Author Topic: MPG for those interested.  (Read 172682 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: MPG for those interested.
« Reply #345 on: September 26, 2019, 05:06:43 PM »
Good numbers. Had a look at your Fuelly page and you can see how the time of the years impacts your mpg.

Definitely because so much of my stop start stuff is compounded by low temps and, in the winter, it's rare to do much longer distance stuff. One thing I have noticed is that a 3 mile return trip to the supermarket is worse. much worse, than a 6 mile return trip to pick up our grandson as and when required even though the traffic conditions are pretty much identical. Obviously there would be a difference but it's a big one.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #346 on: September 26, 2019, 05:36:43 PM »
Yes, since my wife has been off work and my mother-in-law has required regular visits, the bulk of my trips have been 30+ miles. That makes a huge difference.

Jadze

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz EX Navi 1.3 CVT
« Reply #347 on: November 24, 2019, 02:59:40 PM »
Hi,

Im new here. I just bought Jazz 2016 cvt 16K odo. Driving mostly ( lets say 75%) in the city, on W. Yorkshire hills, a bit motorway. No matter how hard I try and slow accelerate and etc, my average mpg is only 34 mpg. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OxIpVLHX1BNQMQhlSz5Sg8gxeYEwB0-e
Just wonder what's wrong with my car...  ::)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #348 on: November 24, 2019, 05:13:02 PM »
Check your tyre pressures when cold.

Jadze

• Approved Member
« Reply #349 on: November 24, 2019, 07:46:16 PM »
Check your tyre pressures when cold.
Thanks.
Just checked, my 185/55 R16 its 31.5 PSI front  and around 30 PSI rear ones. It must be 33 PSI isn't?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #350 on: November 24, 2019, 08:07:20 PM »
I set mine, Mk 1, to 35 all round.

Jadze

• Approved Member
« Reply #351 on: November 24, 2019, 09:28:57 PM »
wow  :o

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #352 on: November 25, 2019, 10:38:58 AM »

There is a maximum pressure marked on all tyres and this will be well within that. I know that several EV drivers exceed recommended pressures to lower rolling resistance and increase range.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #353 on: November 25, 2019, 11:01:28 AM »
wow  :o
A couple of psi over is better than a couple under. And I don't have to worry about them going under if I miss a pressure check (about once a month, weather permitting).

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #354 on: November 25, 2019, 11:25:28 AM »
Check your tyre wear pattern,  under-inflation can cause extra wear at edges of tread, and over-inflation causes more wear in centre of tread. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #355 on: November 25, 2019, 11:36:45 AM »
Check your tyre wear pattern,  under-inflation can cause extra wear at edges of tread, and over-inflation causes more wear in centre of tread.
After 15,000 miles on these tyres the tread is uniform, across the pisté.

Jadze

• Approved Member
« Reply #356 on: December 01, 2019, 10:58:15 AM »
Hey guys.
I want to share what I found out after couple week experimenting with my Jazz. First of all, fuel. Tried Shell V-Power and I feel significant better mpg and better acceleration. Second, same as everyone advised - pumped all 4 tyres to 34 psi, feel like 3%-5% better mpg.
But third thing is a bit disturbing... In my opinion, speed limiter is poorly programed in Jazz. Without speed limiter set up, car is amazing - very consistent reaction to pedal, smooth acceleration. But if I just set speed limiter manually or setting Intelligent Speed Limiter, things become different. Starting acceleration with limiter on is truly limited also, then, if you push pedal down, it reacts a kick car forward, causing like enormous fuel spray in motor and of course, lowering my mpg. In other words, I noticed poor mpg with limiter on, and smooth nice acceleration and nice high mpg with limiter off.
I want to say that these are just my observations and I can be wrong, but that's what I noticed.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #357 on: December 01, 2019, 11:08:07 AM »
Tried Shell V-Power and I feel significant better mpg and better acceleration.
I found the same, but when I crunched the numbers I found the cost per mile cheaper using 95 octane.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11304.msg76310#msg76310

Reply #33 says it all.

I am currently back on 95 octane from my nearest convenient supermarket.

Jadze

• Approved Member
« Reply #358 on: December 06, 2019, 01:27:28 PM »
Another thing (I'm sure many mentioned that before): cold engine mpg. Just started drive short  distance after 2 days (average temp outside 6-10C) and get only 26 mpg after 7 miles trip to shop.
Heres video about cold engine mpg (it's in polish, but you will get the idea):

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #359 on: December 06, 2019, 03:21:11 PM »
After a discussion on another forum, on Wednesday I set my ScanGauge up to display coolant temperature and set off on my fairly regular trip to the south of Edinburgh. According to the local weather station the ambient was 8°C and the coolant temperature when I came out of the garage was 10°C.  It took a mile or so for the blue light to go out (55°C) and another couple of miles on the temperature got up to 81°C. Once I was on the motorway that dropped back to 79°C (probably due to the higher speed and greater airflow through the radiator). Now, in the summer, it usually runs at 83°C and anywhere up to 93°C. On Wednesday, for the 40 mile trip, it never got above 81°C.
Returning an hour later it read 50°C when I started out and the same thing happened on the way home.
Shortly before reaching Kirkcaldy I switched the heater off, and then it climbed to 83°C, but only accelerating away from junctions, and while climbing a steep hill.
What this says to me is that in the winter, the engine never gets completely warmed up, and even that couple of degrees must effect fuel efficiency. So for the best fuel efficiency in winter, keep your speed down and if you can, leave your heater off (My wife always takes her coat off before getting in the car whereas I don't. I keep telling her that in an accident, if trapped in the car, she could die of hypothermia before she is cut out!).

Tags: