Author Topic: Retford Honda closing  (Read 6372 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Retford Honda closing
« on: March 08, 2019, 04:21:28 PM »
Just heard that the local Vertu Honda showroom is closing down on Friday April 5th.

I don't really go a bundle on main dealers, but Retford Honda have been about for a long time, and seem to have a decent reputation and lots of loyal local customers - as is clear from the significantly higher than average number of Hondas in the town and surrounding villages. It is a relatively small site though, and Vertu have other larger sites not too far away in Doncaster, Lincoln and Mansfield.

It is a shame to see any business in the town having to close down though, and that just leaves Perrys Ford as the last main dealer locally.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Retford Honda closing
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 04:33:05 PM »
I wonder if it is something that is happening in retail more generally with firms consolidating into fewer but larger units. I also wonder if the increase in leasing is an issue. My daughter leases and doesn't go anywhere near a dealership.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 05:16:25 PM »
A spokesperson for Vertu Honda said: "This has not been an easy decision to make. However, as part of a business review, in conjunction with Honda UK, it has become evident that customers can be well served locally by our dealerships in Doncaster, Lincoln and Mansfield. This enables investment, particularly as Honda moves towards electric vehicles, to be more concentrated."

Retford isn't a large place, and it's not a big dealership, so I can see the logic. I just don't think we will be seeing so many Hondas on the local roads in future, it really is like Jazz town.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 05:33:35 PM »
We have Ford, Lexus, Volvo, Toyota, Honda and Mercedes locally. However, Suzuki, Skoda and VW(been here since 1974) have closed down in the last 24 MTHS. The sites remains have been left empty.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 06:01:32 PM »
I don't really go a bundle on main dealers, but Retford Honda have been about for a long time, and seem to have a decent reputation and lots of loyal local customers - as is clear from the significantly higher than average number of Hondas in the town and surrounding villages.

It's really noticeable there are far fewer Hondas around us (near Chester) since Honda caused the closure of well regarded Saunders and Two Mills independent dealerships, and gave the franchise to a regional group, Holdcroft, who opened Honda Cheshire Oaks.

We used to find ourselves in little Jazz convoys driving into Chester.   Not any more.

Two Mills looked after us flawlessly for years.  I've had more customer service issues with Cheshire Oaks Honda than any other franchise dealer I've ever dealt with.  And, of course, there's no other realistic choice of dealer - even the next nearest two, a good 90 min round trip, are also owned by Holdcroft, and they share senior staff these days as the business doesn't support very many chiefs.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 06:48:26 PM »
It was the same when the Honda dealer I worked out of closed, here in Kirkcaldy. The place is crawling in old Jazz's, but not so many new ones. Mine originated from the local dealer - back in 2006.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 07:20:56 PM »
I live in the middle of a trio of Vertu Honda dealerships, Lincoln, Grantham and Boston, the one I have used for twelve years. I wonder if there is enough business for all of them these days.
There's plenty of Hondas locally although I haven't seen a 19 plate of any make yet.

Vic.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:28:52 PM by VicW »

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 10:04:43 PM »
My older Jazz came from the Retford Honda stock 13 years ago before it was Vertu Honda, although I did actually buy it at Grantham Honda,  they just had it brought over for me, sorry to see it go, shame for Honda fans in Retford.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 08:46:54 AM »
My older Jazz came from the Retford Honda stock 13 years ago before it was Vertu Honda, although I did actually buy it at Grantham Honda,  they just had it brought over for me, sorry to see it go, shame for Honda fans in Retford.

Still trades as Retford Honda, even though it's part of the Vertu group. It's been a Honda dealer for a long time, it was Harrison's before it became Retford Honda.

I guess it will end up another bomb site.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 11:51:38 AM »
Tunbridge Wells Honda closed last year, so did the Mazda dealer it shared the forecourt with, although Mazda was picked up by Hendy group and moved (I believe) to the Ford/Suzuki showroom.

guest7494

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 03:56:13 PM »
Farnham Surrey,Honda dealer still in operation, I have a 5 year service agreement with them,but the attitude of service desk staff,leaves a LOT to be desired,you are left with the distinct impression that you are attending for there convenience very off hand  not quite indifferent but almost.
At the end of this service agreement that was part of sale deal,I will definitely NOT be returning.
The alternative Honda Dealer is some distance away.
In fact possibly a local garage will perhaps be a better alternative with hindsight,worth a try anyway.
Over the years I always did my own servicing and or repairs but getting out and getting under these days could present me with a problem,Getting up again.
Sorry to ramble on but I have Over the recent years lost faith in main dealers generally.
If any one has any recommendations for reliable Indi in this area please advise many thanks.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 07:25:13 PM »
Call in a see if they are disposing of any parts at bargain prices

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 07:53:19 PM »

They would have to be a significant discount from main dealer prices to get me interested!

It seems that most of the staff are being relocated to the other branches, I can see the stock being moved internally too.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:40:18 PM by sparky Paul »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 08:16:47 PM »

Dealers do not tend to keep much stock, in fact it is a rare business that keeps stock these days, the accountants call stock 'wasted money'. Our local dealer only seems to carry a few filters, when I tried to buy a new auxiliary drive belt a few years ago they told me I could collect it next day.  Cox motors 'seem' to keep a fair number of parts, but most parts these days live in  central warehouse and get ordered one day and delivered to dealer the next day ( and maybe that is the way Cox do it as well). 

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 09:55:52 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 04:02:35 PM »
Farnham Surrey,Honda dealer still in operation, I have a 5 year service agreement with them,but the attitude of service desk staff,leaves a LOT to be desired,you are left with the distinct impression that you are attending for there convenience very off hand  not quite indifferent but almost.
At the end of this service agreement that was part of sale deal,I will definitely NOT be returning.
The alternative Honda Dealer is some distance away.
In fact possibly a local garage will perhaps be a better alternative with hindsight,worth a try anyway.
Over the years I always did my own servicing and or repairs but getting out and getting under these days could present me with a problem,Getting up again.
Sorry to ramble on but I have Over the recent years lost faith in main dealers generally.
If any one has any recommendations for reliable Indi in this area please advise many thanks.
Depends on how close you live to Farnham,  someone on here recommend an independent which I believe is in the Woking area. You other nearest dealer I assume is Guildford Honda, which according to my cousin (who bought from Guildford and services at Farnham) is the same franchise holder (Yeomans?)

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Tags:

anything