Author Topic: Magic seats and driving visibility  (Read 8480 times)

IrisCx

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid Elegance
Magic seats and driving visibility
« on: February 14, 2024, 07:03:31 PM »
Hello, I bought a 73 reg Hybrid Jazz Elegance in Dec. Never had a Honda before. I just noticed that when the "magic" seats are up, there is no visibility through the rear window! Driver's seat is as high as can be (and I have a cushion!). I'm so disappointed, as had been sold on being able to use these to create space for transporting things (eg plants, which benefit from vertical support), whereas in practice this feature seems pretty much useless (for me, it's too dangerous to drive without any kind of rear view). Have others experienced this on the newer model and are there any suggestions for adjustments to make it work? Thanks

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
Re: Magic seats and driving visibility
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 07:12:22 PM »
You are right, this is different in the MK4 from previous models and is kind of a nuisance to me as well (I'm 1.67 m / 5.5 feet).

For me the rear view isn't completely obstructed, it is just limited.
My understanding is, that legally no rear view is necessary as long as you have two working door mirrors (otherwise loading up to the ceiling wouldn't be lawful).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 07:32:07 PM by coldstart »

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 07:14:38 PM »
You have 2 side mirrors you can use for rear view; you also use those when having passengers in the back or transporting something high. Or when towing. So for me it is not a problem.
In my Crosstar it is about 2 inches difference in height between using the magic seats or not using them. Usually it’s not the seats blocking the view but what I transport in the Jazz!
That said: folded downwards you end up with a very low and smooth cargo space; I don’t know what you need to transport but that might be the better option for you?

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 07:31:42 PM »
I don’t know what you need to transport but that might be the better option for you?
Why I use the magic seats:

The magic seats folded up let me place heavy items low and central.
So they are less prone to slide than when simply placed on the folded down seats.

Plus additional items in the boot are still securely separated from the cabin.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 07:53:39 PM »
I don’t know what you need to transport but that might be the better option for you?
Why I use the magic seats:

The magic seats folded up let me place heavy items low and central.
So they are less prone to slide than when simply placed on the folded down seats.

Plus additional items in the boot are still securely separated from the cabin.
I see! A very good reason! Maybe you can fold them down somewhat after placing the heavy items; there is a hollow space below the seats. Or if you only use the smaller half of the magic seats?

IrisCx

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid Elegance
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 08:14:26 PM »
Thanks all.

Maybe the Crosstar is different from my Elegance, as passengers in my car do not completely obscure the rear window in the way that the magic seats do.

Personally I've never felt comfortable driving with just side mirrors (therefore have never fully loaded a car to the ceiling - although it's interesting to note that this is legal, which I never knew!).

As mentioned, I like the idea of having some vertical support for things like plants, which sit nicely in the passenger footspace.

It does sound like it this is normal for Honda so I guess I'll have to find a compromise that is comfortable for me, which may well include just folding the seats flat, or just one magic seat. Thank you.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 08:31:57 PM »
I use the magic seats often. We carry two fold up bikes in the space, and they fit nicely.
Regarding the view, I haven't had any problems using just the side/door mirrors. Most vans don't have screen mirrors, so not a problem for them either.

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 09:44:30 PM »
I'll have to find a compromise that is comfortable for me, which may well include just folding the seats flat, or just one magic seat.
That's exactly what I'm doing (if the items allow it).

I find it a bit more bearable If I only fold up the seat behind the drivers seat, which leaves about half the rear window free.

ahavoja

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar 2024
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 11:29:32 PM »
One adjustment that might help a bit could be to turn the rear view mirror upside down, like in my photo on this thread: https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=16100.0
At least in 2024 Jazz model it raises the mirror a bit higher, so it should see over the rear seats slightly better.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 11:31:45 PM by ahavoja »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 10:17:15 AM »
I too find the interior mirror view restricted with the magic seats up.  But it doesnt bother me much. They are very useful for the occasional 'abnormal load'  but I dont use them regularly.

I often drove vans without an interior mirror  at work and  still tend to use door mirrors more often  than the interior mirror . I seldom ,if ever,  spot things in the interior mirror that are not also visible  in the door mirrors.  But often spot things in the door mirrors that would not be visible on the interior mirror, or only in the  peripheral.   Such as a vehicle that is an immediate threat to my overtaking or changing lane. 

Sorry but  If I found it that difficult to drive on door mirrors  only  I would question whether I am currently using them as much as I should.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2024, 10:52:06 AM »
I agree not as good as on previous Jazz models where the rear view was not affected. Fortunately I only have to use the magic seats occasionally, mainly for tall plants and it's only a short journey to the garden centre, and of course for parking there is the rear view camera anyway. When we go on holiday I generally just fold one of the rear seats down which gives plenty of luggage space, so it's not a major issue for me.

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2024, 12:01:46 PM »
Never been an issue for me, it's not often I use both magic seats up at the same time, occasionally just one.

However, a trick missed by Honda would have been to install the rear view camera that is on the E.
This works really well(once the visual adjustment is made) but offers a significantly wide rear view in the mirror and is perfect for when the usual view in the mirror is obstructed by luggage or rear passengers

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2024, 01:50:28 PM »
FMIB beat me to it. Not only do you have the rear view camera mirror which in 99% of circumstances is superior, and can click back to mirror easily if wanted, but you can switch on the 2d overview from the stalk when not reversing, at junctions for example or moving/parking at low speed.

Maybe there is safety reasons but why not have the ability to have the main screen switched to rear view permanently (not just in reverse) if the rear view is obstructed by stuff?

Terryp

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz EX crosstar
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2024, 05:53:19 PM »
I actually find it better with side mirrors, mainly I think from years of driving a van with no rear view from the cab. In some ways it helps with safer driving as its not just quick glances.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2024, 05:23:50 AM »
Same here, door mirrors

The Civic had a double jointed rearview mirror which was brilliant for adjusting it's height. Wonder why they didn't use that
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything