Author Topic: Spacesaver spare wheel  (Read 8208 times)

Peter5145

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 3 Jazz 1.5 Sport
Re: Spacesaver spare wheel
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2024, 09:51:22 AM »
I carry a full sized spare in my Mk4, strapped down in the boot space.It takes up quite a bit pf space but I can still fit  a medium sized suitcase laying on  top of the tyre and quite a lot of luggage to its side.   More remaining volume than the total boot space in my 2007 Yaris.   
That seems quite an extreme solution, but I suppose if you're set on that particular model but feel a spare is essential you don't have any alternative. Fewer and fewer cars on the market now even seem to have provision for a spare, let alone having one as standard.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2024, 11:06:12 AM »
manufactures have to save all the weight they can to comply with the emission lobby, hence lack of tools jack spare tyre etc

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2024, 07:15:37 AM »
Published this before under other item.

Learned through split tyre and having to use the (dangerous) 'emergency' skinny spare that a nothing beats a full size spare to get back and running quickly & safely.

So I carry a full size spare plus trolley jack in below boot floor, attached photoes for info.

Essintial journeys such as going to airport cannot wait for AA etc.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 07:26:40 PM by aphybrid »

Hanszl2001

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz MK3 Élégance 2018
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2024, 10:39:03 AM »
What about a Zocipro Tire Repair kit?
It works excellent. Small compact DIY kit.
Pro's: cheap, quik fix, no Tire change.
Cons: not found yet..

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2024, 05:16:23 PM »
The last 2 punctures I had, decades ago, no bottle of anything would have fixed those
Let's be careful out there !

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2024, 07:54:35 PM »
The last 2 punctures I had, decades ago, no bottle of anything would have fixed those

In addition to @Kremmen's thoughts please keep in mind that a tyre once exposed to this gunk cannot officially be repaired and be used any longer!

On the upside: Modern tyres are much more forgiving of normal punctures and our chances are good to safely reach next service station thanks to the on-board air compressor (just don't use the gunk!)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 08:28:04 PM by coldstart »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2024, 03:33:50 AM »
I don't know if it's still the same but years ago I checked prices and Honda wanted circa £30 for a replacement bottle but Tyreweld was just £10
Let's be careful out there !

pauly58

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid Elegance
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2024, 08:49:25 AM »
It's very wise to include a trolley jack as aphybrid has done, I found it next to impossible to use a regular screw jack, the car is extremely heavy, we bought an electric one, press a button & up she goes. Only had to use it the once but a Godsend.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2024, 09:44:19 AM »

On the upside: Modern tyres are much more forgiving of normal punctures and our chances are good to safely reach next service station thanks to the on-board air compressor (just don't use the gunk!)
[/quote]

In this situation of a slowish puncture, and you decide to carefully drive on to the next (motorway) services, I had heard that the breakdown companies won’t attend; as they would if you are on the hard shoulder.

I would love to have this possible myth dismantled!

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2024, 12:26:12 PM »
It's very wise to include a trolley jack as aphybrid has done, I found it next to impossible to use a regular screw jack, the car is extremely heavy, we bought an electric one, press a button & up she goes. Only had to use it the once but a Godsend.

Indeed I had one of them for time, can't remembr name/type, used it mainly for lifting in garage where space a bit limited also very fast compared to other methods.
all was well until one day would not lower!! Reverted to jacks.

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2024, 06:36:10 PM »
In this situation of a slowish puncture, and you decide to carefully drive on to the next (motorway) services, I had heard that the breakdown companies won’t attend; as they would if you are on the hard shoulder.

As I have not yet experienced this dire situation far from home yet (fingers crossed!) I cannot tell you about the demeanour of breakdown companies.
My only "slow puncture" so far occured only five miles from home and I was able to go to the tyre shop of my choice and they were like: "What do you want? - Everything looks okay!" - Yes - That's because I inflated the tyre before I drove to you!

Turned out there was a screw in the tyre and they were able to remove it and safely fix the puncture because I didn't apply the gunk.

So, I'm a bit at a loss regarding the "myth" part of your posting - care to clarify?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 07:05:28 PM by coldstart »

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2024, 04:05:44 PM »
The real problem with changing a wheel by the roadside is that it's very dangerous. My neighbour who was a Police traffic cop told me that many people get badly injured by passing traffic while changing a wheel. His advice was to immediately summon breakdown service and let them sort it out. AA etc now carry universal fit spares which will get you home or to a tyre repair centre.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2024, 06:53:43 PM »

As I have not yet experienced this dire situation far from home yet (fingers crossed!) I cannot tell you about the demeanour of breakdown companies.
My only "slow puncture" so far occured only five miles from home and I was able to go to the tyre shop of my choice and they were like: "What do you want? - Everything looks okay!" - Yes - That's because I inflated the tyre before I drove to you!

Turned out there was a screw in the tyre and they were able to remove it and safely fix the puncture because I didn't apply the gunk.

So, I'm a bit at a loss regarding the "myth" part of your posting - care to clarify?

The “myth” part of my post, was that the services were not classed as the highway for breakdown assist, and a removal truck would be required, (at a cost), for onward travel to a garage for repair.

I await the thoughts of others.

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2024, 05:56:23 AM »
I haven't had a puncture requiring a spare for over 20 years, that one happened in Cornwall on a country lane after I'd passed someone repairing a wall, managed to pick up a nail somehow.

More recently our Seat Mii picked up a nail in one tyre but we didn't even realise for several weeks as the puncture was so slow, it was picked up when we had it serviced. The car had only done about 1000 miles so it was annoying having to buy a new tyre when the damaged one had done so few miles. Perhaps todays tyres are more resilient than the older type as suggested by Nicksey
Our Skoda CityGo came with a spare (deep under the boot!).  Surprised your Mii didn't.

Tags:

anything