Author Topic: Service Reminder System  (Read 2267 times)

RayS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 SE
Service Reminder System
« on: November 24, 2019, 02:18:09 PM »
Hi all,
I own a UK 2018 reg SE 1.3.
I don't have a handbook, but I have downloaded the online version.
When scrolling through the verious screens on the Multi-Information Display, I am unable to see the Service Reminder System page. I have used the up/down button on the steering wheel & the dimmer on the instrument panel. Is this not available on this model or am I doing something wrong?

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: Service Reminder System
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 02:55:19 PM »
If it’s not in the menu list it means your dealer has not turned it on from new.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 03:06:36 PM »
have you got a stamp in the service book that says the dealer has turned the system off and you are on 12 month/12500miles service plan as there is a page for the stamp to go to tell you that? it should be the page just before the service stamps start

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »
have you got a stamp in the service book that says the dealer has turned the system off and you are on 12 month/12500miles service plan as there is a page for the stamp to go to tell you that? it should be the page just before the service stamps start

I bought my car new from a main Honda dealer, and the SRS was turned off but the dealer neither mentioned this at the handover nor stamped the service book. I had to go back and ask them to stamp the book.

In other words a missing stamp doesn't mean it hasn't been turned off.

RayS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 04:44:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
This is an ex Avis rental car recently purchased from Motorpoint.
I have checked the service book & the page is not stamped to state the system is turned off.
Having checked the PDI sheet & sevice book both are only partially completed & unsigned, so are meaningless.
I guess it's avisit to a dealers to have it turned on.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 05:02:37 PM »
I would think twice before having the SRS enabled as it is likely to result in more visits to the garage. This month the car decides that the engine oil should be changed, in a couple of months time it's something else .... Unless you live next to the garage, there's a lot of convenience in minimising the number of visits.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest4871

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 08:57:52 PM »
I would think twice before having the SRS enabled as it is likely to result in more visits to the garage. This month the car decides that the engine oil should be changed, in a couple of months time it's something else .... Unless you live next to the garage, there's a lot of convenience in minimising the number of visits.

Agreed.

The car would have been delivered with it off i.e. not turned on.

The book would be stamped if you, having had it turned on, then have it turned off.

Not a good idea to even turn it on unless you really really want to....

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 10:17:48 PM »
My Jazz came from the dealer with the SRVS disabled, I asked to enable it at the first service (20000km, 12500miles, one year). Second service called by the SVRS after 18000km (11200miles) and one year, probably was the year passed to call the service. Third service called by the SVRS after 17500km (10900miles) and 9 months, called by oil wear. Maybe my engine has run with bad oil at the end of the first year, the SVRS would have called the service before... I don't know.
Considering that oil degradation depends by mileage but also by how the car has been used (short or long trips, cold or hot weather, time spent at idle, time spent at full throttle, ....), an oil control system should be used (and followed) in every car. An ECU is definetly better to measure the oil wear than a common user.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:29:35 AM by jazzaro »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 10:36:16 AM »
I'd like mine turned off. I do approx 3,000 miles per annum and don't really need it - car goes in yearly on the dot.

I wonder, at the same time, if mine isn't faulty. Last time it just called for a "B" service - no oil nor anything else - just a general check over. I have a service plan and the dealer assured me that they would do all the items that would normally come up at 2 years and this, crucially, includes a CVT fluid change. They also said "we can see your system has been set up for 12 monthly services"

Were they bull+++++++ng me?

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 02:48:24 PM »
I'd like mine turned off. I do approx 3,000 miles per annum and don't really need it - car goes in yearly on the dot.
My father had a Cmax 1.6 diesel, 4-5000km/year; typical usage was 3-4km for trip, going to the supermarket, to the church, to the pet store and back home, then 3-4 days stop. Each 2-3 months one longer trip, 100-150km. Since the user manual wrote "service every 20000km or one year", he used to service the car every 20000km, forgotting the "one year" and maybe some lines about heavy usage that some user manuals can have. The user manual should have cleared that "20000km or one year" means the first of the two limits reached...
The result was turbocharger broken and hydraulic tappets closed; short usages with low pressure gas caused high quantity of blowby water vapour to condense inside the oil sump, the oil rarely reached almost high temperatures so water remained in the sump, could not evaporate and be sent to the recycling. So after a couple of years, oil was not oil but a sort of emulsion, with lots of sludge and brown carbon varnish, caused by water, by fuel diluition and oxidation. That oil had to be changed much earlier before 20000km, and an oil control system would have been opportune.
I wonder, at the same time, if mine isn't faulty. Last time it just called for a "B" service - no oil nor anything else - just a general check over. I have a service plan and the dealer assured me that they would do all the items that would normally come up at 2 years and this, crucially, includes a CVT fluid change. They also said "we can see your system has been set up for 12 monthly services"

Were they bull+++++++ng me?
No, I don't think so. Maybe items to check following the B service list are not depending from oil wear, so they follow another way, time or simply the mileage.  I understand this can be annoying.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 02:50:04 PM by jazzaro »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 05:00:44 PM »
I watched an interesting Youtube video from John Cadogan (Autoexpert). He's a straight talking Aussie and he described exactly that scenario where somebody waited until the mileage had been reached rather than the time limit and the manufacturer wouldn't pay for an expensive repair under warranty. My useage is pretty similar so I am aware that the oil gets a hammering hence I get everything done on a time basis. Same goes for the CVT fluid.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 08:05:51 PM »
Hm, CVT oil has less problems to solve than an engine lubricant, it  has to cool the belt and the pulleys,  provide a slight lubrication between those parts and work as power fluid as pulleys diameter is controlled by hydraulic actuators. It doesn't get in contact with fuel, water, a continuous oxigen flow, particulate,  very hot surfaces and hot gases, so short trips and low mileage are not a heavy usage for a CVT.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29169/oil-degradation-cause
https://jalopnik.com/what-happens-if-you-dont-change-the-oil-in-your-audi-fo-1692660828
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:10:02 PM by jazzaro »

Tags: