folder in Mp3 format, when connected it just says on the display, USB not supported. :'( :'( :'(
Any info regarding what USB device is supported will be greatly appreciated.
I must say what a great site this is , and how much we both liked the Jazz with Ishift, i have read some peoples comments on Ishift i think it is what you get used to, had a BMW auto a few years ago so this is completely different, Just love it :D :D :D

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: 1.4 EX and USB query.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:53:50 PM »
I could be wrong but the USB connector is purely for connecting mp3 type players not flash drives

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 07:32:36 PM »
The USB connection (or CD player for that matter) won't play itunes songs thanks to Apple playing silly buggers with the itunes protected format.

Convert the itunes songs to WMA or MP3 first and they might play via the flash drive. Either burn the songs to CD-RW as an audio CD (from within itunes) then rip to wma or mp3, or download software off the internetto convert the songs directly.

guest598

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:13:32 PM »
Don't really understand it when my son use's my car he has memory stick with his music copyed onto it.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »
Just been looking into it more and according to the brochure 'Always use the recommended USB flash memory device. Some USB flash memory devices may not work in this audio unit.'

guest776

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 10:02:54 PM »
That is exactly what i need to know, what are the recommended flash USB  drives. have searched the Net but unable to find any information :'( :'( :'(
Just been looking into it more and according to the brochure 'Always use the recommended USB flash memory device. Some USB flash memory devices may not work in this audio unit.'

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 10:34:20 PM »
Could be the way it's been formatted.
Maybe try FAT32?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 09:00:35 AM »
I would go back to honda and see what they say, not a dealer but head office

guest489

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 07:38:39 PM »
I bet you won't find anyone that knows what the 'recommended flash drives' are - there's thousands of them out there. Most of the ones I have are unbranded freebies, used for marketing purposes - how could Honda keep track?

I tried a couple of flash drives out on an EX in the showroom. They worked fine. There's an MP3 'player' embedded in the Jazz somewhere beyond the USB port in the dash. It seems fairly happy with standard flash drives or, if you put an MP3 player in there, it will probably read the MP3 files directly from the memory of your player - that's how you are able to change tracks from the car's controls.

I don't think you will have problems if you copy MP3 files direct from a Windows PC operating system onto the flash storage device, avoiding all the itunes stuff. I'm not certain, though, if there will be a problem with very high bitrate MP3.

I use FLAC lossless format a lot, and that certainly won't play on the Jazz, even though I can play it on my personal player. If you use the more arcane formats [like FLAC] you'll have to use the 3.5mm jack connection, which the new Jazz also provides, but you'll lose control of changing tracks from the Jazz controls.

I've ordered the manual Jazz EX for March delivery. I listen to music all the time in the car, quite loud. So how on earth could I clearly listen out for the engine note to know when to 'feather' the throttle to keep smooth gearchanges on the i-shift? Nope, I'm afraid the i-shift left me cold. Maybe, in 3 years time, I'll trade in the EX Manual for a hybrid CVT. I'll say a very sad goodbye to the CVT box in my current Sport.

guest776

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 09:39:49 PM »
Could be the way it's been formatted.
Maybe try FAT32?

Yup thanks for pointing me in the right direction Geoffers. I had formatted the USB flash drive on a Mac, so just had to re-format to FAT 32 and not Mac OSX Journalled, and now all works great. Thanks lads and lassies, what a great forum ;D ;D ;D

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 12:57:17 PM »
Well  done Rob!  ;D

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 09:24:48 PM »
When do actually get round to test drivng the new Jazz I will take my USB flash drive with me. It's a Scandisk model I got for my birthday back in November so it should work.

As long as it's in FAT32 and contains MP3/WMA's and not itune's protected formats then all should be OK.

guest436

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 09:08:21 PM »
Yup thanks for pointing me in the right direction Geoffers. I had formatted the USB flash drive on a Mac, so just had to re-format to FAT 32 and not Mac OSX Journalled, and now all works great. Thanks lads and lassies, what a great forum ;D ;D ;D

Ah, the price we pay for having Macs and not some 'Windows Machine'   :D

guest436

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 09:28:44 PM »
The USB connection (or CD player for that matter) won't play itunes songs thanks to Apple playing silly buggers with the itunes protected format.

Convert the itunes songs to WMA or MP3 first and they might play via the flash drive. Either burn the songs to CD-RW as an audio CD (from within itunes) then rip to wma or mp3, or download software off the internetto convert the songs directly.

Indeed.

Here comes the science bit....concentrate! When MP3 players started appearing a decade ago or so the record industry understandably got nervous about users copying songs willy-nilly. So they came up with DRM (Digital Rights Management) to control the duplication of the content. MP3 files have no ability to include this anti-piracy protection, so Apple added DRM to the existing ACC format and used it for downloads from iTunes. Apple (being Apple) will not allow other devices - such as MP3 players from Sony, Creative, etc and car audio units - to play DRM ACC files. The idea is good old fashioned politics/money-making - you want to download from iTunes, you buy Apple's iPod or install iTunes on your computer.

Meanwhile, Microsoft came up with WMA (Windows Media Audio) which does virtually the same thing as ACC files. But Microsoft (being Microsoft) would allow manufacturers of MP3 players and car radio/CD players to include WMA support if they paid a license fee. Sound familiar? That's basically why most of you are reading this on a PC with Windows and not an Apple Mac.

:D

Lau

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 05:28:01 PM »

There's an MP3 'player' embedded in the Jazz somewhere beyond the USB port in the dash. It seems fairly happy with standard flash drives or, if you put an MP3 player in there, it will probably read the MP3 files directly from the memory of your player - that's how you are able to change tracks from the car's controls.

Are you saying the Jazz actually has a piece of hardware in addition to the radio to allow the connection of a USB device?

I was planning on getting the radio out of my wife's Jazz Comfort and find what I thought would be a USB socket and simply wire it out to her iPod using a decent USB chassis connector.

If you are correct then that won't work I'm afraid, not without the extra hardware. Sure, using the audio in is an option, but I'd prefer to integrate the iPod fully, meaning track selections/title display etc...

Thanks!

Lawrence Robinson
The Netherlands

Tags:

anything